The Student Room Group

Sixth form or college?

I am currently in year 11 and wanting to do my A levels starting in September. However, i really hate the school I am currently at due to being bullied and the strict rules in place. I have been dying to leave since the start of year 10. Therefore i really do not want to stay at my school to do my A levels. I have applied for a college near me that offers A levels but when my school found out they told me that I 'wasn't allowed to leave because i need to represent the school.' They threatened to make me have a meeting with the head about it. The teacher I have told now treats me differently because i don't want to stay at school. It's really stressing me out because they keep telling me i will fail if i don't stay at school and i really don't need that extra stress.

I know college is a lot more independent but i think i am very capable of that. I am a high achieving student and got some of the best results in the mocks. I am just unsure where to go for my A levels. I know i would prefer the environment at college but I am worried that my school could be right and that i will fail my A levels if i go to college.Is this true? Or does it just depend on how much individual work you put in?
Original post by ErinMei
I am currently in year 11 and wanting to do my A levels starting in September. However, i really hate the school I am currently at due to being bullied and the strict rules in place. I have been dying to leave since the start of year 10. Therefore i really do not want to stay at my school to do my A levels. I have applied for a college near me that offers A levels but when my school found out they told me that I 'wasn't allowed to leave because i need to represent the school.' They threatened to make me have a meeting with the head about it. The teacher I have told now treats me differently because i don't want to stay at school. It's really stressing me out because they keep telling me i will fail if i don't stay at school and i really don't need that extra stress.

I know college is a lot more independent but i think i am very capable of that. I am a high achieving student and got some of the best results in the mocks. I am just unsure where to go for my A levels. I know i would prefer the environment at college but I am worried that my school could be right and that i will fail my A levels if i go to college.Is this true? Or does it just depend on how much individual work you put in?

WHAT??? How can the school threaten you to stay in school. Its your choice, not there's. If you hate your school that much then just leave and go to college. Its good to make a fresh start for your A level studies with new teachers and new friends. You will be much happier at college and this will reflect upon your grades. :smile:
Original post by ErinMei

If you don't feel comfortable studying at your school then you probably won't be able to maximise your potential.
You will not fail if you go to a different college, there's no way your teacher can predict that, it's just scaremongering! A levels require a lot of independent work anyway so as long you work hard, you'll be fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest