The Student Room Group

Why are women ghosts scarier than men?

I was watching a few clips from Slenderman today, and it didn't scare me despite the normal triggers which usually make me feel uneasy. I then thought "what if slenderman were actually a woman?" and for some reason I felt I would be more spooked.

Most horror movies which have got to me had a female who was possessed or haunted. Or a child. The Ring, Jessabelle, Oculus, Paranormal Activity etc.

Any idea why that is?
Women are scarier than men in real life, that's why. It is known.

Also, Woman in Black?
Because of the hair covering their face. :afraid:
Has anyone heard the story of the smiling man? Freaks me out!
Original post by Blondie987
Has anyone heard the story of the smiling man? Freaks me out!

[video="youtube;_u6Tt3PqIfQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6Tt3PqIfQ[/video]

:mmm:

-----------------

Have no idea tbh. It's weird but I wouldn't be scared of a ghost dude either.

Also probably cos women are seen as the fairer sex so angry woman = bad
Angry guy = meh, more prone to anger so not scary :dontknow:
Original post by somemightsay888
[video="youtube;_u6Tt3PqIfQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6Tt3PqIfQ[/video]

-----------------

I feel like what you said about 'the fairer sex' may be kind of true (although obvious they aren't actually the fairer sex lol) it's the same reason kids are often used in horror movies, they seem so harmless and unthreatening

Also I haven't seen a video of it so thanks for linking it, I'm kind of intrigued but also scared haha
Original post by somemightsay888

-----------------

I thought it might have something to do with women (and children) seeming in real life more vulnerable, so the idea of one having all this repressed supernatural stuff is scary. Also, women are more sensitive so might be seen as more in touch with the supernatural, more prone to psychological problems.
Original post by lizfairy
I thought it might have something to do with women (and children) seeming in real life more vulnerable, so the idea of one having all this repressed supernatural stuff is scary. Also, women are more sensitive so might be seen as more in touch with the supernatural, more prone to psychological problems.

Yeah, it's the idea of women and children being non-threatening really compared to men. In slasher films for example, the big 4 villains (Jason, Freddy, Leatherface, Mike Myers) are all men, most victims women.

So to turn round a genre/gender stereotype and put it in the horror film backdrop is pretty effective. One of the best films for this is Blair Witch Project; the witch isn't even seen on the film but the thought of a woman that evil/monstrous makes the film. And yeah, in general women are the once doing seances and all that stuff in films, generally seen as more thoughtful and tbh more intelligent in the big picture

Quick Reply

Latest