The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

have you received a reply from it yet? I haven't, o deary...
Reply 2
Lou_
Has anyone taken part in a Nuffield Bursary Project?
What was it like?

Would it be good for my CV?

I did one a couple of years ago. Depends really on what project you do, but I thoroughly enjoyed mine and found it immensely helpful in developing a range of skills.
And if you put a good effort in, I don't see why it wouldn't be good for your CV, although to be frank, I did mine for reasons more than that.

What project have you applied for/are going to do?
Reply 3
Either one about genetics of leaf form and studying the genetic behaviour of a plant species
Or one about whether cells remember not to forget.. the poly-comb genes in de-differentiation and regeneration, involves dissecting and measuring seedlings.

The 1st sounds better!

What did you do Ribbons?

Beautiful Plumage I've not even applied! My teacher gave me the sheet with all the projects last week and asked me if I wanted to do it.
It'll probably be too late to apply now. Ah well..
Reply 4
Lou_
Either one about genetics of leaf form and studying the genetic behaviour of a plant species
Or one about whether cells remember not to forget.. the poly-comb genes in de-differentiation and regeneration, involves dissecting and measuring seedlings.

The 1st sounds better!

What did you do Ribbons?

Beautiful Plumage I've not even applied! My teacher gave me the sheet with all the projects last week and asked me if I wanted to do it.

My project was about stress in carers of people with Parkinson's disease. Very much related to what I wanted to do at university and heaps of fun.:smile:

It is definitely a worthwhile activity for the summer, especially if you haven't planned anything yet. I would apply for it ASAP, you probably haven't missed the deadline yet, it should have that somewhere on the sheet?
Reply 5
Hey there! I did a nuffield bursary last year, intersubband materials and quantum opics - specifically the quantum cascade laser (sounds more glamerous than it is :P)
Can't recommend it enough - whether your pursuing science further or not - it really does look great on CVs and on UCAS personal statements. I mean, my project had something of an impressive name - employers just see it and think that im some sort of genious (im really not :P). And when it came to university interviews (im doing for theoretical physics), it gave the interviewers something to ask about and something to impress them with - it clearly shows intelligence if you get through it :smile: More interesting for them to ask about that than which sunday league football team you play for and how its helped you!
Plus, if you cover all your expenses for less than they bursary, you make a nice little earner :P I did all my travelling and eating for about £30, so i had quite a bit left over :smile:

So yeah, if you have the chance - do it. It does take up your summer, but its one summer out of a lifetime. I had to wrestle to get it, my school didnt even know it existed, but im glad i did do it.
Plus im hoping to go back to do the undergrad bursary next year with the same guy, itll give me a chance to start building up what could become a project for my final year at uni if i work it right :smile:

Good luck if you do go ahead with it! You wont regret it! (just dont expect to do anything tooo fancy!)
i did a Nuffield bursary in Plant development at the John innes Centre in Norwich.. it was cool, looks good on the CV etc.

What was even better and looks even better on the CV is what i did the following summer. The lab i worked in on my bursary asked me to come back and i did 10 weeks of full payed (£5.80/hour) lab work for them and had an amazing time.

What i also didnt realise at the time is how interesting i actually found the work. i didnt know much about plants before i started but now ive just decided on my 3rd year dissertation, and it closely resembles (and includes alot of the techniques) the work that the PHD students i was working for were doing..

Do it.
Reply 7
^ Oooh that's so cool that they asked you to come back to do work! Sounds like a great way to get some cash during the summer.

I'm getting excited about it now!!

There were no contact details on the sheet so my teacher emailed them and I'm going to see him tomorrow to ask him if there's been anymore news on.

I hope I'm not too late!
Reply 8
Lou_

The 1st sounds better!

What did you do Ribbons?

What are the qualifications that you need to apply for this? Can it be longer than 8 weeks?
Reply 9
arod
What are the qualifications that you need to apply for this? Can it be longer than 8 weeks?

Do you mean for a Nuffield Bursary Project?
If I remember correctly, you have to be a year 12 student and that's about it really.
The project duration varies with the project itself of course, but I don't think they last much longer than 8 weeks- for summer holidays aren't usually that long anyway (which is when the research projects are undertaken).
Most projects last 4-7/8 weeks.

Much luck Lou, and let us know how you get on:smile:
Mine was only 6 weeks.. you get paid a little too, £280 or so. The downside is that you have to do a presentation... but its good practice!

Theyre arent really any entry requirements, but you need to be an A-grade student (at least in the subject the project will be on) and the application has to come from your school rather than from yourself i think.
Reply 11
That sounds so good.
I would have loved to have done it. Last year the people in my biology class were offered a chance to do it a day I was out of class. Two people said they would, which was the maximum we were allowed, then ended up not even doing it.
it was good.. i spend six weeks observing PhD standard genetics and chasing bumble bees around a field (hmmm yeah), playing with dry ice, and freezing bananas in liquid nitrogen (not technically part of the program) in one of the leading labs in the world for plant development. good stuff!
Reply 13
You dont have to be A grade - depends on how many people apply in your region :smile:
And it doesnt have to go through school, just needs your teachers signature - i did mine external to school, just got my physics teacher to sign the form! :smile:
Reply 14
I've got a 4 week Nuffield Bursary planned out this summer on studying some polymer chemistry and making some block copolymers which should
act as surfactents - it's gonna involve producing a series of polymers and
measuring their molecular weight.

I really dont have a clue how I'm going to be doing it, and the Proffesor who I am doing the bursary with has told me I don't need to do any additional reading before hand. I'm looking forward to it but I'm also a bit nervous, especially about the presentation. Hope it's good.

Anyone know how we present the project? because I've never been good with an audience, suppose it'll be practise though!
Reply 15
andyellison
I've got a 4 week Nuffield Bursary planned out this summer on studying some polymer chemistry and making some block copolymers which should
act as surfactents - it's gonna involve producing a series of polymers and
measuring their molecular weight.

I really dont have a clue how I'm going to be doing it, and the Proffesor who I am doing the bursary with has told me I don't need to do any additional reading before hand. I'm looking forward to it but I'm also a bit nervous, especially about the presentation. Hope it's good.

Anyone know how we present the project? because I've never been good with an audience, suppose it'll be practise though!

That sounds much fun;yes;
Added bonus if you haven't been asked to read up and stuff:biggrin:

My presentation was in this (kids' science!) centre, with other students who had undertaken a project, our teachers/project supervisors and a couple of people from the local university. Sounds a lot, but wasn't that much really:smile:
You can prepare a powerpoint and learn/practise what you're going to say and you'll be fine!
Reply 16
You have to give a presentation?! :eek:
Reply 17
Lou_
You have to give a presentation?! :eek:

Lol, it's not that bad, honestly.
All the other students that undertake a project in your region will be presenting too, and if my presentation day is anything to go by, the next person will be just as nervous as yourself..
Reply 18
Ribbons
Lol, it's not that bad, honestly.
All the other students that undertake a project in your region will be presenting too, and if my presentation day is anything to go by, the next person will be just as nervous as yourself..

I don't think the next person would be crying :p: Thanks for the advice :smile:

I heard I could use my project to apply for a Gold Crest award or something like that, apparantly it something to add to applications to unis, anyone know anything about that?
Reply 19
Brackets
I don't think the next person would be crying :p: Thanks for the advice :smile:

:laugh: You'll be fine ;yes;

I heard I could use my project to apply for a Gold Crest award or something like that, apparantly it something to add to applications to unis, anyone know anything about that?

Indeed you can.
http://www.the-ba.net/the-ba/YPP/BACRESTAwards/index.html
That is what it all is about :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending