The Student Room Group

is anyone going to promys europe this summer?

i got into promys and was wondering if anyone else was going? or if anyone has been there before, do you have any advice? how was it?
Reply 1
i got into promys europe for this summer as well. there are some quora posts describing the experiences. it seems really exciting.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-it-like-to-attend-PROMYS-Program-in-Mathematics-for-Young-Scientists
Somehow I got in also, very nervous/excited/insecure/etc but it should be good. I was trying to decide between this and Nuffield research placement, is this the obvious choice lol?
Reply 3
congrats on getting both, that's awesome! i'm sure both are great choices, i'm just curious, which one do you want to do? (i don't know much about nuffield, do you know what it's like?)
i'm also really looking forward to it, but i am a little worried that everyone is going to be really smart... and thanks for the link, i read the post and it sounds like a lot of fun! i'm glad they have lots of other activities to take a break from maths sometimes - last summer i was invited to a different maths camp and it was great fun but it was quite competitive and we did a LOT of maths in a very short space of time, i hope promys is a bit less intense
I applied for both because I didn't expect to be accepted to both, I have been "shortlisted" which I think means that the Nuffield team are trying to find a lab placement to put me in but there is no guarantee. The only thing is that it seems very hit and miss whether you are assigned a good project, I applied for physics and I saw one group were just assigned to update a web page for the research team? Whereas another group were actually doing some meaningful materials science work where they imaged crystal grains with light polarisation which is quite cool.

It's reasurring that there is someone else who is terrified too? I went to the ukmt hungary camp this year and the experience there was pretty much feeling dumb for 8 days... Hope I do better on this.
Naaah
Reply 6
Original post by AlisaMaria
i got into promys and was wondering if anyone else was going? or if anyone has been there before, do you have any advice? how was it?

Quick question - Is everyone that gets into Promys a math IMO/BMO2 progidy?
Reply 7
Original post by Nahom_.cbr
Quick question - Is everyone that gets into Promys a math IMO/BMO2 progidy?

Nah you just have to show effort in the problem sets. They care abt a for effort
Has anyone been accepted for this year?

Quick Reply

Latest