The Student Room Group

When do you find out if you have been approved for scholarship for a PGCE course?

Hi all,

As the title suggests I would like to ask if any of you know when do you find out if you have been approved for a scholarship for a PGCE course?

I am applying in 3 locations and if accepted on 2 or 3 of them I would like to have the option to chose the one that offers me a scholarship (if any) as it is higher than the bursary but don't know if I only find this out after I have confirmed my choice or before that. Please let me know which case it is if you have experience with the PGCE funding.

Many thanks in advance! 😊

Kind regards,
Emona
Reply 1
Original post by Emona
Hi all,

As the title suggests I would like to ask if any of you know when do you find out if you have been approved for a scholarship for a PGCE course?

I am applying in 3 locations and if accepted on 2 or 3 of them I would like to have the option to chose the one that offers me a scholarship (if any) as it is higher than the bursary but don't know if I only find this out after I have confirmed my choice or before that. Please let me know which case it is if you have experience with the PGCE funding.

Many thanks in advance! 😊

Kind regards,
Emona

Not sure I've heard of scholarships for PGCE courses before. Wouldn't you have to apply for them specifically?
Reply 2
Original post by EIL3EN
Not sure I've heard of scholarships for PGCE courses before. Wouldn't you have to apply for them specifically?

Hi EIL3EN,

Thank you for your response and apologies for the late reply on my side - I had horribly busy month with moving, job searching, finishing uni, etc, so was functioning in an emergency mode. That said, I have a bit of order in my life now and I am catching up on my correspondence.

On to the topic, there are scholarships available for the PGCE course but I do not know how to apply for them - maybe that should have been the question I posted instead but I assumed you are automatically considered for those the same way you are for the bursary. I will research more about that and will either post another question here or if I get enough info - will just add it to this thread.
Reply 3
Original post by Emona
Hi EIL3EN,

Thank you for your response and apologies for the late reply on my side - I had horribly busy month with moving, job searching, finishing uni, etc, so was functioning in an emergency mode. That said, I have a bit of order in my life now and I am catching up on my correspondence.

On to the topic, there are scholarships available for the PGCE course but I do not know how to apply for them - maybe that should have been the question I posted instead but I assumed you are automatically considered for those the same way you are for the bursary. I will research more about that and will either post another question here or if I get enough info - will just add it to this thread.

You apply via the institute that is offering the scholarship. They all have their own criteria, application processes and closing dates. Only certain subjects have scholarships and these are;

the Royal Society of Chemistry - chemistry
BCS The Chartered Institute for IT - computing
British Council - languages French, German and Spanish only
the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications - maths
the Institute of Physics - physics

They are very competitive and limited on how many they offer - my husband applied for the Physics one, and despite a 1st class UG, winning the award for the best dissertation/project in his year and an excellent application - he didn't get it.

You can find out more here
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-support/scholarships-and-bursaries
Reply 4
Original post by ChammyFTT
You apply via the institute that is offering the scholarship. They all have their own criteria, application processes and closing dates. Only certain subjects have scholarships and these are;

the Royal Society of Chemistry - chemistry
BCS The Chartered Institute for IT - computing
British Council - languages French, German and Spanish only
the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications - maths
the Institute of Physics - physics

They are very competitive and limited on how many they offer - my husband applied for the Physics one, and despite a 1st class UG, winning the award for the best dissertation/project in his year and an excellent application - he didn't get it.

You can find out more here
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-support/scholarships-and-bursaries

Hi ChammyFTT,

Thank you so much for your response and please take my apologies for the huge delay in my replying - I was looking for temp jobs over the summer, which took a lot of effort to sort out, then started working and did lots of overtime so I am really behind on my correspondence.

I am a Computer Science graduate so might stand a chance for the scholarship - will give it a go but I guess I won't expect much, given the details you provided. At least they provide a bursary for the training, so it is not all lost XD.

Thank you again for the help and have a great week ahead :smile:.

Kind regards,
Emona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending