The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering Meng vs Chemical engineering Beng(Hons)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
is this the case for all chemical engineering Meng or just this one at manchester uni????
Original post by Shadez
It's tough :laugh: but then again so are most engineering degrees

It is it's just that the master is an undergraduate one and internationally a masters is supposed to be done as a postgraduate. As far as I'm aware being accredited is just a stamp of approval that it is good school for chemical engineering.

Yep I'm doing a year in industry in my third year.
Reply 41
Original post by danr2
oh ok so are you saying you'd choose oxbridge over manchester if you had the chance?

Yes, but these reasons for me doing so wouldn't apply to most people. So generally speaking most people wouldn't I guess.
Reply 42
Original post by Shadez
Yes, but these reasons for me doing so wouldn't apply to most people. So generally speaking most people wouldn't I guess.

yeah but are you aiming to work in other countries? may I ask what you had for your A levels?
Reply 43
Original post by elkurdy
is this the case for all chemical engineering Meng or just this one at manchester uni????

I'm not too sure I'm afraid best to email the unis about it. However I wouldn't worry too much about it since a lot of companies value the experience gained in the year in industry
Reply 44
looks like I've got a lot of question for the uni tomorrow.
Reply 45
Original post by danr2
yeah but are you aiming to work in other countries? may I ask what you had for your A levels?

Yes, however I am not too worried about the masters being recognized abroad since having a year in industry and good university with international recognition should put a lot of weight on my application. Also getting the job comes down to yourself as an individual ie how well you can do at the assessment centers and interviews etc. All the degree and university at best regardless of what university you went to is put you into the interview chair. From there onward you're on your own :biggrin:

Do you mean what subjects I studied?
Maths, Chemistry and Biology - A-level
Reply 46
Original post by elkurdy
looks like I've got a lot of question for the uni tomorrow.

Do you have an interview tomorrow @ manchester?
Reply 47
no mate not manchester, already got an unconditional offer at Huddersfiled
Reply 48
Original post by Shadez
Yes, however I am not too worried about the masters being recognized abroad since having a year in industry and good university with international recognition should put a lot of weight on my application. Also getting the job comes down to yourself as an individual ie how well you can do at the assessment centers and interviews etc. All the degree and university at best regardless of what university you went to is put you into the interview chair. From there onward you're on your own :biggrin:

Do you mean what subjects I studied?
Maths, Chemistry and Biology - A-level

oh good.. why didn't you take further maths and physics? how is a level biology important in chemeng?
where you at a disadvantage applying with those subjects only?
Reply 49
Original post by danr2
oh good.. why didn't you take further maths and physics? how is a level biology important in chemeng?

lol i was a confused individual before a levels began coupled with bad advice i ended up picking psychology as my fourth as :laugh:

I did self teach some further maths in my gap year tho, lord did that help immensely would've been an even more confused individual without it.

Biology is useless for chem eng :u:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Shadez
lol i was a confused individual before a levels began coupled with bad advice i ended up picking psychology as my fourth as :laugh:

I did self teach some further maths in my gap year tho, lord did that help immensely would've been an even more confused individual without it.

Biology is useless for chem eng :u:

oh thanks haha.. so you mean nothing you had studied in biology is applicable to chemeng? what are the best subjects for chemeng?where you disadvantaged applying with those subjects only?
Reply 51
Original post by danr2
oh thanks haha.. so you mean nothing you had studied in biology is applicable to chemeng? what are the best subjects for chemeng?where you disadvantaged applying with those subjects only?

The exam board that I studied biology for was WJEC and they had a weird obsession with plants so I guess not although the environmental part of the course will become applicable at some point i assume but it's not something worth taking the whole a-level for since it's kinda common sense

When I applied I already had grades, but even then I wouldn't say your disadvantaged if you did apply with the subjects I had. However having said that the first few weeks of uni were an uphill struggle simple because they were building on things I hadn't studied yet. Most people were comfortable with concepts I hadn't heard of, so to catch up I had to put in quite a shift at the library. :u:

My recommendations for the course would be to take Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Try take them all to A-level and try do maths in a year. A tough ask I know but it would set you up excellently for chem eng.
Reply 52
Original post by elkurdy
no mate not manchester, already got an unconditional offer at Huddersfiled

Congratulations, get ready for the beginning of the end :colone:

Spoiler

Reply 53
Original post by Shadez
The exam board that I studied biology for was WJEC and they had a weird obsession with plants so I guess not although the environmental part of the course will become applicable at some point i assume but it's not something worth taking the whole a-level for since it's kinda common sense

When I applied I already had grades, but even then I wouldn't say your disadvantaged if you did apply with the subjects I had. However having said that the first few weeks of uni were an uphill struggle simple because they were building on things I hadn't studied yet. Most people were comfortable with concepts I hadn't heard of, so to catch up I had to put in quite a shift at the library. :u:

My recommendations for the course would be to take Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Try take them all to A-level and try do maths in a year. A tough ask I know but it would set you up excellently for chem eng.

thanks, that is exactly what i am planning to do but i don't think my college would let me take maths in a year.. can i take the other modules as a private candidate whiles in college? besides how would that help if i take maths in a year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by danr2
thanks, that is exactly what i am planning to bu i don' my college would let me take maths in a year.. can i take the other modules as a private candidate whiles in college? besides how would that help if i take maths in a year?

Yes, you could sit the exams as a private candidate. Ah I'm guessing your still a GCSE student. I'm not sure what the a-level reforms are. Can you still do exams at the end of the year or does it have to be at the end of the two years?
Reply 55
Original post by Shadez
Well I would presume so yes and the thing is with the meng course is that the masters is not recognized internationally as a masters. Although it is a good university I'm not disagreeing with you there

It is an Integrated Masters. And it is accredited by IChemE as fully meeting the educational requirement for CEng status.

But it's true to say it's not the same as a postgrad MSc as defined by the Bologna Process. However I doubt that many employers, even internationally, would be concerned (except maybe for academics). The same issue applies to all integrated masters anywhere in England & Wales, not just Manchester. And not just Engineering. MMath, MSci, etc all have this "issue". Fundamentally the Bologna Process expects 3+2 years of academic learning for Bachelors + Masters.
Reply 56
Original post by Shadez
Yes, you could sit the exams as a private candidate. Ah I'm guessing your still a GCSE student. I'm not sure what the a-level reforms are. Can you still do exams at the end of the year or does it have to be at the end of the two years?

i am self studying igcses at home so don't really know about it but i think i can, yea. where would you like to work after completing your degree?
Reply 57
Original post by jneill
It is an Integrated Masters. And it is accredited by IChemE as fully meeting the educational requirement for CEng status.

But it's true to say it's not the same as a postgrad MSc as defined by the Bologna Process. However I doubt that many employers, even internationally, would be concerned (except maybe for academics). The same issue applies to all integrated masters anywhere in England & Wales, not just Manchester. And not just Engineering. MMath, MSci, etc all have this "issue". Fundamentally the Bologna Process expects 3+2 years of academic learning for Bachelors + Masters.

Ah ok thank you for explaining :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by danr2
i am self studying igcses at home so don't really know about it but i think i can, yea. where would you like to work after completing your degree?

Idk man somewhere warm i guess :tongue:

A lot of my friends did a-level maths in a year, the ones that didn't get A*'s first time around only had to take on or two modules the following year to boost it up to an A*. So in a way it takes the pressure off you the following year knowing that you have an A* in the bag or that you only need to need to take one or two modules to get one. Also I think its achievable if you enjoy maths and it would help immensly with the further maths A2 modules if you have already mastered C3/4 rather than studying the A2 FM modules alongside C3/4.

However these are just my opinions talk to your tutors or academic advisers to see whats best for you :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Shadez
Idk man somewhere warm i guess :tongue:

A lot of my friends did a-level maths in a year, the ones that didn't get A*'s first time around only had to take on or two modules the following year to boost it up to an A*. So in a way it takes the pressure off you the following year knowing that you have an A* in the bag or that you only need to need to take one or two modules to get one. Also I think its achievable if you enjoy maths and it would help immensly with the further maths A2 modules if you have already mastered C3/4 rather than studying the A2 FM modules alongside C3/4.

However these are just my opinions talk to your tutors or academic advisers to see whats best for you :smile:

ok thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest