The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi

I'm going to be doing Graduate Entry Medicine in September this year.

Please could you clarify what funding is available to me?
If you could be clear and explain it in layman terms that would be helpful, as I am confused by the NHS website - is the NHS bursary the same as government paying some of the fees?)!

I still have my original student loan to pay off, from the Study Loan Company for my first degree.

Many thanks
Original post by Random.guy
Hi,
Is there any help available then to people in my situation? 9k is a lot of money that I don't have..are there any government or nhs grants which can pay for my tuition fees if the SLC only covers the maintenance part of it?

Many thanks.

Hi Random.guy,

I noticed that Gerard replied to you in a webchat yesterday:

"This depends on what your previous course was and what degree you attained. If you can reply with this information I can go into more detail."

If you can post this information here, I'll see if I can answer your question. Alternatively, we have a Funding for NHS courses webchat on Thursday 3-4pm. They might be able to give you some information on any NHS grants you can get.
Original post by Sarah SFE
snip

I am currently entitled to a loan which covers the full length of the degree I want to do. 4 year course - 1 year of previous study (Open University CertHE) + 1 gift year = 4 years.

If I do 60 ECTS worth of online modules with a foreign university but do not receive a qualification, will I lose a year of my loan entitlement?
Hi Random.guy,

I noticed that Gerard replied to you in a webchat yesterday:

"This depends on what your previous course was and what degree you attained. If you can reply with this information I can go into more detail."

If you can post this information here, I'll see if I can answer your question. Alternatively, we have a Funding for NHS courses webchat on Thursday 3-4pm. They might be able to give you some information on any NHS grants you can get.

Hi,

I tried to respond to him but the chat was closed by then. I did a BSc. (Hons) Pharmacology with industrial experience course and achieved a 2.1 grade.

Original post by Clare SFE
Hi Ash From 1 August 2016 new EU students will no longer be eligible for a Maintenance Loan unless they have lived in the UK fora minimum of 5 years.

EU students who have lived in the EEA and Switzerland for 3 years can apply for Tuition Fee Loan only.

If you have any further questions about this you should join our live EU webchat on Friday 11-12pm

NASMA are also running a webchat on EU funding on Thursday 3-4pm and they may be able to advise you about other sources of funding.

Hope this helps!

You kidding me? I`ve been waiting for 2 years to start my studies absolutely sure it`s 3 years, and now, when I am almost there it`s suddenly 5?!
Original post by Ahsokato
Hi

I'm going to be doing Graduate Entry Medicine in September this year.

Please could you clarify what funding is available to me?
If you could be clear and explain it in layman terms that would be helpful, as I am confused by the NHS website - is the NHS bursary the same as government paying some of the fees?)!

I still have my original student loan to pay off, from the Study Loan Company for my first degree.

Many thanks

Hi Ahsokato,

Your question was answered in the NHS, Social Work and Medicine Funding webchat earlier today but if there's anything else you want to know please ask.
Original post by Snufkin
I am currently entitled to a loan which covers the full length of the degree I want to do. 4 year course - 1 year of previous study (Open University CertHE) + 1 gift year = 4 years.

If I do 60 ECTS worth of online modules with a foreign university but do not receive a qualification, will I lose a year of my loan entitlement?

Hi, Snufkin,

Thanks for your question.

If the online module is classed as a part-time course and you do not gain a qualification then it would not be classed as previous study when calculating what you are entitled to for full-time funding. However, if this is classed as online modules for a full-time course then we would class it as previous study when calculating your entitlement to funding.

If the study is self funded at a private foreign university rather than a publicly funded university and no qualification is gained it will not be counted as previous study when calculating a student’s entitlement for funding.

I hope this helps but if you are still unsure please contact our customer services department on 0300 100 0607.
Original post by Random.guy
Hi,

I tried to respond to him but the chat was closed by then. I did a BSc. (Hons) Pharmacology with industrial experience course and achieved a 2.1 grade.

Students with a previous qualification are unable to receive support for a new course of an Equivalent or Lower Qualification, i.e. a student, who has gained a HND, is unable to qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan/Maintenance Loan to study another HND. They would still be entitled toreceive supplementary grants and the Disabled Students' Allowance, ifapplicable.
Students are automatically deemed as having an Equivalent or Lower Qualification if they already hold an Honours Degree from an institution in the UK.
Qualifications are levelled as follows:

e) Masters
MBAs
PGCEs

d) Honours Degree
LLB
Integrated Masters
Medicine, dentistry and veterinary courses
Scottish MAs
Oxford and Cambridge MAs

c) Ordinary degree

b) HNDs
Dip He
Foundation Degree

a) HNCs
Cert HE

There is also further guidance onexception courses which may mean you could receive funding.

Course Specific

New full-time students who already hold an equivalent or higher-level qualification will be eligible for Maintenance Loan support if their new course leads to a qualification as a:

- medical doctor
- dentist
- Veterinary surgeon
- architect
- social worker
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, Snufkin,

Thanks for your question.

If the online module is classed as a part-time course and you do not gain a qualification then it would not be classed as previous study when calculating what you are entitled to for full-time funding. However, if this is classed as online modules for a full-time course then we would class it as previous study when calculating your entitlement to funding.

Thanks for getting back to me.

The course I mentioned would I think be part-time because I would be doing it over 2 academic years instead of the usual 1, but how could I prove it? Would I need a letter from the university saying it was part-time?

Alternatively, if I self-funded another Open University module but did not register for or receive a qualification, would that also not be classed as previous study when calculating what I'm entitled to for full-time funding?
Hi,

I'm 22 and have accepted an unconditional offer to study paramedic science at UWE in Sept'16. I currently live at home but will be moving into my own house in the next couple of months, would it be best to apply for finding after I have moved out? I have been in full time employment for the last 3 years anyway.

I have questions also relating to previous study-- I had been working towards an honours degree with The Open University since 2011-12 on a part-time basis. I have not achieved a qualification yet for this study. How does this affect my financial application?

Thank you for your time
Original post by Snufkin

Hi Snufkin,

You should contact your university to check whether your course is part-time or full-time.

But, you’re right, if you self fund an Open University module and don’t receive a qualification, that would not be classed as previous study.
Original post by amy0101c
Hi,

I'm 22 and have accepted an unconditional offer to study paramedic science at UWE in Sept'16. I currently live at home but will be moving into my own house in the next couple of months, would it be best to apply for finding after I have moved out? I have been in full time employment for the last 3 years anyway.

I have questions also relating to previous study-- I had been working towards an honours degree with The Open University since 2011-12 on a part-time basis. I have not achieved a qualification yet for this study. How does this affect my financial application?

Thank you for your time

Hi Amy,

Firstly, you should check that your paramedic science course is funded by Student Finance England, as it might be funded by the NHS.

If you are applying to SFE and have been supporting yourself for at least three years before the start of your course you might be classed as an independent student. You would need to provide proof of your income, such as a P60 or wage slips, for three years (this doesn’t have to be consecutive).

You don’t mention if you’re getting student finance for your OU course. Unfortunately, you can’t claim student finance for both courses at the same time. But as long as you don’t get a qualification for your part-time course and haven’t received funding from us already, you’ll be able to apply for student finance for your new course.

Finally, we advise all students to apply as soon as the application opens to make sure they get their money in time for the start of their course.
Hi Snufkin,

You should contact your university to check whether your course is part-time or full-time.

But, you’re right, if you self fund an Open University module and don’t receive a qualification, that would not be classed as previous study.

Hi - I have asked them and they said it is "technically a full-time course, but you can study it on a part-time basis" - not sure what that actually means. If I studied 60 ECTS over two years would SFE consider that part-time regardless of what the foreign university says?
Hi Amy,

Firstly, you should check that your paramedic science course is funded by Student Finance England, as it might be funded by the NHS.

If you are applying to SFE and have been supporting yourself for at least three years before the start of your course you might be classed as an independent student. You would need to provide proof of your income, such as a P60 or wage slips, for three years (this doesn’t have to be consecutive).

You don’t mention if you’re getting student finance for your OU course. Unfortunately, you can’t claim student finance for both courses at the same time. But as long as you don’t get a qualification for your part-time course and haven’t received funding from us already, you’ll be able to apply for student finance for your new course.

Finally, we advise all students to apply as soon as the application opens to make sure they get their money in time for the start of their course.

Thank you for your reply.

I qualified for my module fees to be paid through SFE but I've now stopped studying in order to concentrate on the paramedic interviews etc. I believe that the course at uwe isn't funded through the nhs although I will double check this. So, I should be able to receive funding through SFE for the paramedic degree??

Thanks for clarifying
Original post by Snufkin
Hi - I have asked them and they said it is "technically a full-time course, but you can study it on a part-time basis" - not sure what that actually means. If I studied 60 ECTS over two years would SFE consider that part-time regardless of what the foreign university says?

Hi Snufkin,

If the full-time course is studied over one year but you’re studying it as a part-time course over two years we would class it as a part-time course. You need to speak to your university to confirm.

If you have any more questions you can Ask SFE during our normal student finance surgeries in the student finance zone.
Original post by amy0101c
Thank you for your reply.

I qualified for my module fees to be paid through SFE but I've now stopped studying in order to concentrate on the paramedic interviews etc. I believe that the course at uwe isn't funded through the nhs although I will double check this. So, I should be able to receive funding through SFE for the paramedic degree??

Thanks for clarifying

Hi Amy,

We can only offer funding for one course per academic year. So if you received funding for 2015/16 (or earlier) for your OU course and your new course is eligible then you can apply for student finance from us.
That's it for this year. Thanks for all your questions.

Remember, you can find lots of information on Student Finance England's dedicated student finance zone.

Latest

Trending

Trending