The Student Room Group
Hello
I am currently studying for my IGCSE's. I am very good in ICT,P.E,English,Spanish and I'm also studying Mandarin.
What courses would you suggest I should look for at Uni and for A-levels?
I have absolutely no idea what career i should pick. I'm a AS student and i do Biology,Use of Maths,Economics and Computer Science.
Reply 3
I apologise in advance for writing such a long boring post. I'll start by giving a bit of an academic background of myself. Back in school I achieved 10 GCSE's, 4 A's, 4B's and 2 C's. A's and B's were in the core subjects. I'm ashamed to say that I never really worked hard in school or took my studies seriously. Reflecting back I feel as though if I worked hard I know I could have done a lot better.

I then went onto study A-levels at college. It just seemed the normal thing to do as most people I knew from school were doing the same. I wasn't really aware of any other choices such as apprenticeships or anything else back then. The subjects I chose at A-level were Economics, Chemistry and Biology.
I can't even really justify why I picked those subjects. But anyway at the end of A2 my grades were disappointing. I achieved B, C D. I simply just didn't put the required effort or worked hard enough. For the same 3 subjects at AS my grades were A B B.

I wasn't accepted to study pharmacy at my chosen university, so I decided to take a year out and re-take my A-levels. I self studied and managed to bump up my chemistry grade from a D to a B after taking the exams externally. I was accepted to university for pharmacy eventually, but I dropped out after a year. I hated the course, again just as with my chosen A-level subjects, my decision to study pharmacy was influenced by friends who were going to study pharmacy.

After dropping out of uni, I was pretty lost in my life and depressed for a while. I spent a lot of time being a "NEET". I just wasted a lot of time.
I found it very difficult to find any job at first with just some GCSE's and A-levels and a lot of gaps on my C.V. I worked voluntarily at a few places to build some experience and obtain a few references.

Fast forward, I am now 22 and for the last year and a half I've worked in customer service/data entry and admin roles. Mostly been temping through agencies. I got comfortable in a job which I did for the last 10 months or so, working as a temp with no security and crap pay. To be honest if I was offered this job when I was 16 I wouldn't even take it so I'm not sure why I was doing it. Seems like I just accepted whatever and felt sorry for myself.

I have just been laid off and I'm currently unemployed for a week and I've begun to wonder where all the years have gone and I feel as though I've achieved nothing and let myself down. I just feel as though the last 6 years since I've left school have gone so quick and I've not really done anything of true value. Besides the GCSE's and A-levels, I've got a year and half's temping on my C.V.

I want to change my life around, I just feel lost and I'm not sure what to do. The only jobs I feel I have a chance to get are entry level admin/data entry or customer service jobs. None of which I find rewarding or feel as though it's something I could do as a career. I'm really lacking direction and just want some advice really. I've began looking at routes into accounting, and I find the AAT route interesting. I'm not sure if an apprenticeship studying AAT is a viable option for me, or even self-studying for the AAT qualification. I feel as though a qualification like this could help me break into a junior role in accounting. At this moment in time I have no practical experience in any sort of financial role.

If you were in my position what would you do? What are my best options here?

I appreciate any advice.
hey im considering doing a combined honours degree and the places and ideally im hoping to be able to study english lit and computer science, and hopefully mathematics at some point (depending on whether theyll let me do 3 in first year), as a combination, at degree level (ie the degree offered at exeter university)

ive realised my enjoyment and academic aptitude is a pretty direct split between the numerical and creative/literary - ive always been a bit of a jack of all trades. and it seems like an odd combo but i know separately they are all well respected so i figured why not together!

im just wondering - i know many careers dont actually require specific subjects so lets ignore those like nonspecific office jobs - is there anything that that combination of subjects is actually really good for? the skillset itd give me?

i think itll be interesting to know since i have no idea what job i want, but maybe if people know what job i could have from the subjects i like, maybe i might like the job too?

hope this makes sense
Reply 5
Hello guys,

I am a final year politics student on course to get a 2:1 and I have been extremely motivated about forging myself a career after I graduate.

I am part of two societies, bilingual (Somali being my other language), articulate, good with people, do not get nervous in public settings and work great in a team. However, I have had no luck with applications at all with a 100% rejection rate, I have never even had an interview for a paid job before and I am wondering what it is I am doing wrong.

I know my lack of experience is going to affect me in my search for a job and I am doing my best to get experience, including volunteering with the Citizens Advice Bureau and the British Heart Foundation.

Any advice on how I can make myself stand out and make sure I can create the career I so desperately want?
At the moment, I'm beginning to look into which a-levels I'd like to take, I know it may seem too soon to be thinking about an actual career but I am still not sure what I want to do. I love English and its may best subject in school, however, as I am very shy and considerably reserved, so I don't think I'm the right person to be an English teacher. I've considered journalism, but I'm not a massive fan on the actual style of writing nor the intense competition. However. I'm interested in the media - how it works, what people engage with etc and enjoy being online and reading websites such as the huffington post and buzzfeed. In school, my best subjects are English, Religious studies and art. If you have any suggestions or advice please let me know. Also, if you have any recommendations on what A-levels I should take that'd be so helpful :smile:
My friend is doing AAT accounting level 4 after completing the level 3. She's paying for it with a 24 plus loan and working in industry already since obtaining the level 3. If accounting is what you want to do, you certainly have nothing to lose by pursuing such course.

Original post by conciliar
I apologise in advance for writing such a long boring post. I'll start by giving a bit of an academic background of myself. Back in school I achieved 10 GCSE's, 4 A's, 4B's and 2 C's. A's and B's were in the core subjects. I'm ashamed to say that I never really worked hard in school or took my studies seriously. Reflecting back I feel as though if I worked hard I know I could have done a lot better.

I then went onto study A-levels at college. It just seemed the normal thing to do as most people I knew from school were doing the same. I wasn't really aware of any other choices such as apprenticeships or anything else back then. The subjects I chose at A-level were Economics, Chemistry and Biology.
I can't even really justify why I picked those subjects. But anyway at the end of A2 my grades were disappointing. I achieved B, C D. I simply just didn't put the required effort or worked hard enough. For the same 3 subjects at AS my grades were A B B.

I wasn't accepted to study pharmacy at my chosen university, so I decided to take a year out and re-take my A-levels. I self studied and managed to bump up my chemistry grade from a D to a B after taking the exams externally. I was accepted to university for pharmacy eventually, but I dropped out after a year. I hated the course, again just as with my chosen A-level subjects, my decision to study pharmacy was influenced by friends who were going to study pharmacy.

After dropping out of uni, I was pretty lost in my life and depressed for a while. I spent a lot of time being a "NEET". I just wasted a lot of time.
I found it very difficult to find any job at first with just some GCSE's and A-levels and a lot of gaps on my C.V. I worked voluntarily at a few places to build some experience and obtain a few references.

Fast forward, I am now 22 and for the last year and a half I've worked in customer service/data entry and admin roles. Mostly been temping through agencies. I got comfortable in a job which I did for the last 10 months or so, working as a temp with no security and crap pay. To be honest if I was offered this job when I was 16 I wouldn't even take it so I'm not sure why I was doing it. Seems like I just accepted whatever and felt sorry for myself.

I have just been laid off and I'm currently unemployed for a week and I've begun to wonder where all the years have gone and I feel as though I've achieved nothing and let myself down. I just feel as though the last 6 years since I've left school have gone so quick and I've not really done anything of true value. Besides the GCSE's and A-levels, I've got a year and half's temping on my C.V.

I want to change my life around, I just feel lost and I'm not sure what to do. The only jobs I feel I have a chance to get are entry level admin/data entry or customer service jobs. None of which I find rewarding or feel as though it's something I could do as a career. I'm really lacking direction and just want some advice really. I've began looking at routes into accounting, and I find the AAT route interesting. I'm not sure if an apprenticeship studying AAT is a viable option for me, or even self-studying for the AAT qualification. I feel as though a qualification like this could help me break into a junior role in accounting. At this moment in time I have no practical experience in any sort of financial role.

If you were in my position what would you do? What are my best options here?

I appreciate any advice.
Reply 8
hi, I'm in six form at the moment and my tutor is pressuring me to decide on my carer path. being a open-minded young lass, I have about just under 20 idea of career paths which I seriously need to narrow down... it's beginning to worry me know as the rest of my year have set ideas and the exact route they are wanting to take and I just have no idea which job career I should take and it's being to worry me as I've said before and being to stress me out loads about no knowing what to do..... absolutely any advice would be helpful.... cheers :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, at the moment i'm in my second year at sixth form college studying Psychology, Business Studies and Btec ICT. I'm having trouble deciding what to do after college. I have thought about doing an apprenticeship in business and then moving on to university to do a business type degree. Although, im not sure whether this is the right decision. Also, I know that I want to do purchasing in motorsports (particularly Formula 1), i'd just like some advice on how to get there. Thanksss
Original post by bluestar289
Hello
I am currently studying for my IGCSE's. I am very good in ICT,P.E,English,Spanish and I'm also studying Mandarin.
What courses would you suggest I should look for at Uni and for A-levels?

Hello,At this stage if I was in your position I would think what do I like doing the best? Right now your main concern should be focused on getting good grades, and if you enjoy what you do you'll want to do the work around the subject. From there you can choose the best route for you. The only exception to this is if you want to do computer engineering and than I would suggest doing ICT and Maths for your A-Levels. If you want to do all, I'd say look at work experience. Email local companies to see if they have placements. Hope that helps and good luck!Stefanie
Original post by Sameerio
I have absolutely no idea what career i should pick. I'm a AS student and i do Biology,Use of Maths,Economics and Computer Science.

What do you like doing the best? You are in a very lucky position that no matter which subject you choose for university you can specify more at a later stage with further study.

Also look into work placements. Your careers adviser should be able to suggest some places or email local businesses.

Just remember you can change whenever you want. Most universities are flexible nowadays when it comes to switching subjects, so if you feel that that subject is not what you thought it would be you can change.
Original post by EmergencyBagels
hey im considering doing a combined honours degree and the places and ideally im hoping to be able to study english lit and computer science, and hopefully mathematics at some point (depending on whether theyll let me do 3 in first year), as a combination, at degree level (ie the degree offered at exeter university)

ive realised my enjoyment and academic aptitude is a pretty direct split between the numerical and creative/literary - ive always been a bit of a jack of all trades. and it seems like an odd combo but i know separately they are all well respected so i figured why not together!

im just wondering - i know many careers dont actually require specific subjects so lets ignore those like nonspecific office jobs - is there anything that that combination of subjects is actually really good for? the skill set itd give me?

i think itll be interesting to know since i have no idea what job i want, but maybe if people know what job i could have from the subjects i like, maybe i might like the job too?

hope this makes sense

I feel you! I went through the same thing as my original degree was to be double honours in History of Art & Statistics.

Before you go too far, universities rarely (in fact I've not heard of any) that will allow you to do 3 subjects. It gets too complicated with your own work load and class scheduling. If however you do choose to do computer science, in 1st year it is normally standard to have a Maths refresher course to ensure all students are at the same level if it's necessary for the degree.

The combination you're going for would be great for anyone wanting to go into website design, search engine optimisation or marketing (it's ideal for digital marketing). That's only if you want to carry both on at a later date.

If you're not tot sure what to do after university, I strongly advice doing work placements. This allows you to figure out if a) you like the subject b) what working life in it is like & c) looks amazing on your CV for when you get a job later on. The more you do the better.

If you're worried about doing unpaid internships discuss it with the place you plan on working. Sometimes just doing 1 day a week whilst studying is enough (and cheekily if it's over a 6 month period you can say that you were there for that length of time which looks great on your CV).
Original post by Hamsey45
Hello guys,

I am a final year politics student on course to get a 2:1 and I have been extremely motivated about forging myself a career after I graduate.

I am part of two societies, bilingual (Somali being my other language), articulate, good with people, do not get nervous in public settings and work great in a team. However, I have had no luck with applications at all with a 100% rejection rate, I have never even had an interview for a paid job before and I am wondering what it is I am doing wrong.

I know my lack of experience is going to affect me in my search for a job and I am doing my best to get experience, including volunteering with the Citizens Advice Bureau and the British Heart Foundation.

Any advice on how I can make myself stand out and make sure I can create the career I so desperately want?

What have you done outside of school? It may be a case that you have to do some relevant internships or volunteer work within the for-profit section before companies consider you.

Also how good is your online appearance? Update your LinkedIn account and join in on relevant forums on LinkedIn to show that you know what you're talking about. This is the same with Twitter. Find chats and join in. Start up conversations with the companies you want to join on their social media, but not only through their corporate accounts but those who actual work there.

Another thing may be for you to revamp your CV. If you're getting to the interview stage and not getting offered the job, ask someone you trust and look up to to do practice interviews and have them tell you where you need to improve.

Good luck in your hunt - Stefanie
Original post by Mollypowell
At the moment, I'm beginning to look into which a-levels I'd like to take, I know it may seem too soon to be thinking about an actual career but I am still not sure what I want to do. I love English and its may best subject in school, however, as I am very shy and considerably reserved, so I don't think I'm the right person to be an English teacher. I've considered journalism, but I'm not a massive fan on the actual style of writing nor the intense competition. However. I'm interested in the media - how it works, what people engage with etc and enjoy being online and reading websites such as the huffington post and buzzfeed. In school, my best subjects are English, Religious studies and art. If you have any suggestions or advice please let me know. Also, if you have any recommendations on what A-levels I should take that'd be so helpful :smile:

Have you thought about marketing or communications? Thanks to the internet more and more marketing is done online and not directly in person. You spend the majority of your time writing documents/briefs/blog posts/ articles for various online outlets such as Huffington post and Buzzfeed.

The art will also help with creating graphics and you can show off your creative side in several different ways.

Before you do choose it, look at doing a taster day somewhere. Most agencies are always looking for an extra hand but warn you it may be unpaid.

Hope that helps - Stefanie
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
My friend is doing AAT accounting level 4 after completing the level 3. She's paying for it with a 24 plus loan and working in industry already since obtaining the level 3. If accounting is what you want to do, you certainly have nothing to lose by pursuing such course.

I agree with beautiful big macs, conciliar, don't feel that you're too old or don't have any practical experience in finance. If you are looking to do an AAT, do it. There are several ways you can do it and you're not too old do to an apprenticeship - some even help pay for your qualifications. If you are worried, look at some of the free course that are available on accounting as a taster. MIT and Caltech in America sometimes do free online course in this area. But if you do want a career in it, do the AAT.

My first job out of university was in customer service, and luckily as the company expanded I was able to help out in other areas so got to learn what I wanted to do more whilst on the job. But if you can, reach out to business and offer your time.

Best of luck -Stefanie
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Saraht31
hi, I'm in six form at the moment and my tutor is pressuring me to decide on my carer path. being a open-minded young lass, I have about just under 20 idea of career paths which I seriously need to narrow down... it's beginning to worry me know as the rest of my year have set ideas and the exact route they are wanting to take and I just have no idea which job career I should take and it's being to worry me as I've said before and being to stress me out loads about no knowing what to do..... absolutely any advice would be helpful.... cheers :smile:

Why does your tutor want you to choose one career path? You're 17, you've got the rest of your life to figure it out (about 50 of which you will be working). And so what if your friends know what they want to do. They are either blagging it or are extremely self-assured. Keep beating your own drum, it makes life more exciting.

The only exception is if you want to go into academia or engineering. You do need to choose now as you have to do certain subjects to get into the field.

Look at the subject before the career. As I said you've got to love enjoy it, especially if you plan on doing it for the next 5 decades. Also look into doing work experience days or talking to those in the career you think you might like. LinkedIn is a great place for networking and it's really easy to just drop someone a quick message on it.

Keep being open minded, it's one of the best things you can be!

-Stefanie
Original post by asia-
Hi, at the moment i'm in my second year at sixth form college studying Psychology, Business Studies and Btec ICT. I'm having trouble deciding what to do after college. I have thought about doing an apprenticeship in business and then moving on to university to do a business type degree. Although, im not sure whether this is the right decision. Also, I know that I want to do purchasing in motorsports (particularly Formula 1), i'd just like some advice on how to get there. Thanksss

Apprenticeships are great to learn whilst on the job. If your looking to find out more about them the #YourLife campaign is great for information. Those running it will even be in a better position than I am to say how to get into the motorsports industry as those I know within the industry did motorsport engineering as a degree, a different kettle of fish to what you want to do.

However it may be worthwhile for you to look at motorsport engineering apprenticeships as it could open more doors within the industry (and from what I can gauge car companies prefer those who know the nitty gritty of the product within their purchasing departments).

Look into Jeep, Bentley and other manufacturers for internships to help get your foot in the door. Some of the major companies also out-source manufacturing of certain parts such as taught measures. As these companies don't have the same commercial name, it may be easier to get a placement. These companies may not have the commercial name but if they are trusted suppliers they'll have the respect of the industry - think them as stepping stones into the industry.

-Stefanie
Thanks Stefanie, some great advice! Stephen from Science and Technology Facilities Council will be here tomorrow at 2pm answering your questions on extra-curricular opportunities at university.
See you then!

Latest

Trending

Trending