The Student Room Group

the push-pull technique

gah i cant do it! when i drive i don't concentrate on the steering like that and just steer without thinking of the method. Getting my head around doing it also is getting to me
any tips or advice?
i know how to do it, and I practice but then when i actually get into the process of turning corners and driving , there is too much else for me to focus on that particular thing! i know that(in the very very far away future) in my test i will fail if i can't nip the steering in the bud
help :biggrin:
Reply 1
aaaaaaaaaa i got a driving lesson now at 10 btw am terrible!:biggrin:ha you could mess about with the clutch a bit to see what makes it easiest, i dunno its kinda hard to give advice because i'm crap. you could try searching google for a tutorial on how to ush push and pull if your lucky there might even be videos showing you how to do it?:biggrin: let me know how you get on...
Reply 2
my driving instructor says just take your foot of the gas and concentrate on the steering it really did make it so much easier to do the push pull steering.
Reply 3
oooo okaay thankyouuu :biggrin: thing is thouh with the clutch and gas balance around corners I can't get the balance right, i easeee off the clutch and then have to just as i take the foot of the clutch ease on the accerlation but its hard to get the balance because i judder:P
Reply 4
yes, just concentrate on steering without the method, but still use the push-pull technique. if your thinking too much about the method then it will be slow and unnatural.

just watch where your going and instinctively use the push-pull technique.
Reply 5
My instructor drilled this into my head, a month after I passed I've hardly used. Crossed armed steering ftw!
I tend to use push-pull when carrying passengers, it forces more comfort in my experience.
After 20 lessons, only now have I been told about the push pull technique haha. Before, I just fed the wheel, but now it's so much easier with the PPT.
Reply 8
Ask your instructor to take you in a large/empty car park to practice. I didn't have a clue what my instructor was on about until he did this. He got me to just drive around in big circles, going quite slowly and then once i'd got the hang of it, in smaller circles so to practice the sharper angles. Once you've figured the steering technqiue out, it'll start to come naturally when you're driving and you can begin to concentrate on the clutch/accelerator a bit more! :smile:

Ooh and if it helps, what i was told to do was to keep my normal driving position at 10 and 2 (imagine a clock face) and to turn left, he would tell me to 'pull' my left hand (and the wheel!) down to 6, whilst sliding my right hand down to meet it (with hardly any grip on the steering wheel), and then 'push' my right hand (and the wheel) up to 12, whilst my left hand would slide up the steering wheel to meet it at the top. It's just like one continuous movement really. Obv you do the opposite for turning right! :biggrin:

Edit: just realised you said you knew how to do it, doh! i should read a bit more carefully first!
Reply 9
AWESOME THANKS Pop :biggrin: that really helped ^_^ thanks everyone else toooo!
To help you to have less to think about when cornering, try and get everything else (road position, speed for the entire corner and gear) correct well before the turn so your foot is well clear of the clutch and all you think about are the accelerator and steering. Use the gas to hold the speed steady, rather than speeding up.
I (and see the AD thread for more info) use the "Pull-push" system, slight difference, you put your hand to 12 o'clock first and pull down to start with.
Practice is really the only way to get better, as with most of driving, you need to get to the point where you don't think about driving and can concenrate on smoothly turning the wheel.
The two other ways of steering aren't really as smooth in most conditions, and if you want total smoothness, put your thumbs outside the wheel, rather than inside it.
HtH

Latest

Trending

Trending