The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

How do you know when you have found the right university? (Chester or LJMU)

I attended Edinburgh Napier university a year ago and at the time of deciding which university there was a clear favourite and I was so excited for university but a year on I'm no longer at that university and am wanting to go back in education but can't decide between two really good universities.

I am going to be studying animal behaviour at either University of Chester or Liverpool John Moores University in September and I thought I had a preference but now I'm not so sure:

Chester was an amazing campus, it really gave me university vibes and I could imagine myself going there but its like a full days travel by train and I don't want to be too far from home. The course sounded so good and like I'd really studying there but with my 3 trains home to catch when I went for the open day I never got to see Chester so have no idea what life when not studying would be like and also first year of my course would be taught at a college instead of university and I don't know how to feel about that. I think if I attended Chester I'd have to take a car with me which I have no idea how I'd afford whilst at university and accommodation here would be dearer. Chester seems a quieter pace which I might appreciate after the fast pace of my previous course and being in a capital city.

Liverpool is easy to get to and close to home, again the course sounded really good and there's an option for studying abroad for a year which I would love to do. But I didn't really get the university vibes when I was there for an open day but I'm not sure if that's just because I was attending alone and because I think the library and other possible facilities are at different campuses around the city. Accommodation at Liverpool would be a lot cheaper than Chester and I already know from previous visits that Liverpool has a lot to offer outside of class.

Any past, current or future students got any advice? I'm so worried about choosing the wrong university and never being able to go home again!!
Thank You
null
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Hi there, sorry about the above, it wasn't meant to post. I am currently doing Animal behaviour and Welfare at UoC and I was also considering Animal Behaviour at LJMU before I chose to come to UoC. I a just going to clarify a couple of things and then you can continue to ask me any questions that you may have after that. Animal Behaviour at UoC is fully based at Chester. Animal Behaviour and Welfare is the course where first year is based at Reaseheath College and then the other two fully in Chester. Reaseheath College is a beautiful campus and the zoo that you get to work on is absolutely amazing and gives students the basics needed that can then be applied anywhere as due to my skills learnt at Reaseheath zoo I was able to get a work placement at another one last summer. Also the higher education team at Reaseheath are very welcoming and approachable for any incidents or matters that may arise that need dealing with and the teaching standard is very good. In Nantwich (where Reaseheath is based) there isn't huge amounts to do outside of the campus but they offer quite a bit on campus. However when you then move to Chester this is more than made up for and ther is a wide range of activities and things to get into. I am a second year currently, and I chose UoC over LJMU purely based on the fact that Chester is all on one campus and so is Reaseheath as I prefer having everything in one place than spread across the city. I hope this helped in some way and I am more than happy to answer any other questions that you may have . :smile:
Hello!
I am a second year Animal Behaviour student here at Chester.
Choosing a university is daunting, confusing and scary isn't it? In the end though, only you can decide, as it is going to take (a worthwhile) 3 years of your life!
I chose Chester because it is a lovely city - although some find it too small - and a safe city to live in. It also has good transport links home.The University is small enough to be intimate and friendly, but large enough to have fantastic world-class Lecturers as well. There is a good social life here and many clubs and societies to get involved in (for you to have ample opportunity to get involved and meet new friends!). Liverpool is close enough for a night out or shopping too! It is also fantastic to have Chester zoo right on your doorstep and you get the chance to work with the captive animal collection in Reaseheath College in the first year. However, accommodation is more expensive here (and in shorter supply) than Liverpool and it is further away from your family.
Think about what is important to you and write down a list of pros and cons. Can you really afford to rum a car? (Sadly - I couldn't). You may feel that staying closer to your family is more important (You will need emotional support - especially in the first year). Or is the actual course content the most important? What means the most to you at the end of the day?
I can highly recommend Chester. I looked at John Moore's and Bristol, but in the end decided on Chester, because it had the modules that I was most interested in.
Please try not to worry. Your final decision is never wrong if you listen to your heart as well as your brain... and remember if you really do make the wrong decision, there is a chance that you could relocate to another university for your second year. You will be just fine. Good luck! Best wishes, Gilly
Hello,
I'm in Chester studying animal behaviour (first year).
The course itself is amazing (a lot of science involved). The modules are mostly good and the lecturers are amazing! It covers pretty much everything about animals... Biology, behaviour, welfare, evolution and genetics and research!
The campus is lovely, just the right size and Chester itself is small but beautiful! But there's lots to do.
But at the end of the day only you know which is best for you. No one can tell you.
I had the exact same problem you did, a choice between a uni close or far away from home. I went for further from home and I haven't regretted it :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for that, I didn't get to talk to any animal behaviour students when I visited Chester uni so this is very helpful information. I'm glad you are enjoying the course, the variety in modules is definitely what first attracted me to animal behaviour and I can't wait to get learning about it all. Its just this deciding where to do the learning bit haha because everywhere is great! What is the first year of the course like, I'm not sure I'd enjoy it being at a college instead of the university?

I don't want to be far from home as I have a baby niece so being able to go home most weekends is very important to me. Chester is a bit too far out to be doing that as often as I hope too but we shall see what happens. :smile:
Are you wanting to study just animal behaviour or animal behaviour AND welfare? It's only of you're doing the welfare bit you'll be at the college for the first year... If you're doing animal behaviour you'll be at Chester for the full 3 years!
Yeah I have a niece too but I'm from Yorkshire so I can't go go home as often as I may like... But I get over it since the uni is so good and I've made great friends so... :smile:
Reply 7
What are the chances.....also from Yorkshire! :smile:

If I do decide on Chester then I'd be studying animal behaviour and welfare whereas if I choose LJMU then its just animal behaviour. Will definitely be spending my weekend weighing up the pros and cons of the universities!
Reply 8
Original post by mcflymad421
Hi there, sorry about the above, it wasn't meant to post. I am currently doing Animal behaviour and Welfare at UoC and I was also considering Animal Behaviour at LJMU before I chose to come to UoC. I a just going to clarify a couple of things and then you can continue to ask me any questions that you may have after that. Animal Behaviour at UoC is fully based at Chester. Animal Behaviour and Welfare is the course where first year is based at Reaseheath College and then the other two fully in Chester. Reaseheath College is a beautiful campus and the zoo that you get to work on is absolutely amazing and gives students the basics needed that can then be applied anywhere as due to my skills learnt at Reaseheath zoo I was able to get a work placement at another one last summer. Also the higher education team at Reaseheath are very welcoming and approachable for any incidents or matters that may arise that need dealing with and the teaching standard is very good. In Nantwich (where Reaseheath is based) there isn't huge amounts to do outside of the campus but they offer quite a bit on campus. However when you then move to Chester this is more than made up for and ther is a wide range of activities and things to get into. I am a second year currently, and I chose UoC over LJMU purely based on the fact that Chester is all on one campus and so is Reaseheath as I prefer having everything in one place than spread across the city. I hope this helped in some way and I am more than happy to answer any other questions that you may have . :smile:

Thank you for all the useful information I will take note of it all in my pros and cons list haha, I would be studying animal behaviour and welfare if I chose Chester and then it would be just animal behaviour at Liverpool. I'm worried it would feel like I've taken a step back by sort of being back at college if I chose Chester and I couldn't really afford a car so it would take a day almost to get home so that's the main thing that really puts me off as I'm definitely family orientated but then I know my family would totally understand me putting my education first.

Yeah Liverpool being spread out is a downside but then at the same time having to travel to the library ensures I'd make the most of my time and not just mess around! Plus with Liverpool being so big I'm concerned about them not caring for their students as individuals whereas with Chester being smaller I think one on one would be easier to have if necessary
Reply 9
Original post by Gillybean4
Hello!
I am a second year Animal Behaviour student here at Chester.
Choosing a university is daunting, confusing and scary isn't it? In the end though, only you can decide, as it is going to take (a worthwhile) 3 years of your life!
I chose Chester because it is a lovely city - although some find it too small - and a safe city to live in. It also has good transport links home.The University is small enough to be intimate and friendly, but large enough to have fantastic world-class Lecturers as well. There is a good social life here and many clubs and societies to get involved in (for you to have ample opportunity to get involved and meet new friends!). Liverpool is close enough for a night out or shopping too! It is also fantastic to have Chester zoo right on your doorstep and you get the chance to work with the captive animal collection in Reaseheath College in the first year. However, accommodation is more expensive here (and in shorter supply) than Liverpool and it is further away from your family.
Think about what is important to you and write down a list of pros and cons. Can you really afford to rum a car? (Sadly - I couldn't). You may feel that staying closer to your family is more important (You will need emotional support - especially in the first year). Or is the actual course content the most important? What means the most to you at the end of the day?
I can highly recommend Chester. I looked at John Moore's and Bristol, but in the end decided on Chester, because it had the modules that I was most interested in.
Please try not to worry. Your final decision is never wrong if you listen to your heart as well as your brain... and remember if you really do make the wrong decision, there is a chance that you could relocate to another university for your second year. You will be just fine. Good luck! Best wishes, Gilly

Hello, yes its definitely all those things which is why I keep going over and over my reasons for both to try and find something to sway me towards one more than the other! My weekend is definitely going to be filled with weighing up pros and cons for each haha!

I know my chances of being able to afford a car at uni are slim and I don't know how I'd feel going to Chester and not being able to go home as often as I'd like but I'm sure if Chester had the better course content then it would be worth it.

Thanks so much for your help :smile:
I believe Chester is recognized as one of THE best Animal Behavior courses in the UK, so you'd be in good hands. If you're coming from Yorkshire, realistically there is no way you'd be able to commute-to start with Reeseheath where I believe the majority of the course is based isn't based in the city-I think you'd then have to take an additional bus-and then I believe you also do a placement. Whilst yes, being away from home is hard... It's something that is so very fulfilling and worth taking a chance on. I've messaged you if you need to talk through things a bit further
woooooooo... Go Yorkshire 💃🏻✌🏻️
I'm not sure exactly where in Yorkshire you're from so this may not apply to you. But from Chester it's two trains to get back and takes about 3-4 hours (that's to York) it may be different for you. I'm not sure where the college is so it'll obviously be different for your first year.
It seems scary but it will be worth it :smile:
If it's a bit far to travel you could consider going home every other weekend? And if you want the full experience you'll want to stay some weekends anyway because that's when we tend to do stuff.
But like I keep saying its your call :smile:
HI :smile: I was faced with the Chester VS LJMU decision last year so here is what I thought:
I chose Chester because the campus is much more self contained, the LJMU was quite spread out and I didn't like that.
As for animal behaviour being at a college (Reaseheath?) well the word 'college' may put you off but how about the fact that they have a mini zoo? :smile: Reaseheath is the best place to go for animal behaviour which is why Chester use it. It doesn't matter that its a college because you're still getting a University degree. As for the distance, is living in Chester not an option? I know you say it is more expensive than Liverpool but a friend told me that Liverpool is so expensive people have to live outside of the city centre and get a bus to university? Now don't take my word as fact, this is just word of mouth from someone who went to LJMU and commuted.
With the Chester accommodation, in the second year everyone lives in houses close to the University so it is really convinient. I think money is always a problem for students but I wouldn't let it be your decider because if you budget right then it is possible :smile: plus the University has alot of financial advice and a hardship fund for if you are really struggling.
I'm pretty bias as I love Chester, and I know people who have gone to LJMU and loved it because Liverpool is such an AMAZING city :biggrin: but Chester is amazing too for different reasons :smile:
Anyway I'm rambling, i hope this helps in some way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending