The Student Room Group

Peachy23's journey to AS Success!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
1/3/16

Even though I mentioned how I always made lots of plans for revision and but ended up not even completing half of what I intended, instead of making any improvements, I decided to spend my weekend doing absolutely nothing. I was just so tired after a week of mocks and lots of cramming (I know I should've started revising earlier!) so I just relaxed even though I should have been practicing for my speaking mock. The mock is on Thursday and I'm so unprepared :frown: and I'm very annoyed at myself. I'm still not going to give up though! I'll be writing up flashcards in my free tomorrow and I'm coming home early because I have no lessons in the afternoon so I'll probably be writing up flashcards. Then, after I've done that, I'll be going over those as many times as I can. I'll also try to remember some good phrases that I can use with subjunctive.

I had my general studies mock today and I didn't really revise because I didn't quite know what a general studies exam would actually be about. The exam went okay, not as bad as o expected, but the 18 mark question went very badly and I couldn't even write one full page because I just couldn't think of any arguments/opinions on the topic :/
Reply 21
6/3/16

It's been so long since I've posted! After my French speaking mock on Thursday, I just spent a good few days doing nothing/sleeping. The night before, I spent the whole day after school as well as my frees during school planning answers for possible questions.
image.jpg
This is what they looked like (a stack of flashcards for each sub-topic) I didn't have to do one for friends or marriage because my chosen topic was family so the other two were guaranteed to not come up. I felt like that was a good choice because I find it very difficult to talk about those two topics and much easier to talk about family (I also feel like it's easier to predict questions for family). It did take me ages though and I didn't even get around to making flashcards for TV or cinema but I thought it would be okay as those topics seem a bit easier (we haven't done fashion/music/internet yet so those weren't included in the mock but I'll be making flashcards for them once we've finished those topics). I ended up sleeping at around 12 and waking up at 5:30 to revise (which isn't exactly ideal but it's what I deserve for leaving everything last minute :frown:)
On the day of the speaking, even though it was a mock, I was extremely nervous and my hands were shaking so bad and I felt like I just didn't know anything. My time was at 9:40 and I felt like the stimulus card part of the speaking calmed me down a bit. I got to choose between healthy eating and TV and I chose healthy eating (which I was hoping I would get!) and I managed to write full answers for all the questions as well as writing down a few bullet points for my chosen topic questions.
I felt like once the actual speaking started and the unexpected questions started, I didn't really have to think about what I was saying too much and the words just came out. I felt like I went about making the flashcards the wrong way and I might remake them to include 2-3 bullet points for each possible question instead of proper sentences that I know I won't remember because that just made it harder for me to revise. I think the speaking mock went much better than I had expected but I'll only know for sure once I get my result. I'm really happy that it didn't go too bad because I was seriously worried about the speaking aspect of French and in year 11, when we had to choose our options, I was genuinely not going to choose French because of the speaking part of it despite loving the actual subject/language.
Reply 22
15/3/16

I feel so terrible that I haven't updated in so long (even though I doubt anyone reads these posts :tongue:) The truth is that I've been avoiding updating because lately I've had no motivation and haven't made much progress at all in terms of revision. I've been feeling very upset and quite indifferent about all my subjects and I don't feel like doing anything. I like using this blog as a diary of some sort so that I can keep track of what I'm doing and it helps me stay a bit more organised and I definitely find it motivating. So, the reason why I didn't want to update is because I didn't want to face the fact that I've been so unproductive over the past week.

I went to an Oxbridge student conference today and I loved it. I've always wanted to go to Cambridge but after today, I'm leaning more towards Oxford but I still don't know which one I'm going to apply for (there's still time for that anyway!) I quite liked the talk on Economics and Management at Oxford and would prefer to do that over just Economics at Cambridge but apparently it's one of the hardest courses to get into because so many people apply. I definitely need to start revising.

I've been feeling very demotivated because I'm not doing too well in maths at the moment. We're doing trigonometric functions and equations (trig identities, graphs etc.) and I've been finding it difficult to wrap my head around. What's worse is that everyone else seems to know what they're doing and I just don't feel like looking over it at home and working at it because I feel like I'll never understand it. I know that's ridiculous and I'm definitely going to start regularly practicing my maths (especially the topics I find difficult.)

I'm getting my mock results tomorrow but I've honestly gotten past the point of caring (I don't know why and it's stressing me out that I'm not stressing out!) I'll probably update tomorrow to say what I got for my mocks and what I plan to do to improve I them. I also might read a few A Level success stories/look at motivational quotes to get me motivated because that seems to work most of the time. Honestly, I think I'm just tired and just need a good sleep so that I can concentrate on my work better.
Reply 23
24/3/16

I know I said that I'd post last week but I was pretty disappointed with my mock results so I felt pretty demotivated and sulked for a bit and tried to figure out what I was going to do next. I felt a little hopeless when I got them and I know it seems a bit dramatic but I burst into tears whilst doing my stats homework later that night because I just couldn't understand it :/

I'm feeling much better now but I'm still stressing over the little amount of time I have left before the real exams and how I still don't have enough motivation to get started. Sometimes I think of how stressed I'll be if I leave everything until near the exams and end up cramming and it makes me want to revise.
We've got holidays now and I'm planning to start my revision on Friday/Saturday, starting with chemistry because it's my weakest subject. I'm also planning on eating healthier because I find that it clears my mind and makes it easier for me to concentrate and I'll be drinking more water and exercising. I know it's a bit weird, but I find just being healthy in general helps me to stay motivated.

So, these are my mock results:
Chemistry - C (not too bad considering it's my worst subject but not fantastic either as I'm aiming for an A so I seriously need to do lots of work!)
Economics - C (pretty disappointed because I usually get A's and it's what I want to do in the future so I really need to do some practice papers as I didn't really revise for this one)
Maths - D (really upset with this one as I thought the mocks went very well and was hoping for an A) I got a B in statistics and a D in core 2 and they also counted my core 1 result from the beginning of the year which was a D (I also never revised for that so...) I definitely need to practice core 1 and core 2 and really understand everything instead of just memorising things.
French - B (this was my best result and I'm quite pleased because it was the one I was worrying most about when it came to choosing A Level options last year. I'm thoroughly enjoying French and I'm aiming for an A in this as well. I got an A in the exam and a B in the speaking which isn't too bad as I always do pretty badly in the speaking sessions we have due to low confidence. The reason I got a B overall was because of getting a low A and a low B so I really need to brush up on vocab for the reading section and practice some listening. I also didn't understand the question for the essay and wrote half the essay wrong so that's why I lost some marks so I need to read the question properly and take my time.)

I think the mocks were definitely a wake up call for me because GCSE's were a breeze and I hardly ever did any work so I thought I could get away with it this year as well but now I've realised that this is not the case. I really am getting serious about working now because the exams are near!
Reply 24
7/4/16

I can't believe it's been two weeks since I last posted! Feel terrible for not posting in so long but the time just flew by and I didn't even realize. I kept telling myself I'd update but then I'd be too lazy to at the end of the day and just say that I'd do it "tomorrow" and I was so close to doing the same thing today but I finally decided to sit down and post at nearly 2am :tongue:

I haven't done even close to as much revision as I was planning on doing and I'm seriously beating myself up for it because I wasted so much time. I spent a couple of hours today writing chemistry notes (I feel like I'm always writing chemistry notes!) and I'm nowhere near done because I want them to be absolutely perfect and well detailed. I've been using the AQA textbook as I've been told that the CGP revision guide doesn't have enough detail and I'm not really liking the layout of it because it's a little bit all over the place. So far, things are going good with the textbook because I feel like it's way more detailed and in a much clearer format but there also may be too much detail so I have to spend quite a bit of time deciding what to include and what not to.

I really want to get some maths done over the holidays as I'm really struggling with it at the moment and I want to go over C1 as well because I've completely forgotten about it. I also have to write a French essay on the dangers and benefits of television for homework and I have to get started on economics notes as well. I'm planning on really trying hard to do as much chemistry as I can tomorrow (or today really :/) and then doing some maths on Friday if I can. I've also got a chemistry practical on the first day back of school so I'll be looking over some notes etc for that.

I'll try to update a little earlier as it helps me keep track of my goals and what I've done so far! I feel a little bit more organised and things seem a bit less daunting :tongue:
Reply 25
18/4/16

Can't believe it's been so long since I've posted! School started on Tuesday so I've been having to do homework on top of revision now. I'm honestly so exhausted these days and I'm not quite sure why (though I waste quite a lot of time and end up going to bed late because of that). Things have gotten better in terms of procrastination because I've restricted access on my phone so I can only go on certain websites (The student room being one of them!) and now I can't access the websites which I usually spend lots of time on. I've Lao deleted apps which I regularly use and muted most chats on whatsapp etc because I feel like I have very little time left and it's kind of a last resort solution. Now when I get home, I have nothing to do so I just end up doing my work :tongue:

I found out that my French speaking is on the 5th of May and my time has been scheduled for 12:20pm. I'm kind of terrified but less than I was before so I've been reassured by the mock exam but I want to do better than I did in the mock. Considering I did last minute revision for the mock, I'm hoping I'll do a little bit better for the real one. I've still got my flashcards from the mock which were really helpful but I haven't made them for all topics yet so I'll be doing that the weekend before the exam (it's also a bank holiday weekend so I'll have an extra day :biggrin:). I'm a bit worried because we haven't started the Fashion topic yet and have yet to finish Music and Technology as well. I've heard from some people on The Student Room that Fashion is a particularly terrible topic and they tend to use it as their chosen topic in order to avoid talking about it later on but our teachers have told us not to choose it as our chosen topic as we won't have done much on it :/ I might end up choosing Family as my chosen topic again as that went well for me in the mock and I don't want to talk about marriage and friendship etc.

I'm still on chemistry notes which is a bit annoying but I'm making them as detailed as possible and I think they're going really well because I'm understanding everything much better now. I want to finish those as soon as possible so I can get started on economics notes and essay question practice and go through the maths course once more as well. It seems a little ambitious but I'm going to try my hardest to complete all my goals as I'm aiming for all A's!
Reply 26
28/4/16

I know it's been more than a week but I've been feeling so stressed lately and have had so much work to do that I haven't even thought about updating my blog! Despite exams starting in a little more than two weeks, we've been getting a fair share of homework on top of revision and it's quite annoying to be honest. I know some people use their homework as revision and think it helps but I don't feel that way. I'd like to just get on with my revision and I feel like I haven't done as much as I could've because of so much homework.

My French speaking is on Thursday and although it's a week away, I can already feel the pressure because I'd like to replicate/do better than the result I got in the mock and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that :/ Thankfully, it's a bank holiday weekend so I get an extra day where there's no school to revise for French. I'll be using my mock notes as well as writing up possible answers to more potential questions and going over those. I decided I'd keep my chosen topic as Family and keep my questions the same to make it a bit easier for myself as I'd like to avoid talking about divorce etc. I'm also really loving the Fashion topic even though I've heard complaints against it so I feel like I'm doing something wrong :tongue: I'm just passionate about fashion/the industry anyway so I feel like the topic relates to me on a personal level.

I have a chemistry mock tomorrow (Paper 2 - organic chemistry) and I haven't revised for it. I'd spent so long writing notes but I haven't looked over them. So, I'm planning on waking up at 4:30 or 5:00am - I'll set a couple of alarms with 30 minute intervals to make sure I wake up (I know this is bad but it's what I deserve for wasting time really) and I'm going to revise and maybe go over the specimen paper if I can. I've also got homework due tomorrow which I haven't done but it's French and it's about fashion so I'll try and get that done in around 10 minutes when I wake up. I feel so unorganised and demotivated but I keep thinking of everything I'll be able to do once exams are finished and keeps me going!
Reply 27
I'm currently studying Maths, Economics, History and English Language at AS. Aiming for >90% in all my Maths modules and in the mocks I dropped 5 marks over all three, so feel free to pm me if you ever need help with anything maths related. I also struggle with 20 mark questions in Economics, if you are doing edexcel maybe we could help each other out?
Reply 28
Original post by Nowen
I'm currently studying Maths, Economics, History and English Language at AS. Aiming for >90% in all my Maths modules and in the mocks I dropped 5 marks over all three, so feel free to pm me if you ever need help with anything maths related. I also struggle with 20 mark questions in Economics, if you are doing edexcel maybe we could help each other out?

what are you planning to do at university?
Reply 29
Original post by Peachy23
28/4/16

I know it's been more than a week but I've been feeling so stressed lately and have had so much work to do that I haven't even thought about updating my blog! Despite exams starting in a little more than two weeks, we've been getting a fair share of homework on top of revision and it's quite annoying to be honest. I know some people use their homework as revision and think it helps but I don't feel that way. I'd like to just get on with my revision and I feel like I haven't done as much as I could've because of so much homework.

My French speaking is on Thursday and although it's a week away, I can already feel the pressure because I'd like to replicate/do better than the result I got in the mock and I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that :/ Thankfully, it's a bank holiday weekend so I get an extra day where there's no school to revise for French. I'll be using my mock notes as well as writing up possible answers to more potential questions and going over those. I decided I'd keep my chosen topic as Family and keep my questions the same to make it a bit easier for myself as I'd like to avoid talking about divorce etc. I'm also really loving the Fashion topic even though I've heard complaints against it so I feel like I'm doing something wrong :tongue: I'm just passionate about fashion/the industry anyway so I feel like the topic relates to me on a personal level.

I have a chemistry mock tomorrow (Paper 2 - organic chemistry) and I haven't revised for it. I'd spent so long writing notes but I haven't looked over them. So, I'm planning on waking up at 4:30 or 5:00am - I'll set a couple of alarms with 30 minute intervals to make sure I wake up (I know this is bad but it's what I deserve for wasting time really) and I'm going to revise and maybe go over the specimen paper if I can. I've also got homework due tomorrow which I haven't done but it's French and it's about fashion so I'll try and get that done in around 10 minutes when I wake up. I feel so unorganised and demotivated but I keep thinking of everything I'll be able to do once exams are finished and keeps me going!

What are you planning to drop after AS?
Reply 30
Original post by Rajive
what are you planning to do at university?

Maths at King's or Birmingham hopefully. Doing an AS in Further next year and hope to take the AEA.
Reply 31
Original post by Nowen

Wow! That's a great mark in the mock. Thanks for the offer, I'll be sure to ask you if I ever need help :smile: I'm actually alright with 20 markers in Economics (depending on the question tbh) but that may be because I'm doing OCR. I don't know how different that is to Edexcel :/
Reply 32
Original post by Rajive
What are you planning to drop after AS?

I think it will depend on how the exams go. I want to do Economics at university so dropping that as well as Maths isn't really an option. I might carry on with all 4 if I do well in all of them or I may just drop Chemistry as I'm really not a fan of it :smile:
I think it will depend on how the exams go. I want to do Economics at university so dropping that as well as Maths isn't really an option. I might carry on with all 4 if I do well in all of them or I may just drop Chemistry as I'm really not a fan of it :smile:

economics at oxbridge

not doing further maths

pick 1
Reply 34
Original post by richpanda
economics at oxbridge

not doing further maths

pick 1

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say?
Reply 35
7/4/16

This past week has been so stressful for me! I had my chemistry paper 2 mock (which I did terribly in due to not using technical terms from the mark scheme and not revising very much) so I'm getting a bit worried about chemistry. Luckily, the real paper 2 exam will be after the half term break so I'll get a week to revise for that :wink:

I also had my real AS French speaking exam on Thursday which was one of the most stressful things ever! (Especially for someone who is shy and awkward and terrible at speaking to people). I spent pretty much the whole week writing practice answers to all possible questions for each topic like I had done with my mock. It was a bit scary but I got a stimulus card that I was pleased with (healthy eating) so it made things a bit easier for me as I used up the 20 minutes to write a whole response to all the questions on the card and I even had few minutes to spare so I wrote some extra phrases that I wanted to remember down. I got asked a lot of questions about fashion, many of which I didn't plan for so that was slightly tricky and I think I may have lost marks there because I didn't even answers one of the questions as I had no idea what to say! Overall, it went okay and I have no idea what to think of it. My speaking teacher said it went better than my mock (in which I got a B) but I later found out that she had said to everyone so I don't know whether she really meant that or not :/ I'm really hoping for an A so hopefully my hard works pays off! I feel much less stressed now that the speaking is over and done with and I feel like I can properly concentrate on the rest of my subjects.

I actually spent most of the day doing core 1 maths practice and it was going pretty good. I've realised how much easier it is compared to core 2 so I need to get started on that too and do some Solomon papers as well!
Reply 36
12/5/16

I've finished my chemistry inorganic notes as well as physical notes (with the exception of Hess's Law but I'm planning on doing that later and it isn't too difficult anyway) so I'm going to go over those notes a couple of time before the exam and do the specimen papers available as well as any past papers. I'll be writing organic notes during the half term as paper 2 is later on.

In my C1 revision, I'm currently on sequences and I've always struggled with that but I'm getting the hang of it so all I have left is differentiation and integration (but I know most of that as we've done it in C2 recently).

Tomorrow, I'll be doing the 2015 C1 paper as my exam is on Wednesday and then I'll be reading my economics notes as many times as I can as the exam is in Monday. On Sunday, I'll be doing the economics specimen paper and as many past papers as I can.

Really feeling the stress coming on now but I can only work under pressure, to be honest.
Reply 37
24/5/16

So it's been more than a week since my last post but I've honestly been avoiding updating this blog because between my last post and this one, I took 3 exams and they didn't turn out fantastically. Does anyone ever feel completely unsure about how they've done in an exam after leaving the exam hall? (Not just being somewhat unsure but having absolutely no idea whether the exam went well or not and knowing it could go either way). That's how I felt after each one of my exams so far (with the exception of C1 - I know I did terribly in that one 😭)
I didn't want to write this post because I didn't want to sit down and think about how I've done in my exams so far and I'm honestly so terrified for results day! I've finished both economics papers and I found them both to be fairly difficult so I'm extremely unsure about those. I know I've done terribly in C1 as I didn't read some of the questions properly and didn't realize until after the exam (especially that sequences one!) and I was also pressed for time so I had to rush through some of the questions :frown: I was avoiding looking at the unofficial mark scheme as I knew it would make me feel worse but I decided to go and look at it anyway (bad idea!) and it actually made me feel pretty sad. I'm convinced that I've done very badly in C1 but this has given me the motivation to do extra well in C2 so I'm aiming for full marks (highly unlikely but I'll try my best). So, I've been going through my textbook and doing all the example questions as well as doing all the past papers on examsolutions (I would really recommend this site for maths for those who don't know about it because it has all the past papers for different exam boards and video worked solutions to each question as well as informative videos on each topic!) C2 is on Wednesday so I'm planning on spending the whole day tomorrow just doing past papers on exam solutions.
Good Luck with the rest of your exams! :smile:
Reply 39
24/5/16

So it's been more than a week since my last post but I've honestly been avoiding updating this blog because between my last post and this one, I took 3 exams and they didn't turn out fantastically. Does anyone ever feel completely unsure about how they've done in an exam after leaving the exam hall? (Not just being somewhat unsure but having absolutely no idea whether the exam went well or not and knowing it could go either way). That's how I felt after each one of my exams so far (with the exception of C1 - I know I did terribly in that one 😭)
I didn't want to write this post because I didn't want to sit down and think about how I've done in my exams so far and I'm honestly so terrified for results day! I've finished both economics papers and I found them both to be fairly difficult so I'm extremely unsure about those. I know I've done terribly in C1 as I didn't read some of the questions properly and didn't realize until after the exam (especially that sequences one!) and I was also pressed for time so I had to rush through some of the questions :frown: I was avoiding looking at the unofficial mark scheme as I knew it would make me feel worse but I decided to go and look at it anyway (bad idea!) and it actually made me feel pretty sad. I'm convinced that I've done very badly in C1 but this has given me the motivation to do extra well in C2 so I'm aiming for full marks (highly unlikely but I'll try my best). So, I've been going through my textbook and doing all the example questions as well as doing all the past papers on examsolutions (I would really recommend this site for maths for those who don't know about it because it has all the past papers for different exam boards and video worked solutions to each question as well as informative videos on each topic!) C2 is on Wednesday so I'm planning on spending the whole day tomorrow just doing past papers on exam solutions.

I know how you feel about not looking at unofficial mark schemes but then looking at them anyway.:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending