The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
twinkledust
I'm starting a bit early i know, but am looking through prospectuses and really like the look of manchester for law. I was wondering what it is like if you're from south moving up north?? Is it welcoming?? Better or worse??

I am a manc and have lived hear all my life "do you know what 'a' mean?" but most people will welcome you. Where I live in South Manchester there is probably more southerners than mancs!

Just don't make any rude comments about the north or Manchester when you're outside and you will be fine. If the scallies hear a southerner call Manchester then you're probably asking to get your head kicked in.

My dads from London and has lived in Manhchester for 34 years since was a student. He has never had any problems although he has lost his Fulham accent now.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I'm definately going to apply to Manchester and live down in London now, never even thought about any cultural differences. Surely the students are from all over anyway.
Reply 3
jumpunderaboat
I'm definately going to apply to Manchester and live down in London now, never even thought about any cultural differences. Surely the students car from all over anyway.

Yep me too :smile: For economics??? :biggrin: We may end up applying to all the same unis!!
Reply 4
Ellie4
Yep me too :smile: For economics??? :biggrin: We may end up applying to all the same unis!!

Yup for economics, have you visited yet?
I hope its ok for southerners....... *laughs nervously*
Reply 6
People have told me bad things about Manchester, From the prospectus, i think it looks great.
Reply 7
As I said earlier just use your common sense and you will be fine, I would not go into London and say "I hate southerners" at the top of my voice for example.

Manchester has its rough areas, but so does every single other city in the country.
Manc is fine for southerners, i've been there a year and i live in london...and you can insult northerners - well u can at uni and in ure halls anyway - especially since there are more southerners than northerners! We're constantly tellin the northerners that they don't speak properly! Manchester's great for everyone it's just a fantastic place!
Reply 9
Rachel_manc
Manc is fine for southerners, i've been there a year and i live in london...and you can insult northerners - well u can at uni and in ure halls anyway - especially since there are more southerners than northerners! We're constantly tellin the northerners that they don't speak properly! Manchester's great for everyone it's just a fantastic place!

I've got to agree with what you say! In our flat, the only 'Northerner' (eg his home is further north than anyone elses) is from Derbyshire! I'm second with my house 40 miles of Nottingham. Everyone else lives in London.
twinkledust
I'm starting a bit early i know, but am looking through prospectuses and really like the look of manchester for law. I was wondering what it is like if you're from south moving up north?? Is it welcoming?? Better or worse??

I was wondering what it was like in Liverpool. Was advised not to talk in Cockney whilst I'm up there.
Reply 11
lol how many hundreds of thousands of students? got to be a few southerners in there :wink:
fishpaste
lol how many hundreds of thousands of students? got to be a few southerners in there :wink:

Who is classed as a notherner? Sounds a silly question but it really depends on how far north you think north really is. At one point when considering my universities I didn't want to further than Nottingham as I classed that as 'north'. This didn't work considering my affirmative choice is Liverpool!
Reply 13
NDGAARONDI
Who is classed as a notherner? Sounds a silly question but it really depends on how far north you think north really is. At one point when considering my universities I didn't want to further than Nottingham as I classed that as 'north'. This didn't work considering my affirmative choice is Liverpool!
Anything north of Stoke, I think is north. Below that you're in the south/midlands.

But as it happens, if you split the UK up into three equal chunks, Manchester's in the middle one :s-smilie:
fishpaste
Anything north of Stoke, I think is north. Below that you're in the south/midlands.

But as it happens, if you split the UK up into three equal chunks, Manchester's in the middle one :s-smilie:

Yes you see I used to think much of the Midlands was north.

According to this, http://www.mapquest.co.uk/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=school/worldatlas_index&atlas=untdkgdm, Manchester would just be on the borderline of the middle chunk, unless you're discarding Orkney Islands and the Shetland Islands :tongue:
Reply 15
Manchester is only just about North in UK (exlcuding the Shetlands etc) but London is quite a lot further north than Plymouth is as well.

What makes me laugh the most is Manchester is supposed to be up North, but Newcastle is much further up North from Manchester as London is South.

As for acents I wouldn't say it was safe to mock northerners accents especialy in public, but you certainly won't have any problems with people hating southerners as longs you follow these rules:

1) Don't mock the accent (I can but then I am a manc so I have a right to mock the crappy accent :tongue: )

2) Don't complain about the weather in public

3) If you see anybody with a nike base ball cap, a Shauch(sP) hoody and reebock t-shirt promptly find a bench and start stairing at them. Then when you have their attention develope a fit of laughs while feeling sorry for the scallies.

4) Don't go for a drunken walk around Minshull Street at 3:00am, you probably won't make it out alive.

Latest

Trending

Trending