The Student Room Group

Help me budget high-protein/low cal foods.

I'm cutting 'cos I'm a fattie so I need high-protein, low calorie foods. A.k.a. expensive as **** foods.

This is what I buy (protein wise) for a month (Tesco's):

Frozen chicken breast (6KG) -> £22.92/month
30/31 cans of tuna (cheapest I could find apart from the cat food tuna)-> £17.05/month
Skimmed milk (6L) -> £5.00/month
160 eggs -> £22.50/month
Nonfat Yogurt (2KG) -> £9.00/month

+
Myprotein whey (5KG) -> £5.00/month

That's almost £82 pounds per month just to get 160g of lean protein/day not counting veggies, fruits and starchy carbs (the latter are cheap though).

I don't want to have to spend more than £100/month on eating things I don't particularly enjoy eating. Do people have any tips on how to reduce food costs? (again, I've to keep my calories low so high calorie/high protein foods are not for me)
Whey protein powder is the most cost effective way of getting protein in. I don't think this is an issue of reducing food costs, but rather learning how to cook more interesting food with the items you have so that it's worth it. I really don't see how you can reduce your costs. 6kg chicken for £22 is pretty good.

Why are high protein foods not for you?
You're in your way to mercury poisoning with that amount of tuna

Tipz
1) look for deals on online butchers like musclefood and GN
2) Aldi/ lidl
3) cottage cheese, flavoured quark
4) Lentils
5) veggie sausages
6) more whey
7) Use MFP
8) You probably don't need that much protein
9) Buy bigger volumes of food
10) Turkey mince from tesco

No particular order, just brain download
Posted from TSR Mobile
Lean meats, egg whites and fish will be your friends here. Unflavoured whey protein is the cheapest source by far, but it's not very filling.
Reply 4
Original post by hezzlington
Whey protein powder is the most cost effective way of getting protein in. I don't think this is an issue of reducing food costs, but rather learning how to cook more interesting food with the items you have so that it's worth it. I really don't see how you can reduce your costs. 6kg chicken for £22 is pretty good.

Why are high protein foods not for you?

As you see, I'm taking a scoop of whey/day. I think I'd be sick of it if I drank more than that.

I said high-protein/high-fat foods are not for me. That's because I need low calories and high fat foods are not low cal. I need high-protein/low cal (lean meats, etc) which are quite expensive.

You're 100% right that I need to add stuff to make food taste at least mildly interesting. I'm suffering atm.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Angry cucumber
You're in your way to mercury poisoning with that amount of tuna

Tipz
1) look for deals on online butchers like musclefood and GN
2) Aldi/ lidl
3) cottage cheese, flavoured quark
4) Lentils
5) veggie sausages
6) more whey
7) Use MFP
8) You probably don't need that much protein
9) Buy bigger volumes of food
10) Turkey mince from tesco

No particular order, just brain download
Posted from TSR Mobile

Now I'm worried :/ does a can a day lead to mercury poisoning? I'm buying the variety of tuna with low mercury content (skipjack).

Lentils are a good choice, I'll try veggie sausages (not sure if they're cheap though), I already use MFP,

I've deduced the amount of protein I need on the basis of my lean body mass x 1g (lean body mass is around 160 pounds)

I eat around 130 on rest days btw.
Have some lean chicken meat, eat whites and protein shakes.Also eat some vegetables and fruits. Its the best possible diet for you.

Quick Reply

Latest