The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

I wanted to go to MU. Am I doomed at MMU? (Law)

Hello.

This is my first post, so please excuse any faux-pas.

I'm 26 years old and on the last leg of an access course to University. I'm the typical case that I've seen time and time again of a person int their mid-late 20's that didn't quite 'get' school, in the sense that I had a few attitude problems and the teachers (undstandably) gave up on me, despite the fact that I did very well in my studies. I just gave up at 16 and went to work instead. Didn't sit any of my GCSE's, but it didn't matter because 'I'd have failed them anyway....' I have realised that I was an idiot and I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I really want to do with my life and I decided that I want to study law.

I'm adding this because I don't want you to get the wrong impression. I'm not an idiot and I got A's and B's in all subjects (when I actually applied myself) at school. I'm not doing this course because I couldn't function in class. I was more concerend with causing trouble and the past ten years have certainly made me pay for that. Belive me...

I'm not going to bore you with the rest of the details, but basically, I set out with the goal of attending Manchester University, Liverpool University or Cardiff University studying law with criminology or Newcastle Studying law. All of which require 45 points at distinction. Manchester University was my main choice, so on my UCAS I just put MMU down as my fith arbitrarily, mostly on my tutor's advice just incase I f**ked up on one assignment and got a merit instead because MMU only requires 45 at merit.

She was right to do that...

I f**ked up on one assignment and got a merit. I hadn't anything to do with my knowledge on the subject, I got a distinction on that particular grade descriptor. The assignment was a presentation and my presentation skills were lacking (due to the fact that I've never f**king done one before, go f**king figure!!!)

I'm quite devastated to be honest with you. At first I felt like I had taken a full on Mike Tyson punch to the gut. Like I was going to puke so hard, a lenght of intestines were going to surface. Now it just feels like a mouth uncer, just an annoying sting that just wont go away,

I have all distinctions so far except this one unit and it's going to keep me out of a distinction level university and I feel like I'm settling for mediocrity by going to MMU. It really stings knowing that because I lacked skills in an area that I feel that you can only gain through experience and not through study, I'm now subjected to a lesser education.

To add insult to injury I haven't received any offers or rejections from any of the universites I wanted to go to. But I have received an offer from MMU.

Is it really that bad there?

I don't want to be insulting to MMU students, but Manchester University is clearly better in the same way Oxford and Cambridge are better than Manchester.

Is there any point in going?
Reply 1
MMU really isn't as bad as everyone makes out, they've invested a huge amount of money and recourses to the Law department in recent years. Is it worse than MU? That really depends who you are to be honest. If your someone who is going to get firsts in all your coursework's and exams then yes it is worse. If you feel you may struggle then no it certainly is not. As a student on the law course at MMU who originally wanted to go to MU I feel that I am receiving a better education than I would have been at MU, the support is much better for students that need/want it. I cant help but feel that if I was at MU I would have been struggling to keep up and left behind.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by Hughey89
Hello.

I'm 26 years old and on the last leg of an access course to University. I'm the typical case that I've seen time and time again of a person int their mid-late 20's that didn't quite 'get' school, in the sense that I had a few attitude problems and the teachers (undstandably) gave up on me, despite the fact that I did very well in my studies. I just gave up at 16 and went to work instead. Didn't sit any of my GCSE's, but it didn't matter because 'I'd have failed them anyway....' I have realised that I was an idiot and I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I really want to do with my life and I decided that I want to study law.

I'm adding this because I don't want you to get the wrong impression. I'm not an idiot and I got A's and B's in all subjects (when I actually applied myself) at school. I'm not doing this course because I couldn't function in class. I was more concerend with causing trouble and the past ten years have certainly made me pay for that. Belive me...

I'm not going to bore you with the rest of the details, but basically, I set out with the goal of attending Manchester University, Liverpool University or Cardiff University studying law with criminology or Newcastle Studying law. All of which require 45 points at distinction. Manchester University was my main choice, so on my UCAS I just put MMU down as my fith arbitrarily, mostly on my tutor's advice just incase I f**ked up on one assignment and got a merit instead because MMU only requires 45 at merit.

I f**ked up on one assignment and got a merit. I hadn't anything to do with my knowledge on the subject, I got a distinction on that particular grade descriptor. The assignment was a presentation and my presentation skills were lacking (due to the fact that I've never f**king done one before, go f**king figure!!!)

I'm quite devastated to be honest with you. At first I felt like I had taken a full on Mike Tyson punch to the gut. Like I was going to puke so hard, a lenght of intestines were going to surface. Now it just feels like a mouth uncer, just an annoying sting that just wont go away,

I have all distinctions so far except this one unit and it's going to keep me out of a distinction level university and I feel like I'm settling for mediocrity by going to MMU. It really stings knowing that because I lacked skills in an area that I feel that you can only gain through experience and not through study, I'm now subjected to a lesser education.

To add insult to injury I haven't received any offers or rejections from any of the universites I wanted to go to. But I have received an offer from MMU.

I don't want to be insulting to MMU students, but Manchester University is clearly better in the same way Oxford and Cambridge are better than Manchester.

Hi Hughey,

We're sorry to hear that you aren't excited about the prospect of studying at Manchester Metropolitan University. Have you visited the university to find out more about us? It might be worth you coming along to one of our Applicant Visit Days. At these events you'll be able to meet staff and current students, attend a taster lecture and workshop and find out more about the facilities available at the university. You'll be able to book your place at a Visit Day here: http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/visitdays/ I am sure that after you have attended a Visit Day you will have an understanding about whether you wish to study here or not. In the meantime, you may also wish to visit our Manchester School of Law web pages to find out more about the course: http://www.law.mmu.ac.uk/our-courses/llb-hons-full-time/

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
Charlotte
Course Enquiries
Hi guys I had my interview about a month ago an got a conditional offer almost instantly, I still had a few questions about the uni and found that this Facebook Group is very good! facebook.com/groups/1205413989473980/Hopefully see you all in september!!!
Reply 4
MMU is basically for people who cannot make it in MU, that's a fact. But, without being a "extraordinary university" it is not bad bad. I mean. It is not terrible. I don't know about Law, I am doing a different course, but the general feeling with anything related to MMU is "nothing to ring house about but it is not terrible"

Just be careful about all the registration process and anything related to papers. MMU has the worst admin team I have ever seen in any institution. In my course quite a lot people have had problems with finances, registration... you name it. From losing papers to forget your application on a corner.

But once you have gone through the hassle of all that, which is basically the first month, I am satisfied with the whole thing. I have received reasonable support from teachers and the facilities are quite decent.
Reply 5
Just finished at MMU, if you are in the business school I think you will find that once you hit 2nd/3rd year it is definitely not easy! The uni has worked hard over the last 5 years to get itself into the top 60 (out of 130). At MMU a lot of the courses have entry requirements which are middle tier BBC. Certainly not that bad for entry requirements. A lot of people want to go the top uni's but I know many people who dropped out or couldn't keep up due to the work being too difficult, massive workloads. When you finish uni, you will be working in a very open society with those who graduated from a variety of different uni's. If you look at subject rankings also separately MMU are ranked higher than Uni of M. This year has been a particularly good year jumping up to top 60, best business school in the North West and now part of the elite group of Business Schools in the country along side Exeter, Durham, Nottingham etc. Massive achievements right there and they will keep on getting better. Best decision ever to come here as I didn't get into Leeds.

Also - the teaching is top notch! Not just boring academic tutors, but ones that come in and teach you from the industry.
Hello.

Hey, so where did you end up ultimately?
Hello.

Just don't go would be my advice.
What is law at Man. Met.? It is merely a production line and you, the student going through it, are a mere pastry shell to which they add the standardised filling of bland yuk.

Worse still, the operatives on the conveyor belt (ie the lecturers and tutors) are more bored and lacklustre than if they were filleting haddock's at a fish processing plant. How they manage to write references for the students whom they do not know and care even less about is a mystery to me.
I totally agree with the last comment.

Man. Met. Law School (or 'Suicide Row' as it has been named in honour of its late staff members ), is a very sad place indeed.

It's principal function is to offer unchallenging subjects to very challenged students. So it hardly surprising that the whole experience is somewhat disappointing.

Of course, as with every institution, there are good staff. But the staff that are good are part-time and the staff that are terrible watch the part-time staff do all the work. If only it was the other way around it might be a halfway decent institution.

So save your money and apply somewhere that will give you a qualification that is worth more than a flier advertising a new kebab shop.
Hi guys :hello:,

I hope you're all doing well during these uncertain times.

Having read the recent comments on the Manchester Met School of Law, I am sorry to hear that some of you - I assume current students - are not enjoying studying Law at Manchester Met. Whilst we understand that each and every student experience can be different, we do strive to provide the best teaching and support to all our student community.
If current students would like to submit constructive feedback by providing examples from their experiences, they can do so by participating to the Internal Student Survey, this can be accessed through the MyMMU platform - we do appreciate your opinion and we will consider it to make the relevant improvements to offer an excellent academic experience to all students.

For those interested, you can also have a look at the latest Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), awarding Silver to Manchester Met.
You can also have a look at the work we have implemented by listening to our students, understanding their needs and views for a better student experience across all aspects of life at university. The Student Voice has had a great impact on the latest developments and changes within our courses and facilities. For example, you can read about the Third-Term Programme for first and second-year students here.

We hope that this interaction is useful and we do encourage our students to refer to the relevant support networks we have in place at the University such as the Student Hub, as well as to the academic staff teaching on your course.

If you have anything else you'd like to ask, just give us a shout :u:.

Best wishes,

Luca
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending