The Student Room Group

Acceptable forms of ID at the cinema

Scroll to see replies

Original post by savingwonderland
BUT deadpool was previously rated an 18 and it's been dropped down so expect to be asked for your date of birth OP

I'm well versed in my BBFC knowledge and can tell you that Deadpool has always been rated a 15 - your cinema may have used '18' as a placeholder/predicted rating, as one of the trailers was rated 18 for frequent strong language (as trailers are rated more harshly than full films due to their shorter length, so can get harsher ratings).
Reply 21
Use your college ID if you have it.
White people are so lucky they don't get carded at all because they always look older and haggard. :h:
Original post by rotomhead25
I'm well versed in my BBFC knowledge and can tell you that Deadpool has always been rated a 15 - your cinema may have used '18' as a placeholder/predicted rating, as one of the trailers was rated 18 for frequent strong language (as trailers are rated more harshly than full films due to their shorter length, so can get harsher ratings).

Nah it was previously rated 18 because it's rated R in america and they were trying to decide if that should translate to an 18 or a 15, but it was better to put 18 and drop it to a 15 than put 15 and bump it up to an 18
Reply 24
They don't ask for ID usually? at my cinema they couldn't care less when I was 13 I paid for a ticket to see gnomeo and juliet but then just walked into an 18 horror movie ahah, it was scary though.
hello, cinema worker here. We can't ask for ID if it's a 15 because most people don't have ID at 15, all we can ask is your age and date of birth and unless your lying about it (like say you're 16 then give me a 1997 date of birth) then we have to let you in.
tl;dr you absolutely don't need ID, we only ask your date of birth

Thank you very much for the info. Which cinema chain do you work for? I'm going to Cineworld to see Deadpool and this could apply to me.

(I've never been asked for ID at the cinema either - the only time I've shown it was me handing it to the usher without being asked for it.
The usher asked, "Is this your ticket?" and I thought that he was referring to me looking young, so I asked him, "Would you like to see my ID?". He said yes, I handed it to him and I was let it.
I think he asked ,"Is this your ticket?" because I bought a Senior ticket by mistake :tongue: )
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rk2k14
Use your college ID if you have it.

Can't do that because I'm still in Year 11
Thank you very much for the info. Which cinema chain do you work for? I'm going to Cineworld to see Deadpool and this could apply to me.

(I've never been asked for ID at the cinema either - the only time I've shown it was me handing it to the usher without being asked for it.
The usher asked, "Is this your ticket?" and I thought that he was referring to me looking young, so I asked him, "Would you like to see my ID?". He said yes, I handed it to him and I was let it.
I think he asked ,"Is this your ticket?" because I bought a Senior ticket by mistake :tongue: )

i'd rather not say aha
i'd rather not say aha

Fair enough :smile:
Fair enough :smile:

tbh i think everyone on this thread is massively overthinking it, you're watching a film not trying to buy alcohol underage its really not that serious haha
Original post by DedicatedWizard

OP, update when the day arrives. I actually want to know what happens :lol:

Good news :biggrin: We both got in and didn't have to show our ID either.

Here's how it happened:
We showed our tickets to the usher who asked us if we had student cards. We didn't, but I started fumbling in my pocket for my passport and told her that we didn't have student cards (even though I had ID in the form of my passport).
She then asked us how old we were, we (truthfully) told her that we were both 16 and she just let us in with no further questions asked

The film was great too so it all worked out well in the end :smile:
Good news :biggrin: We both got in and didn't have to show our ID either.

Here's how it happened:
We showed our tickets to the usher who asked us if we had student cards. We didn't, but I started fumbling in my pocket for my passport and told her that we didn't have student cards (even though I had ID in the form of my passport).
She then asked us how old we were, we (truthfully) told her that we were both 16 and she just let us in with no further questions asked

The film was great too so it all worked out well in the end :smile:

Good for you :biggrin: :hugs: Thank you for telling me :smile:
Interesting.

I was going to watch Deadpool with my friends too, only here it's rated R aka PG18. All of us save for myself and another person had already turned 18 and were turning 19 this year. Both myself and my other friend had not turned 18. We booked the tickets online and they didn't even check. The assumption here is if you can buy the tickets then you're old enough to watch the movie not always the case though.
Original post by Swarkles_Caskett
Interesting.

I was going to watch Deadpool with my friends too, only here it's rated R aka PG18. All of us save for myself and another person had already turned 18 and were turning 19 this year. Both myself and my other friend had not turned 18. We booked the tickets online and they didn't even check. The assumption here is if you can buy the tickets then you're old enough to watch the movie not always the case though.

I'm assuming that you live in America - R is actually 17 to see it on your own, not 18 (so PG17 as you'd put it), unless you're in Tennessee (where you do have to be 18 to see it on your own a.k.a PG18)
I'm assuming that you live in America - R is actually 17 to see it on your own, not 18 (so PG17 as you'd put it), unless you're in Tennessee (where you do have to be 18 to see it on your own a.k.a PG18)

Nope I don't live in America actually. I always thought R was 18 but anyway it's PG18 here (18PL as we call it :wink: )
Reply 35
hello, cinema worker here. We can't ask for ID if it's a 15 because most people don't have ID at 15, all we can ask is your age and date of birth and unless your lying about it (like say you're 16 then give me a 1997 date of birth) then we have to let you in. If it's an 18 however we're completely allowed to ask for photo ID because you're expected to carry it and it's likely to be a very violent film. BUT deadpool was previously rated an 18 and it's been dropped down so expect to be asked for your date of birth OP

tl;dr you absolutely don't need ID, we only ask your date of birth

Hey, I want to watch an 18 this week, but I've sent my provisional driving licence to the DVLA as I'm getting my actual licence, so the only
Other photo ID I have is my passport which I do not really want to be carrying about.
Would you as a cinema worker accept a photograph of both my passport and provisional licence as ID? They clearly show my DOB as me being 18.
(Odeon cinema)
Tell that to showcase where they are insisting on photo if for a 15 rated film. I'm his mum but she would not accept my word for it. We had to leave!!
Our policy at my cinema is to ID. In Scotland you can get something called a Young Scot card which is a photo ID most teenagers/early 20s have and it's basically a student/discount card and most people have one.

It's when you get idiots who ask for a child ticket which is 14- then complain at me when I ask to prove they're 15 :lol:
Lol what cinema is this. Once they accepted a zip card at mine. They did not allow my friend once but he bought no ID and he wasn't actually 15.
Original post by AndrewSCO
Our policy at my cinema is to ID. In Scotland you can get something called a Young Scot card which is a photo ID most teenagers/early 20s have and it's basically a student/discount card and most people have one.

It's when you get idiots who ask for a child ticket which is 14- then complain at me when I ask to prove they're 15 :lol:

We are in Reading. Our bus passes and library cards are not photo cards. The schools do not provide photo cards. He does not have a passport, and the cheapest form of photo is I can find is £15. I begrudge paying it so that he can see a film. He'll be 16 in January - his birth certificate should be acceptable. I think it is discrimination against non passport holders.

Quick Reply

Latest