The Student Room Group

Leeds College of Art, Creative Advertising Interview

Hi
I have an interview for creative advertising as LCA next week and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in these interviews and could warn me on what to expect and what I would need to know?
Reply 1
I have an interview this Friday!! If you've already had yours, would you please share your experience?
Reply 2
So basically, I just presented my portfolio and Fabio asked me to tell him about myself. He asked what I was most passionate about and why I wanted to do marketing. He told me he just wanted to see what my personality was like.
Good luck!!
Reply 3
Original post by colone97
So basically, I just presented my portfolio and Fabio asked me to tell him about myself. He asked what I was most passionate about and why I wanted to do marketing. He told me he just wanted to see what my personality was like.
Good luck!!

Oh okay cool. Did you do a group task/exercise? I know some uni's do that. And what's the dress code? Not sure whether to go looking smart casual or smart. I mean it's not necessarily an artsy course where you can dress any way you like.
Reply 4
Nope just an individual interview. I was dress pretty smart but another girl who was with me wore jeans and a body warmer so really I don't think it matters
Reply 5
Oh okay. I might dress smart casual then. So is leeds your first or second choice?
Reply 6
Leeds is my first choice with Strathclyde being my second for Marketing.
They never told me what the grade requirements are, do you know?

is Leeds your first choice?
Reply 7
Uhm when I went to the open day they just said that it was 270 UCAS points so I think they take you on based on your UCAS points rather than grades. I have 270 UCAS points from my A Levels but because I'm doing a foundation course I don't think mine count. With the offers I've had so far, they've asked me to get like for example 165 UCAS points or a specific BTEC grade.

Ooo I've never heard of Strathclyde. Where's that? And no Leeds is my second choice. Lincoln is my first.
Reply 8
Oh ok, that seems reasonable enough. Whats your foundation course on?
Uni of Strathclyde is in the centre of Glasgow, really really nice university.
Reply 9
Right now I'm doing an Art & Design foundation course, I'm guessing your doing your A levels? When I finished my A Levels I had no idea what I wanted to do for my degree.
Oh okay, I've never heard of it. It's miles away from where I live though, don't think I'd want to be that far away from home.
Reply 10
Okay I've googled the uni and oh wow! It looks divine!
Reply 11
hahaha, well I'm actually from Belfast, but I haven't applied anywhere at home, only applied to places across the water!
Yeah, I'm currently studying ICT, Business Studies and Art and Design.

Good Luck for your interview tomorrow!
Reply 12
Oh okay fair enough. All my uni's apart from Falmouth are about 3 hours away from where I live. Ooo interesting choices. So you're interested in the business side of advertising and marketing? I'm hoping to become an art director.

And thank you! Fingers crossed all goes well! :crossedf: Have you finished all your interviews?
Reply 13
Yeah pretty much, more of a business person. I only had the one interview because the rest of my courses were just straight business degrees.
Did you have many interviews?
Reply 14
I've been given interviews for all of my choices apart from Southampton Solent, they just gave me a straight up offer. I'm kind of glad cause I don't actually want to go there and I didn't have to spend money on going to an interview for a course I don't even want to be in. I just used it as a 4th choice :colondollar: But for the rest I've had interviews. I did a Skype one with Falmouth, just had my Leeds one (which went well by the way. They gave me an unconditional offer!!:banana: and my last one is next Wednesday for Lincoln. Fingers crossed that goes well.
Original post by YoungZ
I've been given interviews for all of my choices apart from Southampton Solent, they just gave me a straight up offer. I'm kind of glad cause I don't actually want to go there and I didn't have to spend money on going to an interview for a course I don't even want to be in. I just used it as a 4th choice :colondollar: But for the rest I've had interviews. I did a Skype one with Falmouth, just had my Leeds one (which went well by the way. They gave me an unconditional offer!!:banana: and my last one is next Wednesday for Lincoln. Fingers crossed that goes well.

I haven't applied for this year as I'm still in my first year of my creative media production course. We did an advertising module which I really enjoyed and since then I've been looking as advertising courses. Leeds is one I've been looking into a lot. I was wondering... does the portfolio have to be all have to be about advertising? But tutors at college have told me my media portfolio should do as it shows how I progress from research to a final product blah blah blah. But I thought I should check with people who have actually applied and created a portfolio for the interview.
Reply 16
Original post by johannarebecca7
I haven't applied for this year as I'm still in my first year of my creative media production course. We did an advertising module which I really enjoyed and since then I've been looking as advertising courses. Leeds is one I've been looking into a lot. I was wondering... does the portfolio have to be all have to be about advertising? But tutors at college have told me my media portfolio should do as it shows how I progress from research to a final product blah blah blah. But I thought I should check with people who have actually applied and created a portfolio for the interview.

Hi!

Don't worry about including work related to advertising. My portfolio, apart from one piece, had nothing to do with advertising. They pretty much just want you to bring work that you're proud of. Whether it be creative writing essays/stories,paintings, storyboards. Literally bring anything you want to show them and talk to them about. My portfolio was just full of paintings, drawings, photography pieces and like a few typography, screen printing and 3D work. But to be honest, although having a good portfolio is key, the interview is more about you and less about your work. They're more keen on just knowing why you want to do advertising and what is it that you love about the course and why you want to study at that particular uni. But do include some of your advertising stuff cause it'll be something great to talk about.

Quick Reply

Latest