The Student Room Group

Expert Teachers - University staff

There has been recent debate about qualifications and expertees of teachers at schools. Are universities even worse?
On my course the course leaders area of knowledge was scuba diving and biology, in that order! His sidekick in collusion had his primary area of responsibility listed as Horticulture.
The expert in Innovations in Energy was a Mechanical Engineer who was not even a member of the staff. He was a complete outsider. Anyone else think students are being conned!
Original post by indebt27k
There has been recent debate about qualifications and expertees of teachers at schools. Are universities even worse?
On my course the course leaders area of knowledge was scuba diving and biology, in that order! His sidekick in collusion had his primary area of responsibility listed as Horticulture.
The expert in Innovations in Energy was a Mechanical Engineer who was not even a member of the staff. He was a complete outsider. Anyone else think students are being conned!

well for all we know you might be doing a course in scuba diving and biology... if you're doing medieval history it might be a problem though.
Hmm... All my university teachers have a PhD in what they teach and engage in active and continuous research in their area of expertise.

Which university do you go to?
Reply 3
Original post by Keyhofi
Hmm... All my university teachers have a PhD in what they teach and engage in active and continuous research in their area of expertise.

Which university do you go to?

I did environmental science at NUT ( transpose the 2nd and 3rd initial and you have it, a strong link to Robin Hood ) The teacher who became an instant expert on Innovations in Energy was an old stager from the former days as an Agricultural College.
As the course progressed it became obvious that very few staff had anything to do with the earth/geography science that it was supposed to be based on.
Our year felt conned, taken for a ride. 66% of students got a 2:2 or worse, the results were fabricated to the students disadvantage. we were used as pawns in an internal power struggle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending