The Student Room Group

I end up leaving every job I find :(

I have a huge problem. I completed my degree over a year and a half ago and yet since then I have only had two jobs, one lasting 6 months, the other 3 months. I left the first one as my boss was very perverted and a absolute bully. After he asked me to marry him and told me how much he was in love with me, I left the company. It was far too awkward to carry on.

I then found another job after months of searching, but this was just a temporary contract for three months. Since then, I have found work but left within days. This keeps happening, I seem to have made a bit of a habit out of it. The first few jobs involved a fair bit of travel (around an hour and a half each way), so I told myself that I'd find someplace nearer to me and left. About a month ago I found what seemed like a good job for me and it was literally minutes away. After a few days I realised how much I hated going there, time seemed to stand still whilst at work. I went out one lunch break and never returned.

Now again I am stuck looking for a job and am struggling to find anything. It really doesn't help that I am extremely socially awkward, which puts a lot of potential employers off when they interview me. I worry that even if I do find something, I'll end up leaving the job again, how do I stop?! This seems to have become the norm for me now. I can't seem to enjoy work and miss my student days.
Reply 1
Hey,

Looks like you've been unlucky.

You're leaving your job because you don't like it. It's normal. I've been doing the same thing. Until I finally found a job I can do and hours aren't that bad.

Also, you will usually quit the job early because you're not comfortable around and as you probably know, change is a big factor here.

If you're financially unstable, go and find something very soon. Here is the link with most jobs and positions you can apply for. Hopefully it will give you some idea.

Spoiler

Hope you will find something you'll be happy with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I have a huge problem. I completed my degree over a year and a half ago and yet since then I have only had two jobs, one lasting 6 months, the other 3 months. I left the first one as my boss was very perverted and a absolute bully. After he asked me to marry him and told me how much he was in love with me, I left the company. It was far too awkward to carry on.

I then found another job after months of searching, but this was just a temporary contract for three months. Since then, I have found work but left within days. This keeps happening, I seem to have made a bit of a habit out of it. The first few jobs involved a fair bit of travel (around an hour and a half each way), so I told myself that I'd find someplace nearer to me and left. About a month ago I found what seemed like a good job for me and it was literally minutes away. After a few days I realised how much I hated going there, time seemed to stand still whilst at work. I went out one lunch break and never returned.

Now again I am stuck looking for a job and am struggling to find anything. It really doesn't help that I am extremely socially awkward, which puts a lot of potential employers off when they interview me. I worry that even if I do find something, I'll end up leaving the job again, how do I stop?! This seems to have become the norm for me now. I can't seem to enjoy work and miss my student days.

Hi, this is interesting and really quite worrying. You don't seem to give the job a chance. If time stands still while you're working, ask your boss what else you can do, how you can help etc. A few days isn't enough time to gauge how well a job suits you.

Figure out what you want in a job before you apply. Realistically. If you don't think you can travel for an hour and a half, don't apply there. It's a waste of time for you, and the employer. Think what job you want, what industry, the type of people you work with etc. During your interview, ask about the job role as well, so that before accepting the job you know what to expect.

Also, OP, you need to suck it up, it's a job, it's money, it's experience. Don't leave a job until you find another. You can't just expect to find a cushy job of your dreams - gain experience and find out what it is you want to do. It looks so so bad on your CV if you have these gaps and you were at a job for a few months, a few weeks etc - it makes you unemployable.
Reply 3
if you keep leaving future employees will ask the reasons and may deem you unprofessional/unreliable
Firstly this is really not normal. You left one job for a legitimate reason although it still won't look good as sharing that reason to a new employer is perhaps not the best move as it just looks bad to down talk your previous manager. The three month stint is not a problem as it was a temp contract, plenty of people work these and it's normal. However leaving jobs the way you have done is a really poor show. You're probably better off not actually putting them on your CV than showing that you left jobs within a couple of weeks repeatedly, who would hire you knowing that? Had you done it as a one off where you had a big commmute you could have explained that after you stayed in your next job, but you didn't. This is the working world. You need to grow up and accept hat work isn't always going to be fun and exciting. Sometimes it will be counting down the minutes til the end of the day. If you hate it it is fine to look for something else, it is not find to walk out at lunch time and never come back. If that's the attitude you take to work I am not suprised you aren't finding more. You need to find something low paid where they aren't fussy asap and stick it out to demonstrate you are employable.
Reply 5
I agree, you don't always do what you like in life. I've had terrible jobs and I've never left them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending