The Student Room Group

I recently got a job at the most toxic place ever and I want to quit!

I recently got a job at a retail place which took me in despite no experience. I was immediately placed on tills where I have been making mistakes nonstop due to my anxiety and this has caused all of the management to despise me. They have made all the employees hate me and one of my managers talks so much trash about me to my co workers saying he’s going to fire me. This is my first job as well and my mental health has flown through the chart. I’m too nervous to resign because of how scary the management are and that I’ve only started 3 weeks ago. All my colleagues also are very clicky so they aren’t much help.

Scroll to see replies

So quit .
One simple solution: Quit and find a better job
Reply 3
Original post by username54
One simple solution: Quit and find a better job

If only it was that simple 😭
Original post by jidaaaaxo

What complications are there?
Reply 5
What complications are there?

I just don’t want to seem like the weak one here that’s quitting when I’ve just started even though my boss is threatening to fire me. And also I’m afraid that I won’t find a job since it’s hard getting one nowadays. Idk how to quit retail too

Why is it not that simple? You've said you don't want to resign because of how scary management are, but resigning is literally how you get away from them. It won't be a big deal for them and whilst I appreciate it's scary because you've never done it before, it is a simple thing to do. Just talk to your manager and say something along the lines of "I'm really grateful for the opportunity to work here, but I just don't think this job is for me and I'm going to leave. I'm happy to work my notice period or my remaining shifts, but if you don't need me to do that this can be my last shift". You've been working there three weeks. It really won't be an issue if you just leave at this point.
Reply 7
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Why is it not that simple? You've said you don't want to resign because of how scary management are, but resigning is literally how you get away from them. It won't be a big deal for them and whilst I appreciate it's scary because you've never done it before, it is a simple thing to do. Just talk to your manager and say something along the lines of "I'm really grateful for the opportunity to work here, but I just don't think this job is for me and I'm going to leave. I'm happy to work my notice period or my remaining shifts, but if you don't need me to do that this can be my last shift". You've been working there three weeks. It really won't be an issue if you just leave at this point.

Thanks for this, I’m just not a confident person and knowing all my colleagues they’ll end up laughing with my managers saying stuff like good riddance and “she couldn’t even last that long” however I will take this into consideration and definitely speak to my manager ASAP.
Thanks for this, I’m just not a confident person and knowing all my colleagues they’ll end up laughing with my managers saying stuff like good riddance and “she couldn’t even last that long” however I will take this into consideration and definitely speak to my manager ASAP.

Who cares if your colleagues say this? You likely won't see them again.
I just don’t want to seem like the weak one here that’s quitting when I’ve just started even though my boss is threatening to fire me. And also I’m afraid that I won’t find a job since it’s hard getting one nowadays. Idk how to quit retail too

If your mental health is being severely affected, then it's in your best interests to leave. Ik that it's quite difficult to find jobs rn but it's not worth it. Before quitting, maybe search for new jobs?
Reply 10
Original post by SpaceLover29
Who cares if your colleagues say this? You likely won't see them again.

Your right lmao, I’m just not used to the hate ngl. And I didn’t expect such a cold shoulder from them
Reply 11
If your mental health is being severely affected, then it's in your best interests to leave. Ik that it's quite difficult to find jobs rn but it's not worth it. Before quitting, maybe search for new jobs?

Yes will do, and I’ll do my best to leave because this job is eating me alive
Reply 12
Thank u so much! You don’t understand how much I appreciate your help🤍 Yes i definitely need help with resigning although my pay day is in two weeks so i thought I could start planning it then and I’ll deffo take your advice into consideration. I think what’s stopping me is knowing my managers and their reaction which is making me uneasy

I don't know if this will make things better or worse, but honestly within a week I expect they will have forgotten about you completely. As human beings we so often overestimate the extent that other people pay attention to us or remember the things we do. Everybody has that anxiety to one degree or another as to what other people think about them and the things that they do. As a result people just don't pay you as much regard as you think, because their focus is primarily on themselves in the same way that yours is. The reality of this situation is that for whatever reason you are in a working environment that you are not suited to. In which case you leave and find a job elsewhere. There's no weakness in that. You cannot be suited to every job, every set of colleagues and every working environment. So leave this one behind and find one that does work for you.
Reply 14
Original post by Crazy Jamie
I don't know if this will make things better or worse, but honestly within a week I expect they will have forgotten about you completely. As human beings we so often overestimate the extent that other people pay attention to us or remember the things we do. Everybody has that anxiety to one degree or another as to what other people think about them and the things that they do. As a result people just don't pay you as much regard as you think, because their focus is primarily on themselves in the same way that yours is. The reality of this situation is that for whatever reason you are in a working environment that you are not suited to. In which case you leave and find a job elsewhere. There's no weakness in that. You cannot be suited to every job, every set of colleagues and every working environment. So leave this one behind and find one that does work for you.

Your right tbh. I know for a fact they will forget because everyone there is not fond of me especially the managers. But I appreciate your response :smile:
I know it's easy to say, but quit ASAP. I've worked toxic, abusive jobs, and the impact on your mental health, confidence, self-esteem isn't worth it.
I recently got a job at a retail place which took me in despite no experience. I was immediately placed on tills where I have been making mistakes nonstop due to my anxiety and this has caused all of the management to despise me. They have made all the employees hate me and one of my managers talks so much trash about me to my co workers saying he’s going to fire me. This is my first job as well and my mental health has flown through the chart. I’m too nervous to resign because of how scary the management are and that I’ve only started 3 weeks ago. All my colleagues also are very clicky so they aren’t much help.

Hi! Literally same as me i started 2 months ago and was being moaned at for stuff i wasnt taught. It was also my 1st retail job and i have anxeity too :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by bennydfrg
Hi! Literally same as me i started 2 months ago and was being moaned at for stuff i wasnt taught. It was also my 1st retail job and i have anxeity too :frown:

Ahh we’re in the same boat😭 trust me I’ve been trained for like 30 mins and told to watch my other employees and then I get shouted at and cussed by my manager. I heard this is usual treatment for new starters 😩
Ahh we’re in the same boat😭 trust me I’ve been trained for like 30 mins and told to watch my other employees and then I get shouted at and cussed by my manager. I heard this is usual treatment for new starters 😩

Yeah honestly it is! if you want to talk more about it pm me :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by alkhansa
I know it's easy to say, but quit ASAP. I've worked toxic, abusive jobs, and the impact on your mental health, confidence, self-esteem isn't worth it.

Your right! It’s crazy because i keep blaming myself and thinking I’m too sensitive and taking everything to heart. But I’ve observed the way my managers treat the other employees and they’re always being nice and approachable but just because im a new starter they literally give me dirts and talk trash about me all the time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending