The Student Room Group

Nacho's Ultimate Self-Study

Scroll to see replies

@Someboady
Thank you!
let me explain what I meant by smart study, my sister took A' Level exams just this November in 2015. You know what, she studied hard, really hard, but ended up with grades not very good. Why? Because she had worked only hard, she went through all of the books, focussed more on in-depth study, just solidified her concepts till the end, read books and books! lots of books for her science subjects, and the result was, at the end she had little time for past papers, which meant she couldn't cope the exam well!... and there are guys out there who just study past papers in the last few months, and get A*s! how on earth! they study smart! yes!
For my Maths, I just went through the concepts, my main focus is past papers! they will help me have enough practice too. Right now, I am revising each topic then do it's topical past papers. At the end, I'd go through all past papers year by year.
this is smart study! You don't have to go through each question in the book, but in the past paper you have to!
Today's Biology Update:
For biology, I've been solving a practical paper, (9700/31, Oct/Nov 2007), I used catalase (potato extract) to catalyse the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide. I made three different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide (20 vol, 10 vol and 5 vol) and tried to react it with potato extract. Under normal conditions it had to produce bubbles and I had to count the number of bubbles in water for the rate of reacction. However, I had to meet with great disappointment when no bubbles were produced and when I searched for that, I found out my hydrogen peroxide has been old and is stale, so it won't react!! well, I can't get a new stock for at least a week yet.
Moving to my next question, I had to examine a transverse section of a stem under the microscope and make plan diagrams. Here is how a dicot stem looks under the microscope (low-power):
IMAG2627.jpg
and this is a monocot stem:
Attachment not found

I just made it's plan diagram:
Attachment not found

and this is how a monoct stem looks under high-power:
ucles sending.jpg

I was also supposed to make a plan diagram under hihg-power but I don't think I have done it right.
p.s.: Sorry for the low-quality of pics, I don't have a good camera, so this was the best I could manage!
Today's Maths and Chemistry Update:
I'm just revising Vectors in Maths and then will do it's topical past papers. I am going pretty fine there. Chemistry is more of a trouble for me. I need more supplies for my practicals which I can't get until next week, I have pretty short time ( about two months from now) from my exam so I'm pretty tight in schedule. I'm revising Inorganic Chemistry, periodicity and Group II trends. I've just printed out a copy of periodic table that I always have at hand when I'm studying periodicity. That way, it helps me memorize the trends more easily.
I've got a chart for Organic Chemistry which is quite helpful. Here it is:
Today's Update:
Chemistry--Past Exam Papers on Inorganic Chemistry, Periodicity and Group II
Maths ---Past Exam Papers on Vectors
Biology ---- Revision of 'The Mammalian Heart
Original post by NachoPhilosopher
Today's Update:
Chemistry--Past Exam Papers on Inorganic Chemistry, Periodicity and Group II
Maths ---Past Exam Papers on Vectors
Biology ---- Revision of 'The Mammalian Heart

Is this what you had already done or were planning to do today?
when I posted, it was a plan, but almost done by now..just doing the last thing: Maths' Vectors
Original post by BryonyG98
Is this what you had already done or were planning to do today?
when I posted, it was a plan, but almost done by now..just doing the last thing: Maths' Vectors

Ahh. I was just wondering!

Well done on completing everything on your list
Today's Update:
I'm all done with the Paper 1 of Maths, revision+topical past papers and finally ready for at least one paper now!
For biology, I'll be revising Transport in Multicellular Plants and for Chemistry I'll be revising Organic Chemistry, the last of all sections of Chemistry and then I'll be solving yearly past papers!
@Someboady
Thank you!
let me explain what I meant by smart study, my sister took A' Level exams just this November in 2015. You know what, she studied hard, really hard, but ended up with grades not very good. Why? Because she had worked only hard, she went through all of the books, focussed more on in-depth study, just solidified her concepts till the end, read books and books! lots of books for her science subjects, and the result was, at the end she had little time for past papers, which meant she couldn't cope the exam well!... and there are guys out there who just study past papers in the last few months, and get A*s! how on earth! they study smart! yes!
For my Maths, I just went through the concepts, my main focus is past papers! they will help me have enough practice too. Right now, I am revising each topic then do it's topical past papers. At the end, I'd go through all past papers year by year.
this is smart study! You don't have to go through each question in the book, but in the past paper you have to!

I love ur concept of study smart rather than study hard!! Im currently doing AS level in same subjects as u plus psychology and i think i just needed a bit of motivation which i got by reading ur great story. Thanx for the revision tips. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh thank you! great to hear that! :smile:
Original post by Zainab14
I love ur concept of study smart rather than study hard!! Im currently doing AS level in same subjects as u plus psychology and i think i just needed a bit of motivation which i got by reading ur great story. Thanx for the revision tips. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Long time since update...
so I just solved June 2014 Biology Paper 1 yesterday and scored 22/40...well that's a LOT awful I know but since it was my very first paper I attempted for Biology p1, I wouldn't give up...I solved another today, June 2013 P1, which was worse than yesterday's but still..I'm going to learn from my mistakes and improve on my weak points.
For Chemistry, I am still revising Organic Chemistry, the MCQ Paper of Chemistry is really horrible and I don't want to attempt that before I'm fully ready for it. So I revised Alkenes today, the first time I read them, it was just like I was just flipping through pages without getting half the knowledge but thank God, this time I read, it has been a lot lot better, I understood almost everything. The mechanism of Bromination, Hydrogenation and Hydration reaction...all that stuff.
So, for Maths, I've been revising S1. I solved questions on 'Representation of the Data' yesterday and today, I plan to do 'Probability'.
Good luck to me for all my subjects, especially the horrible Chemistry! :biggrin:
UPDATE:
Hello everyone! Just one month and 25 days to go! TOO near! I'm panicking but I should not, well, I am almost ready for my exams. Here is what I have been doing recently:

CHEMISTRY:
I'm revising very slowly in Chemistry since I am wanting to have grip on a topic before moving forward. So, yesterday I revised half topic of 'Alcohols' and today I revise the next half. That leaves me with just three topics. I am also attempting past papers meanwhile, though not much, since I want to revise fully before I do that, but having a look at pastpapers beforehand, also prepares me better for I know in what way the questions can be formed.

MATHEMATICS:
As I already mentioned above, I was done with Paper 1 fully, I'm revising Statistics and since I have been focussing more on my science subjects, I admit, I haven't been studying much Maths so I'm still doing Probability, (though I didn't realize that before but writing it out has made me realize THANKS TO GYG (y)!)

BIOLOGY:
This is the subject where I have been spending half of my day because at the start of my course, I thought this was the easiest but as I attempted pastpapers, I realize it wasn't so, I have been under-estimating it! My highest score so far in Paper 1 (MCQs) has been 24/40. But I can see how I am improving with each paper I attempt. Each coming paper is easy for me as I am moving forward. Today I'll be attempting May/June 2011 9700/11. Let's see what my score comes to be. I'll be positing it soon!
UPDATE:
I've just created for myself a detailed plan of past papers.. I've been wasting a lot of time recently and so I want to have focussed plan with short term and long term goals.

Today I'll be solving:
Chemistry May/June 2007 Paper1
Chemistry May/June 2007 Paper2
Biology May/June 2007 Paper 1
Mathematics May/June 2007 Paper1
and Topical past papers on Binomial Distribution for S1

well...that's a lot for me but let's see what I can do. I'll do my best to complete all my tasks!
UPDATE:
I've just created for myself a detailed plan of past papers.. I've been wasting a lot of time recently and so I want to have focussed plan with short term and long term goals.

Today I'll be solving:
Chemistry May/June 2007 Paper1
Chemistry May/June 2007 Paper2
Biology May/June 2007 Paper 1
Mathematics May/June 2007 Paper1
and Topical past papers on Binomial Distribution for S1

well...that's a lot for me but let's see what I can do. I'll do my best to complete all my tasks!

I couldn't do anything that day...It just took me hours to print out all those past papers but finally I'm done and I wouldn't have to worry about printing them when I need the next ones...
so I am done with Chemistry P1 and P2 and Maths P1 but Biology still left so today, I'll be doing that along with...
Binomial Distribution for S1
Maths Oct/Nov 2007 P1
Biology May/June 2007 Paper 2

and no more...because I know this is the maximum that I can do and setting myself too high goals just makes me end up really crestfallen!
I just did Maths Oct/Nov 2007 Paper 1 today and did it almost all correct, except for a part or two.
For Chemistry, I've decided to do some Solved Topical past papers before handling the yearly because they are really proving quite challenging for me
For Biology, it's all going fine, solving papers and revising, just solved May/June 2008 Paper 2 yesterday, almost all correct.
I've also found that my blog is going a bit boring, like colorless and so much like well bogus..so I thought I will share some tips too, from my own experience of self-study. Here we go with the first one:
With just a month from exams, i'm already panicking! but not really, cuz I'm already done with so many papers and my past papers checklist is half filled with ticks now and it's so satisfying every time I have done a paper and I tick that in the checklist.
I solved my Maths P1 M/J 2008 yesterday and it was 95% correct :biggrin: I just can' stop smiling at my accomplishment
but still S1 to prepare! Arrangements are just proving such tension for me! can't seem to get them but hopefully, I will be done with them too soon!

For Chemistry also, which was my worst subjects, I'm getting better. Now my MCQs are like 75% correct when they were only 45% correct when I started solving them

Biology is perfect! I find it too easy :biggrin: I just did a practical paper now it went so fine!
and here is my Tip#2,
Another tip from my experience:
And just 19 days from exams!!
I'm done with almost 6 years of past papers in all three of my subjects and I can feel my confidence building. I was on E grade when I started solving and today, I scored 29/40 in Chemistry which stands at A grade. This is real improvement and I'm unable to believe myself. My goal is distinction so I need to score full marks, and by the grace of God, I hope that I shall reach my goal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending