The Student Room Group

Nacho's Ultimate Self-Study

Scroll to see replies

19 days from exam? How come they're so early?
Original post by NachoPhilosopher
And just 19 days from exams!!
I'm done with almost 6 years of past papers in all three of my subjects and I can feel my confidence building. I was on E grade when I started solving and today, I scored 29/40 in Chemistry which stands at A grade. This is real improvement and I'm unable to believe myself. My goal is distinction so I need to score full marks, and by the grace of God, I hope that I shall reach my goal.
Original post by VisibleGenius
19 days from exam? How come they're so early?

Ours start on 3rd May, zone 4 CIE
A LOT of past papers and finally I'm able to score 70/75 in my Chemistry Paper 2.:dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2::dancing2:and I can't believe Organic Chemistry I know like the back of my hand now!! In Mathematics, I have just been overconfident,:colondollar: I did my last paper really bad and I will be paying it more attention from now on. Biology, I couldn't pay much attention to and I'm lagging behind a lot. Just revised Mitosis and I'm a lot better at it now.But my tomorrow's plan are pretty big!! They include:Chem P1 June 2014 11Chem P2 June 2013 22Mathematics June 2012 01Biology P2 June 2013 22Biology P1 June 2014 11and A LOT OF Biology Revision And before I sleep, I will be solving an S1 paper and completing my Chemistry paper
Wow I love this blog! What an interesting way to study. It sounds like you're doing great so far. Good luck with those exams! :clap2:
Original post by Fox Corner
Wow I love this blog! What an interesting way to study. It sounds like you're doing great so far. Good luck with those exams! :clap2:

OH Yes!! Thank you so much! I gotta ace my exams!!:biggrin:
I'm struggling with Computer Science. The Mark schemes are very specific. One mark per point made. I make the point but in a very round about fashion and sometimes the point isn't on the mark scheme but it should still be a valid point. What can I do to get more specific points for all questions? Plus its a new spec so there are different topics as well
Original post by Someboady
I'm struggling with Computer Science. The Mark schemes are very specific. One mark per point made. I make the point but in a very round about fashion and sometimes the point isn't on the mark scheme but it should still be a valid point. What can I do to get more specific points for all questions? Plus its a new spec so there are different topics as well

I'm sorry for the late response, but I don't take Computer Science so I've no idea about it... Anything else I can help with? :smile:
Sooo,
Paper 2s are going very fine but Paper 1 of MCQs is still a GREAT trouble for me...Today, I scored 24/40 in Chemistry, while I had started to score around 30 lately but I don't know what happened this time :frown: in Biology, I scored 33/40, a little encouraging but still far from my goal of 40. Mathematics is all fine. I just solve a paper or two once a week for Maths, because my syllabus is all covered and all I need to do is pretty much not forget what I have learned.

I have done all paper 11s from June 2007 to November 2015, for both Biology and Chemistry. Pretty much a lot of papers! but honestly, I'm still not satisfied so I'm moving to Paper 12s now, (another variant for the same paper I will be taking).
And just 11 day!!!
Countdown starts!
10 DAYS!!
It's just 10:30 in the morning and yet I've already done two papers, Bio P2 and Chem P2, both done pretty fine, almost all correct, except one or two little questions. I'm very satisfied with Paper 2 but Paper 1 is still more of a problem. I've already practiced about 8 years of papers for each bio and chemistry but still not satisfied, so I'm doing the other variant now. I'm at highest able to score 33/40, in Bio and 30/40 in Chemistry, which are still far away from my goal.
My today's plan includes:
Two more Paper 2 s (each for bio and chem)
Chemistry Paper 1
Biology Paper 1
Maths P1
and of course two I've already done so tick tick :dance:
I just had my Biology Paper 2 Exam today...
It all went really smooth although I was late for my exam, and had 5 minutes less, but I still did it before time.
It was pretty fine over all.

I have Maths Paper 1 tomorrow and Chemistry Paper 2. I hope it goes well too
ALRIGHT!
Finally three of the most tough papers are done! A one-sec dance party!!
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Had my Chemistry and Maths the same day, but it went pretty fine.
I just had a little doubt in a 3 mark question, which I couldn't solve, otherwise both papers were fantastic!

Now, Practical papers I'm looking forward to, Biology is on 17th May. let's hope for the best!
Alright! I have got some tips for all those GCSE guys who would appearing for the first time for their exams.

#1- Keep calm and composed. Don't be nervous! No matter what, don't stress.
#2- Take breakfast the morning of yoru exam day. Even if you don't want it, your blood sugar level should be high enough to keep you get working until it's over.
#3- Drink a lot of water before exam, I don't mean immediately before exam, or you would have to use the restroom every now and then, which isn't a good idea in exam. I mean like an hour before, keep yourself hydrated. This will keep your mind and body fresh.
#4- Sleep well. I know how it feels like, like you have to revise this and this, then will go to sleep. But BELIEVE Me! Whatever you read in the last moments, you are not going to remember a word of it!

Relax your mind before exam, don't even think about anything about exam! Pretend like it's a very normal day. When you do that, your mind would give it's best in the hours you need it the most!
(edited 7 years ago)
So many days and I 've been trying to update my blog, but only if this laptop of mine would allow me to!! It's extremely slow and even now, tpes 10 seconds after I have typed the word.

So there has been a lot going on! Since I am heading for my Practical exams very soon, one tmorrow and the next on 24th, so I am spending most of time in the lab. Recently I did a practical where I required sodium ethanedioate but I had oxalic acid (ethanedioic acid) and sodium hydroxide. So, I thought if I mix their equal molar ratio, I must come up with sodium ethanedioate. I couldn't find much information about this over the internet, just a little hint in wikipedia, so I did it alll my own common sense. I made my theoretical calculations first, by making the equation between these two. Since acid and base undergo neutralization reaction, so my only by-product was water, which I let evaporate. Here is the picture of my final salt:
(it's perfectly dried and in pallets, I could crush it up, but I used it this way)

I also made ammonium iron(II) sulfate from ferrous sulfate and ammonium chloride, though they don't exactly made ammonium iron II sulfate but I just needed to test for the cations present in it, so it did for me!

Yesterday, I tested concentration of proteins in milk, in order to identify the concentration of milk in another sample. I also took pictures of those as well:

(Note: Because I took the pictures half an hour later, some samples turned from purple to red, that's curious but I've no idea why that happened :tongue:)
I don't know why my blog has so less views as compared to others. Maybe it's too boring, therefore I'm trying to color it up by adding pictures and things...
Original post by NachoPhilosopher
I don't know why my blog has so less views as compared to others. Maybe it's too boring, therefore I'm trying to color it up by adding pictures and things...

It's definitely not boring! Just keep up the regular posts! Good luck with your exams, they look like they're going pretty well! Keep it up :smile:
Original post by Someboady
It's definitely not boring! Just keep up the regular posts! Good luck with your exams, they look like they're going pretty well! Keep it up :smile:

thank you so much!
yes my exams are going awesome!
I just had my Practical Paper today of Biology. It went really really good!! I had just solved that question in past papers and that same kind of question came up!! it was incredible! but really awesome!
:banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2:

S1 COMING UP NEXT!!
LET'S ACE IT!!!!
Okay Okay Okay
S1 done too, went pretty fine! or better to say perfect! except one Permutations and Combinations question!
But, I have no idea what grade I'll be getting!

Next: Chemistry Practical tomorrow on 24th of May, well, let's face it.
I am pretty confident about it too since Biology practical went so well.
Well, well, well, the practical didn't go as planned! Because:
i. it was too long and I ran out of time
ii. I messed up in one question by using sodium carbonate when I was supposed to use some FB4 ( means I didn't read the question thoroughly :/)
iii. I had great trouble using the pipette filler, because it was quite different from the one I was using in my lab, so it took around 15-20 minutes for me to figure it out by experimenting again and again, how that damn pipette filler worked so that meant I ran out of time when I had like 5-mark question still left!

But I'm not really worried at all because:
i.The titration question went pretty good
ii. Practical paper has very little weightage in our final result so let's just hope it doesn't make any difference :biggrin:

Okay I might just be trying to soothe myself but of course, I can HOPE at least xD xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Sooo, just the last two papers and finallllyyyyy, AS will be done!

All I'm doing these days is preparing for Chemistry and Biology Paper 1s...well, nothing much soo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending