The Student Room Group

Nacho's Ultimate Self-Study

Scroll to see replies

Results of May/June Session:
So, quite a lot of time since I updated my blog...actually months but exams were done and there was really nothing to update about. And after exams are done, we are totally not in a mood even to think about exams or study again.

Results day was quite a heck, got up around 6 as usual and then to wait until 10 was quite torturing but of course time had t pass and it did. By 8, i was on the laptop and by 9, I had already signed in to the results site but all in vain for results get announced at very 10:00 and not a second earlier. So at exactly 10:00, I had refreshed and there I was:

Well well well, quite disappointing at first. I didn't expect anything like C but what I got is what I got. The thing is my grades don't mean I didn't work hard or I've some intelligence problem. It was our first experience with total self study in A' Levels and of course, taking that into account, I didn't use any tutors or any institution at all and got BCC which I don't think are as bad because people who attend school all year round even do get even worse. But, there is a lot of room for improvement. I know that. It is with failures that we learn. Through the process of failure, we go ahead. And this was of course, no failure as per me or my parents. And my parents' reaction? well, they were quite appreciative of what I got, but after all the soothing they had for me. We sat down and discussed the flaws that were there in our method. There were quite a number of reasons and the improvements that we will be considering in our next session includes:

>>> There is no need of years and years of past papers. No one is denying the fact that past papers are an essential ingredient for your success in A' Levels BUT, I was oblivious of the fact that past papers just gave me the technique to handle question paper. It didn't give me any skill in my subject. There is a point, in solving papers, after which, your level remains the same, you are no longer improving. Maximum of 5 years past papers are enough and well, if you have still time left, it must be put into improving your skill.

>>> we need more in-depth study. Further readings, internet browsing on a particular topic, videos and lectures; all of these we will be brought into my study with more effort

>>> After I have done a past paper, I shall be noting down what topic I'm weak in, then I will read about that topic first before I solve another paper. There is no use of solving papers if I didn't improve my weaknesses in the previous.Well, this November, I will be appearing for Maths A2 and Physics AS and with the B grade I got in Maths, I'm pulling out all the stops to make it an A.Good Luck to me xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Dude, this is sexy. Good luck!
Original post by NachoPhilosopher
x

Bloody hell, you self-studied your exams and clearly it doesn't work out well everytime. This is A-levels and it's much harder, so you're going to need support at times - but not ALWAYS. You CAN DO IT. Just focus and ask for help on TSR all the time, ask me for help in AS Maths, I'll be doing it myself this year (if you're going to retake).
Original post by Chittesh14
Bloody hell, you self-studied your exams and clearly it doesn't work out well everytime. This is A-levels and it's much harder, so you're going to need support at times - but not ALWAYS. You CAN DO IT. Just focus and ask for help on TSR all the time, ask me for help in AS Maths, I'll be doing it myself this year (if you're going to retake).

woohooo do you think it didn't work out?
well I think it did! xD these aren't like you could say very bad grades. But like I said, there is room for a LOT of improvement.
No i'm not retaking. How hard do you think is converting a B to an A? in my A2 i mean
Original post by NachoPhilosopher
woohooo do you think it didn't work out?
well I think it did! xD these aren't like you could say very bad grades. But like I said, there is room for a LOT of improvement.
No i'm not retaking. How hard do you think is converting a B to an A? in my A2 i mean

No, as I said buddy - they're not bad grades. But, if you were aiming for 3 A*s at A-level, it clearly didn't work out. I'm sure you can convert than B into an A lol, it depends but for Maths it'll be hard lol (maybe easy lol). Remember, you're doing harder modules for A2 so let's see but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'd say just retake AS Maths and do AS and A2 lol in 1 year - A2 means you won't even have to revise AS except the applied module.
Hi,
I know it's too late but what happened to your A2 ?:smile:
Please update!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending