The Student Room Group

Why is the LGBT community so accepting of Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
Atheism isn't a faith. :wink:

yeah it can be. Buddhism for example.
Original post by Nicolas2000
yeah it can be. Buddhism for example.

That's non-theism.
Yeah, it's completely hilarious how all the "SJW groups", such as some LGBT and feminists, defend Islam. Utterly mental.
Original post by QE2
With all due respect, the historical record of Muhammad shows him to be a person due no respect (other than for his ability to establish and maintain a totalitarian dictatorship).
In fact his execution of prisoners, torturing of captives, and condoning of death for apostates, adulterers and homosexuals shows him to be someone worthy of oprobrium.

It is noteworthy that supposedly educated people in the 21st century still believe that he is worthy of any respect at all!

Untrue actually he recapture the city with very little bloodshed. And there was no forced conversion in fact he was very accepting of many faiths. You forget that Muhammad himself was an agnostics well in the beginning. And in the Quran there is no such support for the execution of apostates homosexuals or adulterers. I do believe it is in the torah though. Christians and Jews are said to make it to heaven just the same as muslims and the word homosexual isn't even in the quran. The story of Lot is about rape. Unlike in the bibles where it is clear that homosexuality is a deadly sin.
Original post by jh61

Gay men have a history of racism. I have gay Asian friends who say they've experienced a lot of racism in the gay community, but not as much in the straight community.

Well it would absurd to suggest that racism doesn't exist in the community. I'm not so naive that I would suggest otherwise. Just as there exists straight racists/ homophobes/ sexists, there are certainly lgbt folk who share the same views.

But that is not to say that these people speak for the whole group. Socially conscious people will still campaign for the rights of other minority groups, regardless of the racism of other members.

Original post by The Sociopath
I agree with what Hydeman said; why does that logic not equally apply to Muslims (minority social group -> look after interests of other minorities even if don't necessarily align)?

I think there would be a fair share who do attempt to look after others but they're overshadowed by those with less tolerant views. I have plenty of muslim friends at uni who accept me and don't treat me any different as a result of my orientation, so I don't think it's as uncommon as you'd think.

Original post by djh2208
The point is that they will never say anything bad about Islam. Defending individual Muslims from descrimination is admirable, but refusing to point out that parts of Islam promote violence and intolerance is not.

To be fair I think you have a point, it would be the equivalent of campaigning for LGBT rights but leaving out the negative parts, such as the spread of HIV, etc.
Untrue actually he recapture the city with very little bloodshed. And there was no forced conversion in fact he was very accepting of many faiths. You forget that Muhammad himself was an agnostics well in the beginning. And in the Quran there is no such support for the execution of apostates homosexuals or adulterers. I do believe it is in the torah though. Christians and Jews are said to make it to heaven just the same as muslims and the word homosexual isn't even in the quran. The story of Lot is about rape. Unlike in the bibles where it is clear that homosexuality is a deadly sin.

Why do you think the story of Lot is about rape as opposed to homosexuality?
I'm guessing you rely wholly on the Quran and don't use hadiths?
Original post by Hydeman
I just call that bigotry.

Well yes, it is bigotry. I suppose bigotry can take many forms, so the term "Islamophobia" would be used when you want to be a bit more specific about which type of bigotry it is.

There's a limit to that approach too, though. In order for it to be consistent with individual rights, this can only be the case where a religious person doesn't insist on things like genital mutilation of children or that his child should be taught creationism in science lessons (that one's more of a nod to Christian parents in conservative parts of America). That's not a matter of simple disagreement, I don't think -- I actively insist that they be prevented from doing that against their will.

Yes, you're free to do that if you want. I suppose it's not high up on the agenda list of those LGBT people who are supporting Islam in the OP's post though, who are just looking for a live and let live approach.
Original post by BoredHumxnity
With all due respect, it is universally respectful to say PBUH after the Prohpet's name. You use a capital letter for it so I don't see the problem. Even my old atheist RS teacher said it after his name...

With all due respect, expecting everyone to abide by the rules of your religion is absurd. Would you refer to Jesus Christ as 'the risen lord and saviour, the son of God, Jesus Christ'? It would be respectful to him and to Christians to do so, no? Would you refer to the Hindu gods as e.g. Lord Vishnu and Lord Ganesh? Are you universally respectful to everyone else's religion? I bet you wouldn't and aren't, but you still expect everyone to show respect to your prophet by using those silly letters after his name? I don't think so.

With all due respect, I don't respect Muhammad at all, so no, I certainly won't be using PBUH after his name. With all due respect, anyone who asks people on an internet forum to follow the conventions of their religion runs the risk of coming across as rude, arrogant and supremacist.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Hatred directed toward moderate Muslims can't be justified. Many of them do think homosexual acts are sinful, and you can think that's an abhorrent belief, but hating them all is just silly. The Muslims I know are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

This is the second irrational rage-post of yours I've seen. Are you having a bad week, mate?

Off topic, but I almost read "nicest" as "incest". :tongue:

Original post by endgametheory
Careful now, inb4 plantagenet crown

lol

Original post by Suman2209
This is a small minded point to state. As you should know all religions believe homosexuality is wrong, therefore you can't target just Muslims or Islam in general. As Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs and many others believe in this too.

Also, even some atheists believe that homosexuality is wrong. In addition to this, there's millions of Muslims within the UK and you're only stating the opinions of 500. I, myself am I Muslim. As any other religion, we believe that homosexuality isn't in nature's favour. However, our religion states that this is also to prevent STDs as the risk is increased when gays commit to intimate contact.

I'm a Muslim, and I don't believe homosexuality is right in the eyes of my religion and any other religion. However, if I saw someone who was gay I wouldn't say anything to them because it's their life and they can do what they like. I have 2 gay best friends who I'm extremely close to and we're all understanding of eachothers' values. Not once have either of us questionned eachothers' beliefs. So please do not try and pin point all Muslims, we're already being portrayed as bad people in the media when in all honesty all we want is peace and people to stop making it out as if we're evil people.

I hope you have a good day.

Kind Regards,
A muslim :smile:

Sorry to highlight, but there is some seriously flawed logic in this post. I'm on my phone, so I won't go into them, but have a think over what you have said, please.

Original post by endgametheory
Original post by BoredHumxnity
And thats supposed to mean ..?
Oh you're new here aren't you

lol :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Why do you think the story of Lot is about rape as opposed to homosexuality?
I'm guessing you rely wholly on the Quran and don't use hadiths?

no the hadith is not consistent with the quran and it's heresay. The quran specifically says not to listen to any scripture after it. If I listened to the hadith I might as well be Baha'i.

And the story of lot with the angels was talking obviously about rape not consensual gay sex... It's as obvious as anyone can see. Of course those who hate homosexuals will equate that to homosexuality. But some homophobic people think pedophiles and homosexuals are the same thing. So it's no surprise homosexuality is sometimes considered a sin. It never actually says either way.
Reply 130
Original post by ivybridge
I can only speak for myself but before I do I just want to say that asking for 'islamaphobia' to stop is not supporting Islam - its asking for hatred on the grounds of belief to stop.

From where I'm standing, you can't put everyone in the same basket. My best friend is muslim and he and his family have accepted me and support me a lot but they are devout. People don't deserve to be hated for having a religious faith and we get what its like to be persecuted for... nothing, really.

Also, 500 people is nothing. And not agreeing with gay sex doesn't really mean they hate gay people.

PRSOM ☺️
no the hadith is not consistent with the quran and it's heresay.

I agree. Unfortunately, most scholars of Islam don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending