The Student Room Group

Balancing VS schemes and TC final interviews

Hey, looking for some advice because I'm not entirely clued up regarding time scales and balancing prospective firms.

I'm fortunate enough to have received three VS offers with firms I really wanted (hooray!) and have two upcoming final interviews for TC's with other incredible firms. I'm yet to hear back from a few more applications.

The next few months look something like this:

1. Early March: final TC interview with large London firm
2. Mid-march: spring VS with mid-sized London firm
3. Late March: final TC interview with MC firm (1st choice)
4. Early April: spring VS with US firm
5. June: summer VS with US firm (2nd choice)

So in total I will have 5 TC interviews throughout the year, mostly in the next two months. How do I work out the timing if I get a TC offer with any of these firms? (obviously a massive if!)

Am I right in thinking that usually I have 30 days from receiving an offer to accept it? Is it possible to ask my first 3 interviews whether I'm able to complete my 2nd spring VS before making a decision, or is this frowned upon? And if I say yes to any of my spring interviews, do I have to tell my summer VS (my 2nd choice!) that I'm unable to attend at all.

I'm not confident as to the etiquette and how to manage my favourite firms (#3 and 5) against the others. I don't want to say yes to the first offer that comes along, neither do I want to be left with nothing.

Any advice is wholeheartedly appreciated!
Original post by lawhb
Hey, looking for some advice because I'm not entirely clued up regarding time scales and balancing prospective firms.

I'm fortunate enough to have received three VS offers with firms I really wanted (hooray!) and have two upcoming final interviews for TC's with other incredible firms. I'm yet to hear back from a few more applications.

The next few months look something like this:

1. Early March: final TC interview with large London firm
2. Mid-march: spring VS with mid-sized London firm
3. Late March: final TC interview with MC firm (1st choice)
4. Early April: spring VS with US firm
5. June: summer VS with US firm (2nd choice)

So in total I will have 5 TC interviews throughout the year, mostly in the next two months. How do I work out the timing if I get a TC offer with any of these firms? (obviously a massive if!)

Am I right in thinking that usually I have 30 days from receiving an offer to accept it? Is it possible to ask my first 3 interviews whether I'm able to complete my 2nd spring VS before making a decision, or is this frowned upon? And if I say yes to any of my spring interviews, do I have to tell my summer VS (my 2nd choice!) that I'm unable to attend at all.

I'm not confident as to the etiquette and how to manage my favourite firms (#3 and 5) against the others. I don't want to say yes to the first offer that comes along, neither do I want to be left with nothing.

Any advice is wholeheartedly appreciated!

Firstly congrats on your success. It is very admirable.

Do any of your dates clash at all or is it just that they are all quite close together ?

I would just take it as it comes. You have the VS in the bag and just make sure you go and enjoy them and figure out what makes you tick.

the MC firm might be your favourite right now but you may feel differently after doing VS.

It migh seem overwhelming now but just focus on one thing at a time and make sure you don't worry too much about all of them. It will be satisfying once you start to tick them off.

Would you mind specifying the firms? Can give more specific advice if you do.
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
You a final year student or graduate?

If so, you have 28 days rather than 30.

If you are a penultimate year graduate you have until September to make a decision.

If the previous, the best way is to ask for an extension as you have suggested (until your second vac scheme is over). Most firms should be reasonable enough to allow that. If they don't allow the extension, then you have a decision to make on how to proceed from there.

You'd have to check any employment contracts about the specifics if you accept one offer before your vac scheme. Either firm could have a clause preventing you working for another firm or that you can't complete the scheme of you have accepted a TC elsewhere. A lot of firms won't have that though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for responding, I'm a graduate so 28 days would be applicable in this case. To be clear, at what point would I ask for an extension if appropriate - at interview stage or at offer stage?
Original post by lawhb
Thanks for responding, I'm a graduate so 28 days would be applicable in this case. To be clear, at what point would I ask for an extension if appropriate - at interview stage or at offer stage?

Offer stage I would. Considering how competitive all your firms are, any hint of not being keen for them could be the difference.

However you've clearly got good experience and academic credentials so the firm's are likely to be fighting over you!
I just wanted to say congratulations on your achievement. You are obviously just the ticket and I feel sure you will do very well. 5 TC offers? 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending