The Student Room Group

TC or VS - non law graduate

Apply for TC or VS?

I'm a recent humanities graduate with a high 2.1 & 1st class dissertation from a Russell group uni. I've realised that I would like to become a solicitor (at the end of second year). I'm currently working in legal research. I'm considering the conversion but wonder if it is better to get a firm to fund it. So that being said any advice as to apply straight for a TC or VS (considering no direct legal work experience)? Any advice would be much appreciated
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MB24!
Apply for TC or VS?

I'm a recent humanities graduate with a high 2.1 & 1st class dissertation from a Russell group uni. I've realised that I would like to become a solicitor (at the end of second year). I'm currently working in legal research. I'm considering the conversion but wonder if it is better to get a firm to fund it. So that being said any advice as to apply straight for a TC or VS (considering no direct legal work experience)? Any advice would be much appreciated

Hey!

With no legal work experience, I would recommend applying for vac schemes because these schemes are designed for you to get legal experience. Since you have experience in legal research, I guess you could also try to apply for a TC but it is safer to go for vac schemes since a lot of firms also recruit their trainees from vac schemes. If you want to apply for vac schemes, I would try to attend as many law firm events and open days as possible so that you have an idea of what the firm's culture is like and what type of work they do. I also know that there is this course offered by Commercial Law Academy on "law firm profiles and research", which has profiles of 90+ law firms including their unique selling points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending