The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Credit transfer, Mech Eng to Maths?

I've recently withdrawn from my 3rd year of a mechanical engineering degree at a brick uni, and I would like to carry on studying at the OU, however I don't know if credit transfer is applicable from mech eng to maths at the OU? It was a maths intensive course I've been doing but I don't know if you can only transfer from the same courses.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Why did you decide to withdraw?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Adeel Ali
Why did you decide to withdraw?

I'd been unhappy with the uni & course for most of the time and I tried to stick it out longer than I should have. Do you know anything about the credits thing?
Original post by Michaelob
I'd been unhappy with the uni & course for most of the time and I tried to stick it out longer than I should have. Do you know anything about the credits thing?

Nope sorry. Good Luck. I would have just stuck it out for another year, and done a masters in something more math related?
Reply 4
Original post by Adeel Ali
Nope sorry. Good Luck. I would have just stuck it out for another year, and done a masters in something more math related?

No probs. Yeah I agree 100%, I was so miserable though I literally couldn't go on, so..
Reply 5
hi I know someone who transferred credit from a biomedical science degree at a brick uni to a psychology degree at open uni. i would think its a similar situation with you.
Reply 6
Original post by hn123
hi I know someone who transferred credit from a biomedical science degree at a brick uni to a psychology degree at open uni. i would think its a similar situation with you.

Sounds promising, thanks :smile:
Original post by Michaelob
I've recently withdrawn from my 3rd year of a mechanical engineering degree at a brick uni, and I would like to carry on studying at the OU, however I don't know if credit transfer is applicable from mech eng to maths at the OU? It was a maths intensive course I've been doing but I don't know if you can only transfer from the same courses.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I transferred a brick uni diploma in and what I would say is:

You can transfer from different courses but you may not get the full amount of credits (max is 240 as need final 120 at level for grading the degree). You'll be using modules from a diploma effectively which is 240 credits. If you transfer to an Open (they always compare this when apply to transfer) you usually get the full 240 but for named degrees if depends on the overlap and difference between modules you have completed and the OU ones named for that degree. They award the transfer in multiples of 30credits regardless of what the brick uni modules where weighted just because otherwise it would leave credit gaps as the OU have finished offering 10 and 20 point modules towards qualifications. So the possible range of credits they can offer is 0,30,60,90,120,150,180,210,240.

To stand the best chance get as much syllabus info for every module you have done from your brick uni so they can compare properly otherwise they tend to assume less knowledge and award fewer transferred credits to be on the safe side.

Also I would name a few of the maths degrees (so not just the straight maths even if not sure) on the transfer application form as they would compare for all of them rather than just one then you find it's not adequate enough for you and have to go through whole process again. Then you might have a better option where more credit is transferred and more options. They compare to Open degree as default too. You could do an Open degree and finish off with level 3 maths modules and list it as Open Degree (Mathematics) but that's down to your choice.

It takes a good few weeks (think they state 6weeks average) so aim to get in the application early as possible before any possible degree/module start dates. Plus any time from your brick university to get stamped/official transcripts & certificates and syllabus info.

http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/help/topping-up-previous-study don't know if can access this without account

but should be able to access http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/

----------Please Rep if was any help----------
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest