The Student Room Group

What do you think was the most important factor in the rise of the Nazis?

Personally, I believe it was backstairs political intrigue. Hitler, had gone through hyperinflation and the great depression, which many argue "put the wind in Hitlers sails" (AJP Taylor), he used the conditions in Germany from 1918-1924 and 1929-1933 to get to his height of support in July 1932. Hitler won more seats in the Reichstag but stillnot a majority. Soon thereafter, there was an upturn in the worldwide economy and support for the Nazis dwindled, had it not been for backstairs political intrigue the door to power which had previously been locked tight to to the "Bohemian corporal" would have remained locked, but Hindenberg and Von Papen (Papen out of anger and jealousy) convinced the president that they had "hired Herr Hitler" and felt that they could control him. Without their intervention, Hitler may have remained in the unwinnable system of the Reichstag and we may never have known his name, unfortunately this is not the case and had they not intervenned Hitler may never have gained power. So while other factors created a "perfect storm" and bolstered Hitlers support in Germany, he couldn't have become chancellor.

What do you think was the most important factor in the rise of the Nazis.
Idiocy
Reply 2
I think there were three important factors in the rise of the Nazi's. Firstly was Germany's defeat and humiliation at the end of the Great War and the Kaiser's abdication. If these events hadn't occurred, the people of Germany wouldn't have been looking for an extremist autocrat to 'make Germany great again' and therefore Hitler's ideals would definitely not have appealed to the masses. Secondly would be Hitler's ability to grasp opportunity. Third is most definitely luck on Hitler's part.
I don't believe there was a most important factor. It was a summation of political moves, circumstance and chance that gave the Nazi's their window, all equally as important.
On a more serious note, I think the Wall Street Crash and the economic crisis played a big part, but it's hard to blame it on one factor.
Reply 5
One of those voices which seemed so pursuasive at the time yet now in hindsight was disturbing.

See also: Boris Johnson.
Reply 6
40% of unemployment.
Threat of the Soviets must have played a big part too.

We were to liberate Europe yet allowed much to be put into the hands of the Soviets who imo are guilty of greater crimes.
Wall Street crash and the Great Depression. People were desperate and led to extremism in a time of desperation as a source of power and stability.
The economic crisis of the 1920s
Economy.

Same for trump voters. Declining real income, decreasing labour participation, largely anti globalisation, white, uneducated. This will only get worse with the rise of China and importance of high level skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending