The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron FAQ (WIP)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Depends on the UAS. Some organise times there and then, some write and organise an interview, some have a freshers weekend, some a freshers week type thing. All varies :smile: I had a quick 3 minute chat with the boss, filled in some paperwork then got invited by latter to attend an interview.
Reply 181
Drewski
I think you're confusing getting into the UAS with getting into the RAF - they aren't the same.

As long as you got to university [bit of a generalisation, but mostly fine] you're ok.

Thankyou :smile: well I'm about as ready as I will ever be now:smile:

My freshers fair is on friday! fingers crossed.
Reply 182
Hey guys,

Does anyone know when YUAS will be coming to Sheffield Hallam? I asked Hallam and they said Sports fair is on Wednesday and Activities is on Thursday. Which category would it fall under? Can't seem to get in contact YUAS at the moment :confused:

Thanks
Rob
Friday the 26th. See you there :wink:
Reply 184
I had my first talk 'interview' with NUAS at the Freshers Fair at Newcastle.

I don't know if it went well but it was worth a shot. I find out if I got selected for the 2nd stage in 2 weeks.
Hi everyone,

I've been interested in joining the YUAS, and all of your information on this thread has been very helpful to say the least!

I went to the freshers fayre, filled out a form and had a great chat with the 2nd in command. Still waiting to find out if I've been invited to the open day, but I'm feeling optimistic.

I just have a few queries about the interview stage of the process... (I know it varies between each UAS)

Am I right in thinking that I need to know:

-Detailed information about myself, family and academic achievements. (DOB, Where I have lived, GCSE's A levels etc)

-Basic knowledge of - the RAF structure (Groups,Wings etc), the main aircraft types (and which squadron's they belong to), Senior Commanders (CAS, ACAS etc), Overseas bases, Future Aircraft and capabilities, NATO.

-Current affairs - (how much is an acceptable level?!)

-Understanding the application process for an Officer (IOT at RAF Cranwell then EFT etc).

-Attitude towards drugs...

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head...

Scimitar_vc, I'm also at Leeds College of Music! Perhaps you might be the best person to answer this question as you have first hand experience of the YUAS... Any help would be much appreciated!
Check your PM
Hi, this might sound like a stupid question, but does the Manchester and Salford UAS still exist? I sent two emails to the addresses on their website but both were sent back, saying that the addresses didn't exist. I haven't been able to find out any other contact details so thought I'd try here!
Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 188
It very much does.

You could try ringing RAF Woodvale direct.

However, if you're trying to join this year, you'll have already missed the boat. Recruitment is done during Freshers' and, along with the interview stage, is now finished!
Reply 189
Just had my formal interview for the NUAS. I think it went ok but I'm not too sure.

Got given a medical form for my GP and should find out next Friday.

Ric
Reply 190
Just had my feedback from there University Air Squadron. Told that I was on the reserve squadron but in the top 3 and I've been told to get my medical forms done as soon as possible and to turn up to a town night.

I'm not actually on the squadron but I have mixed feelings(happy and sad).
Has anyone been in this same postion and made it onto the squadron?

Ric
Reply 191
Probably a good thing you've been told to turn up to town night..... ?
Reply 192
Lady Venom
Probably a good thing you've been told to turn up to town night..... ?

Hmmm You think so?
Reply 193
Well if you were on reserve I thought they'd call you up around Easter camp after the chop people that were seemingly useless. That's how my UAS *used* to operate.
Reply 194
With the recent changes to the UAS system, I think anyone who's not currently involved will be out of the loop. I know I was when I went back to see some guys this past weekend.

Every sqn's establishment has gone up [mine from 55 to 79!] and they are in some cases overrecruiting, knowing that some people will fail the fitness test first time out. Not heard of reserves as such - this could be an alternative to the overrecruitment idea, but certainly better than nothing.

Go to town night, get yourself known.

It's only NUAS, but hey, you never know, you might enjoy it :p:
Reply 195
Drewski
It's only NUAS, but hey, you never know, you might enjoy it :p:

So true. Nuas, who?
Reply 196
Lady Venom
So true. Nuas, who?

Me
Reply 197
rleungz
Me

Did you get on the Sqn then?
Reply 198
No. I am on the reserve squadron.
Reply 199
rleungz
No. I am on the reserve squadron.

So er what does that mean? You go to town night only?

Quick Reply

Latest