The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Uni accommodations

Hey guys so I’m not going to uni for another 2 years however in very interested in looking at them. Does the accommodation really matter for first year, I often find myself trying to look for a nice accommodation not really thinking if it mattered or not: I’ve been looking at Durham, Newcastle and York. Thanks xx
Original post by SuMmEr.MoRgAn
Hey guys so I’m not going to uni for another 2 years however in very interested in looking at them. Does the accommodation really matter for first year, I often find myself trying to look for a nice accommodation not really thinking if it mattered or not: I’ve been looking at Durham, Newcastle and York. Thanks xx

That really depends on you and what you are comfortable with. For me as long as it had a working kitchen, a bed and a desk I was all good I just didn’t want it physically crumbling. We had asbestos, no hot water for 2 months and mice and honestly you just learn to deal and it wasn’t that bad. If you don’t think you could cope with that then definitely go for the nicer places but it’s up to your comfort levels
(edited 7 months ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2

I did this with the eldest and the youngest so they got a feel for the place without having to rush come year 13.
It depends on what your comfort zone is. My two were not really bothered about an ensuite because come second year landlord owned accommodation they had to share anyway. They found the extra money on an ensuite was a waste of money. But some people really want one for privacy so its down to the individual really.
They did draw the line at accommodation which has like swimming pool cubicle type showers though lol.

The eldest went to visit York and she liked Goodricke, Langwith and James and Alcuin accommodations. She went to Lancaster uni and stayed in a Grizedale college townhouse for 1st year and loved it.
The youngest has been in Reading Bridges hall accommodation for the past 4 days and its pretty decent :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ghostlady
I did this with the eldest and the youngest so they got a feel for the place without having to rush come year 13.
It depends on what your comfort zone is. My two were not really bothered about an ensuite because come second year landlord owned accommodation they had to share anyway. They found the extra money on an ensuite was a waste of money. But some people really want one for privacy so its down to the individual really.
They did draw the line at accommodation which has like swimming pool cubicle type showers though lol.

The eldest went to visit York and she liked Goodricke, Langwith and James and Alcuin accommodations. She went to Lancaster uni and stayed in a Grizedale college townhouse for 1st year and loved it.
The youngest has been in Reading Bridges hall accommodation for the past 4 days and its pretty decent :smile:

Thank you so much, I’d probably draw the line there too😂. I’ve also looked at Lancaster and thought it looked really nice. I’m trying to find some in catchment zones of University air squadrons.
Reply 4
Thank you so much, I’d probably draw the line there too😂. I’ve also looked at Lancaster and thought it looked really nice. I’m trying to find some in catchment zones of University air squadrons.

What about Lincoln? Im pretty sure they have a RAF there
Reply 5
Original post by Ghostlady
What about Lincoln? Im pretty sure they have a RAF there

I wasn’t aware of this I will look into it, cheers
Reply 6
Original post by flamingolover
That really depends on you and what you are comfortable with. For me as long as it had a working kitchen, a bed and a desk I was all good I just didn’t want it physically crumbling. We had asbestos, no hot water for 2 months and mice and honestly you just learn to deal and it wasn’t that bad. If you don’t think you could cope with that then definitely go for the nicer places but it’s up to your comfort levels

Yeah I suppose as long as it has the basics that’s the main thing

Hi!

If you have any questions about the accommodation at York let us know - we're happy to help! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by University of York
Hi!

If you have any questions about the accommodation at York let us know - we're happy to help! :smile:

If I wanted to be right at the centre of things (close to the gym/library) a very busy social place which accommodation would you suggest
If I wanted to be right at the centre of things (close to the gym/library) a very busy social place which accommodation would you suggest

Hi!

So Alcuin College is the nearest to the Library but I wouldn't say it's at the centre of everything as the Library and Alcuin are across the road from most of Campus West. James College is nearest the Sports Centre on Campus West. I'd say that the colleges at the heart of Campus West are Vanbrugh and Derwent. Vanbrugh is also pretty close to the Sports Centre. Derwent and Vanbrugh both have student bars and cafes so I'd suggest either of those if you want to be at the centre of everything. But to be honest, everything is fairly close together on Campus West so all of these colleges are within walking distance to all the main areas you'd need to be near as a student.

Hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Original post by University of York
Hi!

So Alcuin College is the nearest to the Library but I wouldn't say it's at the centre of everything as the Library and Alcuin are across the road from most of Campus West. James College is nearest the Sports Centre on Campus West. I'd say that the colleges at the heart of Campus West are Vanbrugh and Derwent. Vanbrugh is also pretty close to the Sports Centre. Derwent and Vanbrugh both have student bars and cafes so I'd suggest either of those if you want to be at the centre of everything. But to be honest, everything is fairly close together on Campus West so all of these colleges are within walking distance to all the main areas you'd need to be near as a student.

Hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:

It does very much thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest