The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron FAQ (WIP)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
"If you are a medic, you get a substantial bursary if successful with your application and you can also apply for a Cadetship: You are given the rank of Plt Off and get pay of around £14k/year paid on a monthly basis. You no longer get UAS pay." "You have to join at the end of your degree or pay back ALL your bursary money (unless it's a medical reason)."

So any medic who gets selected for UAS gets a bursary which they have to pay back at the end if they don't join the RAF? Does joining the RAF Reserve count and whats te minium term you have to serve?

Is it a lot of extra work when you are a Plt Off? or do you still do the same stuff as other students and the same hours per week? The paid tuition fee what if you are taking a tuition fee loan and don't want them to pay as you may be leaving at the end?
Reply 221
Im goin QM if i get 3As for medicine so do you guys no anything sepcific about ULAS? recruit numbers? admission? thank you
athuva - don't go looking at the med bursary as either a given or as easy money. The Armed Forces will select the best candidates for a bursary and you will be held responsible to pay that back if you fail to meet the terms and conditions. They have seen people who aren't committed and want free money before you know. Joining the RAF Reserve wouldn't count either - there isn't an easy option.
Reply 223
athuva
"If you are a medic, you get a substantial bursary if successful with your application and you can also apply for a Cadetship: You are given the rank of Plt Off and get pay of around £14k/year paid on a monthly basis. You no longer get UAS pay." "You have to join at the end of your degree or pay back ALL your bursary money (unless it's a medical reason)."

So any medic who gets selected for UAS gets a bursary which they have to pay back at the end if they don't join the RAF? Does joining the RAF Reserve count and whats te minium term you have to serve?

Is it a lot of extra work when you are a Plt Off? or do you still do the same stuff as other students and the same hours per week? The paid tuition fee what if you are taking a tuition fee loan and don't want them to pay as you may be leaving at the end?

It's pretty much the other way round. If you're a medic who gets selected for a bursary, you'll join the UAS - you'll have to.

If you're a medic who then just joins the UAS like any other student you won't get the bursary - at least, not automatically, you'd have to apply for it like everyone else.

Minimum term is whatever you sign up to: 18 years is the longest, don't know what a short service duration is for a medic offhand.

There won't be [extra work] unless you ask for it, everyone knows a medical degree is hard work. In your later years on the sqn, though, you might well be asked to take a more vocal part in it, all the medics who were on mine were at some point either Senior Student or Deputy.

As for ULAS, from what I remember it's the biggest of the UAS', recruiting something like 60-odd or so every year, but also has the largest number of applicants. Application processes are different per UAS though.
Reply 224
Drewski
There won't be [extra work] unless you ask for it, everyone knows a medical degree is hard work. In your later years on the sqn, though, you might well be asked to take a more vocal part in it, all the medics who were on mine were at some point either Senior Student or Deputy.

So what they pay you 14k to do not much more work than the others do with so much less pay? Sounds too good to be true.
Do you have to be a bursar to apply for Cadetship:Plt Off?
The money is essentially to ensure you will be joining the RAF as a doctor for the minimum time stipulated - which would be a very long time if you didn't want to do that and were stuck as an RAF doctor for several years.
Hi Guys

I don't know if this is a problem, but on my medical history it says I have hayfever - and it's easily cured with medication! Will this affect my application, and a chance of me being considered an unhealthy applicant who might not be medically fit enough to be an officer afterwards, and therefore far less likely to get a position in UAS?!

Sorry for the questions and long discussion!!

Cheers
Alex
Reply 227
hi guys, I am in my first year atm, I wanted to join the UAS when I first came to uni but I was scared if I wasn't fit enough or too skinny, then I met a lot mates, frds who r in the UAS or got sponsorship from RAF so i think it is worth a try rite? my question is wt will we learn or do in UAS if i dun want to be a pilot or learn flying in general? and do we hv to choose a branch b4 going in? and r the branches juz like the real RAF, becoz I want to become an air traffic control officer, sori about the long-winded questions, cheersy
Reply 228
joel_25
hi guys, I am in my first year atm, I wanted to join the UAS when I first came to uni but I was scared with I wasn't fit enough or too skinny, then I met a lot mates, frds who r in the UAS or got sponsorship from RAF so i think it is worth a try rite? my question is wt will we learn or do in UAS if i dun want to be a pilot or learn flying in general? and do we hv to choose a branch b4 going in? and r the branches juz like the real RAF, becoz I want to become an air traffic control officer, sori about the long-winded questions, cheers

That hurt my eyes a little... Word of warning, in this part of TSR, we have a strong dislike to 'txtspk' and it will be made clear to you if you continue!

As for your actual questions:
-yes
-lots, general bumpf about the Amred Forces and RAF, plenty about yourself [cheesy answer, I know], you'll pick up plenty that's flying related, but there's nothing wrong with that. I joined knowing I wasn't able to be a pilot professionally, more to the point, not wanting to be a pilot or even fly that much and still had 3 fantastic years.
-no
-there are no branches at UAS level, you're all studes. Some will fly lots, some won't, simple as.
Reply 229
Drewski
That hurt my eyes a little... Word of warning, in this part of TSR, we have a strong dislike to 'txtspk' and it will be made clear to you if you continue!

As for your actual questions:
-yes
-lots, general bumpf about the Amred Forces and RAF, plenty about yourself [cheesy answer, I know], you'll pick up plenty that's flying related, but there's nothing wrong with that. I joined knowing I wasn't able to be a pilot professionally, more to the point, not wanting to be a pilot or even fly that much and still had 3 fantastic years.
-no
-there are no branches at UAS level, you're all studes. Some will fly lots, some won't, simple as.

o sorry, I apologised for that and thanks for answering so I will start working on my fitness and get back here if i have other questions during the summer holiday. cheers
Reply 230
joel_25
o sorry, I apologised for that and thanks for answering so I will start working on my fitness and get back here if i have other questions during the summer holiday. cheers

I wouldn't even worry about that, to be honest. If you're even remotely active in your normal life then you'll easily reach the UAS standard.

You'd be better off reading what people learn for their AFCO filter interviews - it'd be of more use.
Do you know how much it would cost you to learn how to fly?

A PPL costs a fortune!

If the Air Force agrees to teach you to fly, you're on to a winner.

They gave me a Flying Scholarship (a long time ago) which taught me the basics. I expanded that (parent's help) and got a PPL. I flew for a couple of years, then got a CPL, was made redundant and joined the Air Force.

Flying is the best fun you can have with your clothes on. - Believe me, I've tried.
Manuel de Vol
Do you know how much it would cost you to learn how to fly?

A PPL costs a fortune!

If the Air Force agrees to teach you to fly, you're on to a winner.

They gave me a Flying Scholarship (a long time ago) which taught me the basics. I expanded that (parent's help) and got a PPL. I flew for a couple of years, then got a CPL, was made redundant and joined the Air Force.

Flying is the best fun you can have with your clothes on. - Believe me, I've tried.

So how old were you Manuel de Vol when you joined the Air Force? And which Air Force was that?
Reply 233
Don't feed the trolls.
Reply 234
Has anyone reading this thread been, or is applying, to UBAS? Thanks
Reply 235
How much does CPL cost? If you already have a PPL.
Reply 236
athuva
How much does CPL cost? If you already have a PPL.

What's this got to do with UASs?
Hey,

I am interested in joining the EMUAS but will be starting my 3rd year in September. I am on a 4 year course (so would still have 2 years left), and will be under 23 when I graduate. Will being in my 3rd year be a problem?

Thanks!
Reply 238
What happens to medics on 5year course if they join ta the start? Do they have to drop out at 3rd year?
Reply 239
athuva
What happens to medics on 5year course if they join ta the start? Do they have to drop out at 3rd year?

Normally, yes, unless you end up with a bursary or cadetship. They're not going to keep you on for 5 years if you show no interest in attempting to join the RAF.

Quick Reply

Latest