The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron FAQ (WIP)

Scroll to see replies

Trains run to Church Fenton where you can get MT to pick you up, or walk the 1 mile or so to the base. There will also be alot of people with cars you can blag lifts from. It's really not an issue.

A
Scimitar_vc
Trains run to Church Fenton where you can get MT to pick you up, or walk the 1 mile or so to the base. There will also be alot of people with cars you can blag lifts from. It's really not an issue.

A

Alright, cheers :smile:

(And sorry to bother you :wink: )
Reply 282
You can claim back your train tickets by filling a claims form.
Reply 283
Short Question - What do most applicants wear to the initial interview at a freshers fair, is a suit overkill?
Reply 284
cornford4
Short Question - What do most applicants wear to the initial interview at a freshers fair, is a suit overkill?

Casual clothing, it's freshers week, you wear what you'd usually wear. You're just going in for a chat and to see how you get along with people. Save the suit for the formal interview the next week [if you get there].
Reply 285
Drewski
Casual clothing, it's freshers week, you wear what you'd usually wear. You're just going in for a chat and to see how you get along with people. Save the suit for the formal interview the next week [if you get there].

Ok cheers Drewski.
I want to join ULAS (provided I get into my university of choice :p:).
I have OCD which prevents me ever joining the forces, however I emailed them to ask if it would stop me joining the UAS and they said I needed to pass DVLA2 standards to fly (which I think I do.)

How prohibitive will this be in my application? Obviously there's 'no obligation' to join after being in the UAS, but it surely is still a bit of recruitment.

Do I have to mention it to them? I applied for a scholarship 2 years ago but didn't know I had it then so they don't know about it.
jennikay
I want to join ULAS (provided I get into my university of choice ).
I have OCD which prevents me ever joining the forces, however I emailed them to ask if it would stop me joining the UAS and they said I needed to pass DVLA2 standards to fly (which I think I do.)

How prohibitive will this be in my application? Obviously there's 'no obligation' to join after being in the UAS, but it surely is still a bit of recruitment.

Do I have to mention it to them? I applied for a scholarship 2 years ago but didn't know I had it then so they don't know about it.

It will put you behind those candidates that seem to be strong commissioning prospects, but there will still be places after that. The UAS will look for people who will add to the UAS experience, who will join in and utilise all its opportunities to the full. The original aim of the UAS system was not to recruit, but to give future leaders of industry, commerce etc a positive view of the RAF to take into their future careers. If you look like someone who is going to do that, then you stand a good chance.

You have to mention it to them if they ask.
Hi there..I'm just wanting to get some advice/information about the UAS selection procedure.
I'm wanting to join Liverpool UAS, but unfortunately didn't secure my place at John Moores uni, but was backed up to study at Edge Hill, which is just outside Liverpool.
I know that LUAS take applicants from Liverpool/Lancaster and john moores university's...Though is there anyway around to me still applying this year at freshers (my accomodation is in central liverpool), or gaining advice.
Because i plan to succeed a good result in my first year at Edge Hill and hopefully transfer to either Liverpool or John Moores, which my progamme tutor said is a certain possible oppertunity, and students DO transfer for many reasons, which will make me elligible to apply to LUAS in my second year of study for my BSc.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the leniancy of this, i'm 19 now and will be 20 by my second year.

Will the UAS still see me as a selective candidate.
I've obviously gone through the whole of ATC/flying scholarship, Gold DofE schemes and NEED, not want a career in the Royal Air Force.

It's just unfortunate i couldnt secure my place this year at John Moores.

Thanks
J
Reply 289
Jonathan McAlinden
Hi there..I'm just wanting to get some advice/information about the UAS selection procedure.
I'm wanting to join Liverpool UAS, but unfortunately didn't secure my place at John Moores uni, but was backed up to study at Edge Hill, which is just outside Liverpool.
I know that LUAS take applicants from Liverpool/Lancaster and john moores university's...Though is there anyway around to me still applying this year at freshers (my accomodation is in central liverpool), or gaining advice.
Because i plan to succeed a good result in my first year at Edge Hill and hopefully transfer to either Liverpool or John Moores, which my progamme tutor said is a certain possible oppertunity, and students DO transfer for many reasons, which will make me elligible to apply to LUAS in my second year of study for my BSc.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the leniancy of this, i'm 19 now and will be 20 by my second year.

Will the UAS still see me as a selective candidate.
I've obviously gone through the whole of ATC/flying scholarship, Gold DofE schemes and NEED, not want a career in the Royal Air Force.

It's just unfortunate i couldnt secure my place this year at John Moores.

Thanks
J

You can still apply for LUAS. You'll just have to work harder.

I know people from Lancaster and Chester unis who joined LUAS without too many problems, but they had to go a little out of their way.

LUAS won't be actively recruiting at Edge Hill, but as it's minutes away from Woodvale and you're going to be living in the city centre, you will certainly be handy and able to get to the sqn easily enough.

What you will need to do is actively go out and seek the recruiting stands. Whether that means going into LJMU or LU itself and finding a recruitment stand I'm not sure, I don't know exactly what system LUAS use for recruitment - plus it changes every year. Your best bet will be going onto facebook and finding the biggest, most active LUAS group you can and asking on there. Once in touch with someone on the sqn, they can steer you right and get you on your way to applying. Whether or not you get in... well, that's up to you.

One thing though... "NEED a career in the RAF"?? Might need to tone that down a bit. Comes across as a bit overkeen to me.
lol i did over emphasise that abit, i was just shortly expressing my complete ambition to join the Royal Air Force. It's one of the only priorities of me wanting to go to University. I considered applying as a direct entrant to OASC, but some of my former colleagues went to uni, did the UAS experience and told me it's a ride not to miss, plus brings out your social ad-hoc outgoing experience, and alot of my friends are on there way to liverpool this year.
Though the armed-forces in terms of the combat ready flying profile, camaderie and national duty of the forces is only what i want to accept.

So the UAS is what i really want to achieve. I've got a few friends who have just left LUAS onto IOT, and i've regulary been on the squadron at LUAS, during my AEF experiences and gliding Schol.
Reply 291
Jonathan McAlinden
lol i did over emphasise that abit, i was just shortly expressing my complete ambition to join the Royal Air Force. It's one of the only priorities of me wanting to go to University. I considered applying as a direct entrant to OASC, but some of my former colleagues went to uni, did the UAS experience and told me it's a ride not to miss, plus brings out your social ad-hoc outgoing experience, and alot of my friends are on there way to liverpool this year.
Though the armed-forces in terms of the combat ready flying profile, camaderie and national duty of the forces is only what i want to accept.

So the UAS is what i really want to achieve. I've got a few friends who have just left LUAS onto IOT, and i've regulary been on the squadron at LUAS, during my AEF experiences and gliding Schol.

You're going to university just so you can join the UAS?

Can I be the first to call you a numpty? Thanks.

If university isn't your first priority then you won't last long - there's a reason why University is the first word in the name of the thing.

I too know a great many people from LUAS - I'm starting IOT with a couple in a little over a week and while yes, they do enjoy going out, they also all take their degrees seriously. Flunking a degree because you spent all your time boozing will not endear yourself to the boarding officers at OASC.
Reply 292
Drewski
You're going to university just so you can join the UAS?

Can I be the first to call you a numpty? Thanks.

If university isn't your first priority then you won't last long - there's a reason why University is the first word in the name of the thing.

I too know a great many people from LUAS - I'm starting IOT with a couple in a little over a week and while yes, they do enjoy going out, they also all take their degrees seriously. Flunking a degree because you spent all your time boozing will not endear yourself to the boarding officers at OASC.

I think he probably overemphasised that wrongly... I went to uni to join the UAS, I hated academics and actually did well in my degree and on the UAS. I wouldn't say I went to uni and then decided to join the UAS - uni most definitely came second to the UAS but it doesn't mean I went along to flunk uni.....
Reply 293
Fair enough, yeah, I guess I could've read more into it than he meant.

I am still of the thought though - and always have been, in fairness - that you go to university to get you a degree to be of use for later life. £20,000+ worth of debt is a lot to take on so you can join a club that in itself doesn't guarantee you anything.
I appreciate that that mindset is a bit out of date, though.
Reply 294
im looking to join from the uni of sheffield.
just like to show my apprecitation for the help on this thread ive read most of it and will read the rest later.

the one question i havent had answered is, does it harm your application if you giggle like a schoolgirl at the word cockpit?:ninja:
Reply 295
im looking to join from the uni of sheffield.
just like to show my apprecitation for the help on this thread ive read most of it and will read the rest later.

the one question i havent had answered is, does it harm your application if you giggle like a schoolgirl at the word cockpit?:ninja:

You are officer material mate! The Air Squadron defo going to let you in :wink:
Reply 296
rleungz
You are officer material mate! The Air Squadron defo going to let you in :wink:

i'll make sure i give it a mention at the interview then:biggrin:
I think Drewski there misconcepted my whole intention of why i took the thought to come onto the forum and retrieve some impartial advice. Should i call you a 'numpty' for miss-judging a sense of character? Chat to me in person and i'm sure me and you would get along!..with anything socially related or even the RAF. Working hard in itself is.. life, and just so i don't look like a numpty to somebody over the internet, I seek challenges and work hard to achieve harder. Likewise with me not securing a place to the uni i wanted to study at. I wouldn't visualise wanting to join the UAS over a degree. That doesn't make sense and sounds confusing..sorry if i confused you with my overemphasis there. I've agreed with 'Venom' there completely to summarise my point...I have 3-lectures a week, and always wanting a career in the Royal Air Force..holding my own with anybody elses ambition. To those who don't make it. I've seen it. Everybody knows nothings guaranteed in life. I don't see the problem in finding UAS more interesting than a bachelor of science. As a person i'm very actice and always need to be doing something, and UAS wherever over the country has it. It opens the envelope for me to experience and develop where i want to be in 4 years time. After i've got a first :P..but no seriously joking aside. I just wanted to know if my regional UAS would accept applicants not studying at the advertised uni's.
I'm wanting to join LUAS as i've stated, and they only usually 'recruit' and advertise at Liverpools freshers. I'm studying at Edge-Hill in Ormskirk just outside Liverpool but living dead centre in the city on Lime-Street and most likely attending Liverpools Freshers weekenders, and hopefully the fair where LUAS recruit.
I did find out though that LUAS have taken and selected studes from unis such as Chester. So i think i may be in with a chance. I've tried LUAS's facebook group and members there still arn't 100% sure. So i'm either going to haft to call Woodvale myself or just find out on the 20th of Sept at the stand.
Reply 298
Jonathan McAlinden
I think Drewski there misconcepted my whole intention of why i took the thought to come onto the forum and retrieve some impartial advice. Should i call you a 'numpty' for miss-judging a sense of character? Chat to me in person and i'm sure me and you would get along!..with anything socially related or even the RAF. Working hard in itself is.. life, and just so i don't look like a numpty to somebody over the internet, I seek challenges and work hard to achieve harder. Likewise with me not securing a place to the uni i wanted to study at. I wouldn't visualise wanting to join the UAS over a degree. That doesn't make sense and sounds confusing..sorry if i confused you with my overemphasis there. I've agreed with 'Venom' there completely to summarise my point...I have 3-lectures a week, and always wanting a career in the Royal Air Force..holding my own with anybody elses ambition. To those who don't make it. I've seen it. Everybody knows nothings guaranteed in life. I don't see the problem in finding UAS more interesting than a bachelor of science. As a person i'm very actice and always need to be doing something, and UAS wherever over the country has it. It opens the envelope for me to experience and develop where i want to be in 4 years time. After i've got a first :P..but no seriously joking aside. I just wanted to know if my regional UAS would accept applicants not studying at the advertised uni's.
I'm wanting to join LUAS as i've stated, and they only usually 'recruit' and advertise at Liverpools freshers. I'm studying at Edge-Hill in Ormskirk just outside Liverpool but living dead centre in the city on Lime-Street and most likely attending Liverpools Freshers weekenders, and hopefully the fair where LUAS recruit.
I did find out though that LUAS have taken and selected studes from unis such as Chester. So i think i may be in with a chance. I've tried LUAS's facebook group and members there still arn't 100% sure. So i'm either going to haft to call Woodvale myself or just find out on the 20th of Sept at the stand.

3 lectures a week, sounds a bit like my degree.... I had zilcho lectures in the last 2 terms of my third year, oh the joys of 100% cwk modules!! Give them a call, find out when they're going to be at Liverpool etc. and what time and whereabouts. No harm and it doesn't waste your time. We used to get people from the Polys wonder over to the main stream unis for recruiting. A lot would ring up to get specifics as to make it easier for all involved! Good luck.

Oh and take 2x passport pics, if the form hasn't changed they usually like a couple so they know what you look like later on in the week, and don't accept the small form - you're after an A4 one to fill in about yourself, hence why calling is a good idea - they may post you the paperwork and then you go along for a chat. Oh and change your name on here unless your real name ISN'T your username.
Reply 299
Anyone from ugsas or posses such knowledge of the people there? Are they banter or misplaced in the Uas :P

Quick Reply

Latest