The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron FAQ (WIP)

Scroll to see replies

*NuckingFuts*

I'm not the best person to shed light on this, but are you sure the Navy are so lax on the asthma situation? It seems to me that 10 months is way too short a time for the Navy to consider asthma not to be a problem. I'm not trying to p1ss on your parade, but you might want to look into it!

Sorry I think youve mis-understood! Once university is over Ill be clear from asthma for 4 years which is when Ill apply for pilot, and I am pretty sure as long as your clear for this period your clear to go onto pilot in the navy. The local AFCO has backed this up, and so does the website. The RAF are much more stringent on this side of things however.

I think Ill probably just say "I would like to fly in the military" and not specify a branch, and if they want more detail Ill give them it. I dont think lying is the best option...

Main reason for UAS? Flying! I do think in the long term the UAS would be much more beneficial for future career prospects.
Reply 361
While i was in cadets there was a story going around, there was a girl with a 'condition'. Doctors said that if your 'condition' doesn't show in period of 4 years you are fine to fly. So here is the first time she went flying, she had a seizure mid-air, pilot though that she have died so he had to open canopy mid-air and make an emergency landing...

She was fine after but never flew again.
Reply 362
Just been given a provisional place on the UAS!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ASDKJHASKDJHASDHAKDJHKDHDS

FINALLY!
Congratulations, I know a lot of work went into that :smile:
Reply 364
threeportdrift
Congratulations, I know a lot of work went into that :smile:

Thanks dude. Probably going to spend half my life there. Bursary application time me thinks....might leave it a few months haha.
Reply 365
Wait on the bursary at least a year - give the staff chance to get to know you as they're required to write a report for OASC.

Of course, letting them get to know you might not be that good an idea :wink:
Reply 366
Q_M
Just been given a provisional place on the UAS!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ASDKJHASKDJHASDHAKDJHKDHDS

FINALLY!

Did you get a letter in the post or an e-mail?

I am sitll waiting but UAS i applied to still doing interviews this week i think.
Am I correct in saying that ULAS are holding interviews from the 16-23 october?
Reply 368
Miza
Did you get a letter in the post or an e-mail?

I am sitll waiting but UAS i applied to still doing interviews this week i think.

I got an e-mail along with everyone else. I have a letter on the way with instructions.

Every UAS does things differently to be fair. Good luck.
Reply 369
Q_M

p.s.

FINALLY!

Nice.
Any idea what we're supposed to wear for the interview? Will a Jumper/Shirt/Smart jeans thing be ok or is it more of a suit occassion?
Reply 371
If its formal interview its a full suit
Reply 372
onlinebacon
Any idea what we're supposed to wear for the interview? Will a Jumper/Shirt/Smart jeans thing be ok or is it more of a suit occassion?

You will literally be told to "**** off" if you go on a suit. A guy went in jeans and a jumper to my open day and he was given a suit to wear for the rest of the day.
Q_M
You will literally be told to "**** off" if you go on a suit. A guy went in jeans and a jumper to my open day and he was given a suit to wear for the rest of the day.

Suit it is then! Damn my student loan not being through yet
Reply 374
onlinebacon
Suit it is then! Damn my student loan not being through yet

It's worth it.
onlinebacon

If you go wearing a Jumper/Shirt/Smart jeans, you may as well just rock up in a big bag. So yes, as you've probably now gathered, a suit :wink:
Reply 376
*NuckingFuts*
If you go wearing a Jumper/Shirt/Smart jeans, you may as well just rock up in a big bag. So yes, as you've probably now gathered, a suit :wink:

lol
Q_M
It's worth it.

Yeah it's definitely worth it, end up making the money back anyways. Can find suits in Burton for like £80 so not as expensive as I thought it'd be.
Reply 378
Quick q: does anyone know what day London University UAS will be meeting this year? I have my interview on Wednesday, and have totally forgotten.

(I know the website says Thursday, but I have a feeling it's been changed).
Reply 379
Captain Biggles
Belated congratulamalations to you, fine sir! :cool: I should be finding out tomorrow or Friday what my fate is. If it all goes to pot I'll probably re-apply next year but hopefully it won't come down to that.

Many, many congratulations to you anyway! :biggrin:

Thanks and good luck to you Biggles!

Quick Reply

Latest