The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron FAQ (WIP)

Scroll to see replies

What is the wage?
Original post by DeanK22
What is the wage?

of? and if thats all your thinking about your not going to have much chance getting in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DeanK22
You're such an ignorant swine, you don't know me yet have the audacity to claim I am considering the club merely as a source of income.

I'd like to introduce you to the real world were I need to buy food and pay rent so I can have a place to live and survive.

Prick.

And I would like to introduce you to the real world where you should of already planned for that before going to uni. As for ignorance how about you look at the first page of this thread.

If you went to a job interview and asked how much you would get paid as a first question would it be wrong for them to assume your only there for the money?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 585
Back to your corners, ladies...

There is no 'wage'. You get paid for the amount you do. Do a lot, you'll get more, do less, you'll get less. Was roughly £30/day a couple of years back, won't have gone up massively since then. Your pay is capped at just over £1000/yr, so you won't be getting any more than that.
Reply 586
Hey I posted a while back looking for info on UAS. I emailed the YUAS to register interest and ask some questions (seemed a bit early to be doing that as I don't go to uni till September but oh well) anyway they never replied... Is it worth going into my nearest RAF recruitment centre to have a chat and get some information? I think I might want to join the RAF as a medical officer but because Iv never attended air cadets or anything my knowledge of the RAF isn't so great and what with how competitive entrance into a UAS is I want to be as clued up as possible :smile: any help would be appreciated.
Dean, if you're still watching this thread....do you know who I am?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DeanK22
You served in the army? I think I met you in a fundraiser for helping the hereos in Bournemouth last year, there was a dude who said he had tsr so ...

if not, I humbly apologize

No no, wrong I'm afraid, much closer to home in fact.

You Facebooked me the other day asking about volunteering in the community and we ended up on Chat.

I never knew you were interested in the UAS or indeed the military. Dunno if you know but I went through RAF bursary selection last year and fully intend to join UAS in September (I deferred my year...if you didn't know that either).
Reply 590
Original post by Medpotter
Hey I posted a while back looking for info on UAS. I emailed the YUAS to register interest and ask some questions (seemed a bit early to be doing that as I don't go to uni till September but oh well) anyway they never replied... Is it worth going into my nearest RAF recruitment centre to have a chat and get some information? I think I might want to join the RAF as a medical officer but because Iv never attended air cadets or anything my knowledge of the RAF isn't so great and what with how competitive entrance into a UAS is I want to be as clued up as possible :smile: any help would be appreciated.

Odds are their website/email address is out of date and it simply didn't get through.

Wouldn't overly bother with an AFCO at this point, just wait unitl you get to uni and you see the stall during Freshers'. Mention that you're a medic and are looking at getting sponsored somewhere down the line Once you're at that point, you can start doing some more research about what's going on.
Reply 591
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
Odds are their website/email address is out of date and it simply didn't get through.

Wouldn't overly bother with an AFCO at this point, just wait unitl you get to uni and you see the stall during Freshers'. Mention that you're a medic and are looking at getting sponsored somewhere down the line Once you're at that point, you can start doing some more research about what's going on.

Original post by DeanK22
You are just a little school boy with no knowledge of how life works so I do not know why you are bothering to lecture me but I'll answer:

I have planned for it. I can't see into the future and I now have a deficiency of funds and have to rent full time; knowing how much money this provides means I will be able to plan my work hours. Secondly, I am asking on an internet site not during an interview. I want you to read that one more time - this is the internet. If it was an opinion held (which it is not) by me, that the RAF is just a waste, that is something I could absolutely not worry about typing - because this isn't an interview it is the internet.

The original post is like five years old and the sites do not reveal pay so it is not much to ask a question so basic to current members ... in all honesty you are the one who needs to worry about getting in son and leave me doing the things currently done by myself - playing sport to high levels and getting good qualifications, a good degree from a top uni, managing my life and income, being paid to work, etc; hope these things are covered in your maths class.

To be fair - turning up asking about how much you are going to be paid does send the wrong impression. But given that this is an internet site I think the replyer did jump down your throat a bit.

I think that it is around thirty five pounds per day, and you get thirty days' pay a year (so from April 1st 2012 to March 31st 2013, for example)

So in total, just over a grand. There is also a training bounty if you do all that you are supposed to do over Summer camp - this varies from around one hundred to around two hundred depending on your academic year.

HOWEVER, if you stay in the Mess before flying or AT, you will rack up something called a 'mess bill' which covers your food and board. This isn't deducted from your pay, you pay by cheque.

So yes, joining the UAS for money is a flawed idea. But you should make a decent amount.

DPT
Reply 593
Original post by DirtyPrettyThing
To be fair - turning up asking about how much you are going to be paid does send the wrong impression. But given that this is an internet site I think the replyer did jump down your throat a bit.

I think that it is around thirty five pounds per day, and you get thirty days' pay a year (so from April 1st 2012 to March 31st 2013, for example)

So in total, just over a grand. There is also a training bounty if you do all that you are supposed to do over Summer camp - this varies from around one hundred to around two hundred depending on your academic year.

HOWEVER, if you stay in the Mess before flying or AT, you will rack up something called a 'mess bill' which covers your food and board. This isn't deducted from your pay, you pay by cheque.

So yes, joining the UAS for money is a flawed idea. But you should make a decent amount.

DPT

For some strange reason its now 35 days per year. We needed a pay rise apparently.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Q_M
For some strange reason its not 35 days per year. We needed a pay rise apparently.

Winner winner, chicken dinner!
Original post by Q_M
For some strange reason its now 35 days per year. We needed a pay rise apparently.

Ah right. I think APOs get even more than the enlisted men, something like 40 days a year or 45 maybe?
Reply 596
Ah right. I think APOs get even more than the enlisted men, something like 40 days a year or 45 maybe?

They get paid more but as far as I'm aware its still on 35 days a year...could be wrong.
Original post by Q_M
They get paid more but as far as I'm aware its still on 35 days a year...could be wrong.

Maybe it is their wage that is higher rather than the number of days they get...

Damn APOs.... :mob::mob:
Reply 598
Maybe it is their wage that is higher rather than the number of days they get...

Damn APOs.... :mob::mob:

The wage is around double from what I remember, not sure on the exact figures.

To be fair our APOs deserve it, don't know about yours!
Original post by Q_M
The wage is around double from what I remember, not sure on the exact figures.

To be fair our APOs deserve it, don't know about yours!

Double!? Allah's beard....

Yeah to be fair mate they've obviously worked hard for it, I'm just messing. :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest