The Student Room Group

University Air Squadron FAQ (WIP)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
In my experience UASs are unlikely to recruit asthmatics (current or former), as they are of little potential long term benefit to the services. Same for hayfever and knee ligament sufferers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What at experience do you have? I'm a member of the UAS and I know the standards, they are the same throughout for everyone. Everyone has to pass the RAFFT.

RE Asthma, Hayfever - my point still stands
Reply 781
Original post by @_joalgo
For the UAS you just need to hold a Drivers License for the medical - in line with having a PPL. You can have had astham, and all that nonsense. Just means that you can't join as a Regular or a Reservist. You would be joining the RAF VR branch.

I researched the actual UAS requirements a while ago, I can confirm the UAS medical is in line with the DVLA (Class 2) pretty much PPL. As such it is not actual RAF medical requirements (I have a bowel condition and am still medically fit to join the UAS but NOT RAF)

Not sure about the UNRU ('Naval Reserve unit') and OTC but the websites confirm you need to be eligible for a DVLA Class 2 for the UAS
Reply 782
What at experience do you have? I'm a member of the UAS and I know the standards, they are the same throughout for everyone. Everyone has to pass the RAFFT.

I don't want to get into an argument with you over this as it is silly.

If you had read my original posts you would understand "where" my information has come from, you would also know that the fitness requirements I have posted are initial entry into the UBAS only and a standard RAFFT would have to be passed at a later stage after being accepted.

To reiterate to you where this "experience" has come from, the fitness test minimum requirements I posted were a straight copy and paste from my invitation to interview, which was then followed up by a curtesy call from myself to the UBAS to confirm my attendance, at which point I questioned the less stringent fitness requirements. They assured me it was correct.

I am sure you did not mean to insinuate that I was pulling this information from my ass, and therefore I won't hold it against you. :smile:
Reply 783

RE Asthma, Hayfever - my point still stands

Far more experience than you.

And while you're technically right that someone can apply with those medical issues, it doesn't mean they're guaranteed to be successful. UAS' get hundreds of applicants and weeding out the ones who aren't as medically fit as others is just one way of conducting the recruitment process.
While the UAS' have the same standards to to run by, they are given latitude in how they apply those standards. Just because someone with hayfever can join doesn't mean they could or should join over someone who does not have hayfever.
(edited 10 years ago)
What at experience do you have? I'm a member of the UAS and I know the standards, they are the same throughout for everyone. Everyone has to pass the RAFFT

Student, holding officer, permanent staff. I've only been on four Sqns though.

As Lauren states, what a UAS chooses as a criteria for entry, and what UAS AIs require personnel to pass by the end of the "induction period" (around easter time in first year on sqn) are two different things. Having a pass mark slightly below RAFFT standards as a selection criteria sounds like a superb idea from UBAS. I know of sqns selecting using RAFFT, and I bet they lose capable candidates who fail it by quite small margins. I know of other sqns that don't fitness test until post attestation, and then have the baggage of trying to get them through it when they fail it during the induction period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 785
Do you have to have a full driving license in order to join? As I haven't passed my test yet, and probably won't soon as I've stopped lessons while at uni.
Reply 786
Original post by EllieN95
Do you have to have a full driving license in order to join? As I haven't passed my test yet, and probably won't soon as I've stopped lessons while at uni.

No.

When people have mentioned DVLA they're talking in a roundabout way of the medical standards required.
In my experience UASs are unlikely to recruit asthmatics (current or former), as they are of little potential long term benefit to the services. Same for hayfever and knee ligament sufferers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

for me, it was no symptoms of asthma in the past 4 years. I made them aware of the fact that I had asthma as a child at any point throughout the process where it was relevant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ich Dien
for me, it was no symptoms of asthma in the past 4 years. I made them aware of the fact that I had asthma as a child at any point throughout the process where it was relevant.

It may depend on the squadron in question. If they see themselves as recruiting X potential pilots, then they may discount asthmatics (current or former) entirely. Some may be a little more "modern" and consider it on a case by case basis.:smile:

With the number of applicants for each squadron they can be very selective, when you might only be taking 10% of everyone you see at fresher's fairs.
I got on this year! Couldnt be more pleased. Especially after coming on here last year and drewski consoling me about how its due to too few places! Cheers man! Anyone else on EMUAS?
Original post by NotSnoopLion
I got on this year! Couldnt be more pleased. Especially after coming on here last year and drewski consoling me about how its due to too few places! Cheers man! Anyone else on EMUAS?

Ah EMUAS, the memories. When I was on ULAS we nicked half your sign and half your crew room at the rugby 7s. Hope your fellow students have more of a sense of humour than they used to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 791
Original post by teasin_tina
Ah EMUAS, the memories. When I was on ULAS we nicked half your sign and half your crew room at the rugby 7s. Hope your fellow students have more of a sense of humour than they used to!

The EMUs have never had a sense of humour.

That's why everybody hates/d them :wink:
Original post by teasin_tina

Posted from TSR Mobile

The crew room crimes were understandable (as was the "kidnapping") some of the other things not so - particularly with a shared crewroom!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
The EMUs have never had a sense of humour.

That's why everybody hates/d them :wink:

I thought it was due to them winning the important stuff. I have to admit, it's a very successful Sqn in its output into the RAF.:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good for you. They aren't joking when they say come back again next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795
I thought it was due to them winning the important stuff. I have to admit, it's a very successful Sqn in its output into the RAF.:biggrin:

It's all good fun. A lot of good guys on my IOT were Emus.

But, at the same time, during my time they didn't win all that much... :tongue:
Hello there, I wonder if I could draw on any medical wisdom here? I've planning to either do Aeronautical Eng. at Loughborough or Aviation Eng. at Brunel this September and am interested in joining the UAS. However, I am slightly shortsighted and astigmatic, enough to wear glasses, and have mild asthma which is controlled with low doses of preventer inhaler.

I know I'm capable of passing a EASA/CAA Class 1 medical to fly civilian, but will either of these conditions present a problem with a UAS medical? I'm aware that asthma is pretty much a no-no for joining the forces proper.

Thanks for your help.
Original post by AlistairH
Hello there, I wonder if I could draw on any medical wisdom here? I've planning to either do Aeronautical Eng. at Loughborough or Aviation Eng. at Brunel this September and am interested in joining the UAS. However, I am slightly shortsighted and astigmatic, enough to wear glasses, and have mild asthma which is controlled with low doses of preventer inhaler.

I know I'm capable of passing a EASA/CAA Class 1 medical to fly civilian, but will either of these conditions present a problem with a UAS medical? I'm aware that asthma is pretty much a no-no for joining the forces proper.

Thanks for your help.

Look on the RAF careers 'am I eligible to join' page (don't have the link handy as on my phone) that lists eye regulations and any medical information that could prohibit entry.

As far as I'm aware (which I think is still the case, willing to be corrected if I am wrong) the same medical restrictions apply to both the UAS and the regulars.

Hope that helps a little, sorry it's vague.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glasses aren't generally an issue on the UAS these days. Asthma probably will be, unless it's been clear for a certain amount of time.

If you really want to know, get on the ULAS and EMUAS websites and send them an email or give them a call.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what questions did they ask you on your first interview? :smile: well done by the way!

Quick Reply

Latest