The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Watch the InsideOut program on BBC1 on iplayer on Jan8th 'Pharmacists under pressure'
Welcome to your working week in the future if you go down the community pharmacy route.
Just DONT DO IT!!
Does anyone know if there's any scope for research in pharmacy, I want to do the MPharm then go on to do a doctorate in a related medical field, i.e Neuropharmacology. Does anyone know what the academic job prospects are like for MPharma students?
Original post by anakisanarchy
Does anyone know if there's any scope for research in pharmacy, I want to do the MPharm then go on to do a doctorate in a related medical field, i.e Neuropharmacology. Does anyone know what the academic job prospects are like for MPharma students?

There is but it’s a very niche market and very competitive to get in. Alternative route would be to do a pharmacology degree then a masters and then if you get an opportunity onto a PHD unless you want to be stuck in a pharmacy working for £19 an hour with an mPharm degree after 5 years of hard work.
Original post by ems1234
There is but it’s a very niche market and very competitive to get in. Alternative route would be to do a pharmacology degree then a masters and then if you get an opportunity onto a PHD unless you want to be stuck in a pharmacy working for £19 an hour with an mPharm degree after 5 years of hard work.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a fully qualified software engineer so would probably do that whilst trying to get onto a Phd programme, but will look into the pharmacology degree route.
Thanks for the reply. I'm a fully qualified software engineer so would probably do that whilst trying to get onto a Phd programme, but will look into the pharmacology degree route.

Surely the area you are in now is better for work ??! Pay rates in pharmacy are going down!!
Original post by crazy.chemist
Surely the area you are in now is better for work ??! Pay rates in pharmacy are going down!!

Yes, the pay rates are good and there's lots of jobs, but I have no passion for it (makes it hard to stay up to date) and its very unfulfilling work, ideally I want to transfer into medicine or study on to Phd in Pharmacology and do academics.
Yes, the pay rates are good and there's lots of jobs, but I have no passion for it (makes it hard to stay up to date) and its very unfulfilling work, ideally I want to transfer into medicine or study on to Phd in Pharmacology and do academics.

Pharmacology PhD would be interesting
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/news/gphc-duncan-rudkin-pharmacy-degree-disillusion

Latest from the head of the GPhC

'stop mis-selling degrees to prevent 'disillusionment''. Also some interesting words in there to suggest the regulator knows that the 'bright' future of 'clinical work' in GP surgeries is very niche.
Original post by truffle_999
Before anyone shoots me down for bumping an almost two-year old thread, I have to say my opinions lie very close to this.
With the closure of community pharmacies (esp Lloyds) it's almost a dying progression. 10/15 years ago, prospects were good as the market wasn't as saturated. I don't know what has happened to the whole idea of 'pharmacists working in GP surgeries' - it's difficult to get into that without having doing pre-reg in hospital/or having had years of hospital experience.
After spending days meticulously searching the NHS site for jobs, I personally haven't seen any advertised for that. In addition, locum rates have gone down and less than 4% will go into industry (and without a PhD etc. it's hard to apply for decent-paid jobs).

Actually to even get into any clinical role is riddiculously hard if you didnt do your pre-reg in hospital. Even if you ask to work as a volunteer techie / volunteer a lot of places arent interested. I have had interviews for CCG and GP practices but was unsuccesful as I had ~ 2 years experience vs 4-5 of a lot of candidates (annoying if you ask for a minimum of 2 years experience but really mean 4-5). I would say try applying for a post-grad diploma or an IP course after being on the register for 2 years. Downside is that both are expenive unless your in hospital or GP practice (really annoying as I have to wait till september to start a distance learning course). Additionally for the IP course, you need to be working in a GP practice or hospital (even volunteering) at least once a week.
I have a friend who did pre-reg in hospital and is studying for the post-grad clinical diploma alongside, but would you say that's vital for people who end up in community or just hospital? Ive been told that it's very difficult to transfer from community into hospital, if you did not originally complete your pre-reg in hospital. I personally don't feel that community is as clinically based.
Wow, I didn't actually know that you had to be working in hospital at least once/week for the IP course :/ It's so difficult in attaining such experience/volunteering.

Also, I read that approx 2% of students will fail to gain any pre-reg offers, and the only option is to take a gap year after you graduate and then apply again in the next cycle. I'm extremely fearful, that I'll end up with no offers.

Of course it isn't vital for people who end up in community to do a post-graduate clinical diploma!!!!!

The pre-reg system is antiquated, but 98% is a fantastic rate, it should be 100%. Compare to similar undergraduate jobs like engineering. You don't hear of large numbers of pharmacy grads being taxi drivers or working in catering etc.
I have a friend who did pre-reg in hospital and is now studying for the post-grad clinical diploma, but would you say that's vital for people who end up in community or just hospital? Ive been told that it's very difficult to transfer from community into hospital, if you did not originally complete your pre-reg in hospital. I personally don't feel that community is as clinically based.
Wow, I didn't actually know that you had to be working in hospital at least once/week for the IP course :/ It's so difficult in attaining such experience/volunteering.

Also, I read that approx 2% of students every year will fail to gain any pre-reg offers, and the only option is to take a gap year after you graduate and then apply again in the next cycle. I'm extremely fearful & anxious, that I'll end up with no offers :/

post grad dip not required for community tbh BUT it helps when applying for clinical jobs. dont worry about not getting a pre-reg. If you graduate and take a gap year, you have the opportunity to apply for better places than as an undergrad (also less stress of balancing uni and going interviews). If you take a gap year, you can do stuff like volunteer work and kicking things off the bucket list
I guess so. I know you can do your pre reg within three years of graduating, but then your competing with people who will be in their current fourth year. I think it’s harder to get a preregistration nowadays, what with more pharmacy schools opening certain community branches ending their preregistration programmes, the whole process just scares me. Although independent pharmacies are an option (as a last resort).

To be honest I don’t think they would mind. Independents aren’t a last resort, in my year there are people who have rejected chains for independents. When I started pharmacy in 2014 I was told the exact same thing. Here I am in 2018 and I have not heard of anyone who ended up without a pre-reg place.
Prereg starts in 2-3 months time and there are many places that haven’t filled their positions for 18/19.Remember there are less people who graduate in a cohort than there were in 1st year. Not everyone who starts a pharmacy course will graduate, people switch courses, go into other fields after graduation etc, I wouldn’t worry too much if you haven’t got to that stage yet. I don’t know what you’re in but I’d recommend you focus your energy on gaining experience and developing your skills at this moment in time.
(edited 6 years ago)
BUMP!
To all those thinking of Pharmacy in Clearing, especially those who miss out on Medicine
Read this thread from the beginning!
One month to Clearing! read this first!
Anyone who missed their grades, e.g. for dentistry/medicine usually and had pharmacy down as a reserve, you must read this thread and the other ones about how it is right now in the real world of pharmacy, after Uni and pre-reg.
No-one wants to be negative, but it's important you understand the problems in pharmacy these days, before you commit 5 yrs of your life and 36 thousand pounds to qualify in summer of 2023 and then decide you didn't really want to do pharmacy after all !! And then decide to go straight into Graduate medicine or whatever!!
So please read this thread and have a think before you start phoning Unis in Clearing. Remember, Unis are a business now, they want your 36k. They don't have your best interests at heart. Only you do!!
Good luck everyone.
P.S. I took a year out after A levels after missing my grades, and initially I felt bad, but I realised later it was a good thing, to wait a year and then do pharmacy, rather than jump into a science degree thru Clearing that I realised I didn't want to do a week after results !! and I did want to do pharmacy after all! Take your time in making decisions !
Happy to answer questions or PMs.
Anyone who missed their grades, e.g. for dentistry/medicine usually and had pharmacy down as a reserve, you must read this thread and the other ones about how it is right now in the real world of pharmacy, after Uni and pre-reg.
No-one wants to be negative, but it's important you understand the problems in pharmacy these days, before you commit 5 yrs of your life and 36 thousand pounds to qualify in summer of 2023 and then decide you didn't really want to do pharmacy after all !! And then decide to go straight into Graduate medicine or whatever!!
So please read this thread and have a think before you start phoning Unis in Clearing. Remember, Unis are a business now, they want your 36k. They don't have your best interests at heart. Only you do!!
Good luck everyone.
P.S. I took a year out after A levels after missing my grades, and initially I felt bad, but I realised later it was a good thing, to wait a year and then do pharmacy, rather than jump into a science degree thru Clearing that I realised I didn't want to do a week after results !! and I did want to do pharmacy after all! Take your time in making decisions !

mate. its waaay more than £36k if you include student loan, the real thing is £60k in debt vs spending £36k+ on tuition alone
Original post by quasa
mate. its waaay more than £36k if you include student loan, the real thing is £60k in debt vs spending £36k+ on tuition alone

Yes
I was just talking about the tuition fees. Then, as you correctly state, you have to add on your living costs! Thanks
Hi! Crazy Chemist - I think I am somewhere in this thread. Last year my son got 3 x A* and 1 × A. Medicine was never an option. He was strongly advised to do Biochemistry. However, he has no interest in R & D and he thought Pharmacy would be more commercial. He got into Valencia in the high achievement group, only 30 students and lectures are in English.( At the same time he did a different course in Spanish biology and chemistry as he had to sit exams in those on top of his A levels.) He was also given an award that only 4% of students of Spanish students are awarded. In one of his A levels he was top in Spain!
He sent his CV to one of the top pharmaceutical companies in the world and got a reply by return.
He spent two very positive and comprehensive days there. Superbly organised even to who he would have lunch with. He didn't realise just how many exits there are. As part of his degree he is doing business and economics. He spent a long time with people on the business side. It's a global company and they said his 4 languages were a big benefit. Very interestingly all those in the business/tax departments have a science degree, not a business or finance degree. My son is now interested in becoming a research clinical auditor. At the end of the second day they gave him 2 projects to do. I guess if they weren't interested him they would have said good bye and wished him well for his future. The best thing about his time spent there is that he feels he is doing the right degree. The pharmaceutical company, want him to keep in touch. My son wants to visit another office which they are looking to organise for next summer. The upshot of it is it not all deem and gloom, especially if you can get into one of the top 10 pharma companies. My son, after graduating, is hoping to apply for their 3 year training scheme.
Good luck everyone.
Original post by Antonia Jane
Hi! Crazy Chemist - I think I am somewhere in this thread. Last year my son got 3 x A* and 1 × A. Medicine was never an option. He was strongly advised to do Biochemistry. However, he has no interest in R & D and he thought Pharmacy would be more commercial. He got into Valencia in the high achievement group, only 30 students and lectures are in English.( At the same time he did a different course in Spanish biology and chemistry as he had to sit exams in those on top of his A levels.) He was also given an award that only 4% of students of Spanish students are awarded. In one of his A levels he was top in Spain!
He sent his CV to one of the top pharmaceutical companies in the world and got a reply by return.
He spent two very positive and comprehensive days there. Superbly organised even to who he would have lunch with. He didn't realise just how many exits there are. As part of his degree he is doing business and economics. He spent a long time with people on the business side. It's a global company and they said his 4 languages were a big benefit. Very interestingly all those in the business/tax departments have a science degree, not a business or finance degree. My son is now interested in becoming a research clinical auditor. At the end of the second day they gave him 2 projects to do. I guess if they weren't interested him they would have said good bye and wished him well for his future. The best thing about his time spent there is that he feels he is doing the right degree. The pharmaceutical company, want him to keep in touch. My son wants to visit another office which they are looking to organise for next summer. The upshot of it is it not all deem and gloom, especially if you can get into one of the top 10 pharma companies. My son, after graduating, is hoping to apply for their 3 year training scheme.

That's really good, but I'm aiming at kids in the UK.
That's really good, but I'm aiming at kids in the UK.

My son is English. He went to an International school - hence the A levels. The Pharmaceutical company I am referring to is in England. His school strongly advised him to go to the UK - Durham, natural sciences. Not a degree offered here. But, he didn't want to go. I agree with everything you have said. However, if you can get into one of the top 10 Pharmaceutical companies you are made!

Latest

Trending

Trending