The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Just to give you a bit of Hope, I actually didn't revise for the mock for the Unit 1 Paper and I got an A! :smile: All you have to do is write what you think is right (remember there is not right/wrong answer one can be penalised for)
Original post by louisemayorx
I'll be doing AIC and OMAM (on my birthday, might I add!) and to be honest I'm bricking it. The mystery surrounding what it could be about really gets to me! I know I'll most likely be okay but I'm just quite worried about what it could be about. I think, from reading this thread, I'll be placing my bets on the Candy/dog and Carlson shooting scene or the Lennie/Curley fight for part (a). Then following on from that in part (b) i guess it would be about the instilled prejudiced views of the time and survival of the fittest (linking to Candy's dog and Carlson) or for the other prediction of the Lennie/Curley fight, it could be to do with reputation and masculinity on the ranch. I think these are quite difficult, so they could come up.

For AIC, I'm less worried because of the two options you get, however in every mock I have done, I have only picked the themes question. I am just unsure of how to write so much about one character. We have been taught to make three paragraphs on the question and then a paragraph on settings, symbols and theorists, as well as an intro and conclusion. So I just find there is more to write about for the theme question.

sorry to hear it's on your bday haha :birthday: i'm worried about what they will ask too. I agree with your predictions. However I'm not sure I agree with the reputation one because "importance" already came up in 2013, so that's basically just status. Maybe masculinity though. I'm so worried they'll be like "how does Lennie represent bla bla bla" because then you can't really prepare for that.

And btw for AIC just be aware that there is a tiny chance they could make you choose between two characters, so just have an idea of what to say about each one. You can always use your theme essays and make it into a character essay.
Original post by Ella_08
sorry to hear it's on your bday haha :birthday: i'm worried about what they will ask too. I agree with your predictions. However I'm not sure I agree with the reputation one because "importance" already came up in 2013, so that's basically just status. Maybe masculinity though. I'm so worried they'll be like "how does Lennie represent bla bla bla" because then you can't really prepare for that.

And btw for AIC just be aware that there is a tiny chance they could make you choose between two characters, so just have an idea of what to say about each one. You can always use your theme essays and make it into a character essay.

Do you think they'll make us choose between two themes? Because I am terrible at themes and not sure how to find the themes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
what does everyone think of the theme of responsibility as a possibility for AIC? I don't think its come up before and seems important in the play. maybe they could combine it with a character like shiella who is most accepting of her responsibility.
Original post by tangledinthemist
what does everyone think of the theme of responsibility as a possibility for AIC? I don't think its come up before and seems important in the play. maybe they could combine it with a character like shiella who is most accepting of her responsibility.

Yh I have a feeling that the question would be like 'how does Priestley present responsibility using Sheila and the other characters?' Something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tangledinthemist

I think that it is likely to be the responsibility question. I think that you have to compare how Mr and Mrs Birling took responsibility to how Eric and Sheila reacted.
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Do you think they'll make us choose between two themes? Because I am terrible at themes and not sure how to find the themes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher said they could. I don't think they will, they have never done it before... but you never know. I really hope they don't, i always choose the character questions. For all your character revision you can easily merge it to make some themes. I'm going to mainly revise the themes of youth/vs age and responsibility.
If anyone wants Mr Bruff's A* private members videos, PM me! 10 in depth videos from 15-30 mins each covering English Language (AQA) and English Literature (AQA). Helped me get and A* in Both last year.

Also if you need and guidance/ tips/ notes I Will be happy to help- so drop me a message.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone have any A* Exemplars for Poetry? (Character and Voice)...
That would be so helpful!!!!!!
Original post by GeekMode1
Hi,

My Last Duchess and Brendon Gallacher came up in the AQA 2015 paper. I just had a look at all the past papers and I think this year the questions will be from the following poems:

Medusa
Ozymandias
Give
The Ruined Maid
Checking out me history

Any thoughts?

Hi!
Funny you say that I was talking to my English teacher about this on Friday, I gathered they haven't done Give or the Ruined Maid and Medusa was done in 2011 so they are highly likely to come up, especially since Brendon Gallacher was a new one that hadn't come up and it did last year... so potentially either Give/Ruined Maid could come up...However she did say to me that the following were unlikely to come up as they are also on the new spec for they year 10s:
My Last Duchess
Ozymandias
Checking out Me History

But who knows??
Original post by flowerjas
I am doing Lord of the flies and Of mice and man. oK Most of all I don't feel literally confident and also the most important thing I do to revise is just link everything up. Literally everything with quotes obviously.

What do you think LOTF will be on??
Hi, I'm studying Inspector calls, OMAN and the relationships cluster. Can't believe unit 1 is 2 weeks today!😭
Reply 272
Yup!
I made some quick character profiles for an Inspector Calls if anyone needs it
Any guesses as to which poems are coming up for the relationships cluster? I'm thinking In Paris With You and Nettles.
Reply 275
I think there may be a chance of to his coy mistress coming up, one of the worst poems :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 276
Original post by ImagineCats
I'll shorten my 3 pages into a few lines aha...

1) Curley could be her helper- hence why she's always after him and her name in the book is the possessive of his name
2) Nobody wants to be around her-(CTX) Mistreatment of disabled people/they were excluded from day to day stuff etc
3) She's described to be beautiful and unique- almost how mental ilnesses are portrayed in society
4) Book is set on the Ranch and nowhere else- it's her mind. She's trapped, cannot leave, and maybe she blames her helper/curley for not allowing her to escape from her mind and be free. (Backed up by her hatred towards curley)
5)The way people dismiss her describes how much a taboo mental health is
6) She takes an instant liking to Lennie- they're both mentally disadvantaged maybe?
7) She's always trying to improve herself via make up, etc, so maybe shes beingsomething she isnt- behavioral disorders.
8) When she talks to George about their dreams saying shes seen plenty ofmen here who end up spending their money on prostitutes etc, shes either admiring them for their freedom but saying it in a hurtful way because thats how shes treated by curley OR its a hidden fact that she's been in this mental state forever.

I remember reading over my essay at the end and thinking wtaf have I done with my life

woah omg thats amazing! especially to think about it last minute is commendable!
Reply 277
do you think gerald will come up? he hasnt come in any of the recent papers has he?
Original post by shlokz12
do you think gerald will come up? he hasnt come in any of the recent papers has he?

he hasn't come up in ages!! I have a feeling he will... or Sheila. good luck
Reply 279
Has the Generation gap theme ever come up for An Inspector calls?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending