The Student Room Group

My flatmate is wrongly accusing me of stealing food?!

Quite a while ago one of my flatmates asked me if I had been taking any food from the kitchen that wasn't mine. Apparently she'd had a tin of baked beans stolen and noticed that some of her cutlery had gone missing. I promised her that it wasn't me, but unfortunately no one owned up to it so we never found it who it was (I had my suspicions about who it was, but never had any concrete evidence so didn't want to accuse anyone).

A few weeks passed and she had not mentioned any other food going missing, so I assumed that everything was okay. Unfortunately last weekend one of my family members passed away, and I had to travel home because of it. When I returned to Uni (obviously very upset) I noticed that my flatmate had left a note under my door. It said that some chicken stock cubes and rice had gone missing, and she knew that it was me stealing the food as I didn't answer my door when she knocked. I immediately went to talk to her and told her that I hadn't been at Uni recently, and I'd had a rough couple of days so stealing her food was hardly at the top of my list of things to do. She accused me of lying about being away, said that she will not be civil to me until I replace the things I've taken and that if I didn't stop taking her stuff she'd take some of mine or report me.

I'm now extremely upset and tearful as I'm feeling crappy anyway and now my flatmate is being extremely hurtful towards me. What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by IcedGem000
Quite a while ago one of my flatmates asked me if I had been taking any food from the kitchen that wasn't mine. Apparently she'd had a tin of baked beans stolen and noticed that some of her cutlery had gone missing. I promised her that it wasn't me, but unfortunately no one owned up to it so we never found it who it was (I had my suspicions about who it was, but never had any concrete evidence so didn't want to accuse anyone).

A few weeks passed and she had not mentioned any other food going missing, so I assumed that everything was okay. Unfortunately last weekend one of my family members passed away, and I had to travel home because of it. When I returned to Uni (obviously very upset) I noticed that my flatmate had left a note under my door. It said that some chicken stock cubes and rice had gone missing, and she knew that it was me stealing the food as I didn't answer my door when she knocked. I immediately went to talk to her and told her that I hadn't been at Uni recently, and I'd had a rough couple of days so stealing her food was hardly at the top of my list of things to do. She accused me of lying about being away, said that she will not be civil to me until I replace the things I've taken and that if I didn't stop taking her stuff she'd take some of mine or report me.

I'm now extremely upset and tearful as I'm feeling crappy anyway and now my flatmate is being extremely hurtful towards me. What should I do?

Are you afraid of her? Stand up for yourself, tell the **** to PROVE it was you and not just throw accusations around.

Also tell her to keep her food in her bedroom as she's afraid of confronting anyone else of theft as she's **** scared of them and you are the easy target
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Maybe you're not the only ones living there? Ask her to check her closet or put hidden cameras, just in case. Also, before that do a bet with her. You'll win anyway
-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2054057/Homeless-woman-comes-out-of-closet.html
(edited 8 years ago)
You have to stand up for yourself. Plan everything that you have to say if you have to. Just do it. Bitch needs to know she's wrongfully accusing you. It's not fair to you and you shouldn't have to live with blame that you don't deserve. :smile:
What a bitch.

I'd straight up tell her she can report you all she wants, but you weren't even in the damn city and you didn't steal her crappy food and if she wants to be any more disrespectful towards you and accuse you of things while you were in a different city mourning the death of a loved one she can get a grip and see what a horrible selfish person she is. If she continues I'd publicly shame her, maybe that will show her she's in the wrong.

She has 0 proof it was you and she is out of line.
I was expecting tons, but a rin of beans and some stock cubes lol. These sitiations can get out of hand and posion the atmosphere in a student house.

If it were me I would have a house meeting. Put her accusations out in the open and confrm to the others you werent even in the city when the alleged theft took place.
For the sake of house peace and lifes too short for this sort of nonsense I'd buy 2 packets of stock cubes, a bag of rice and 3 cans of beans and let her choke on them c £2, Let that be the end of it and she' look very unpleasant.

Agree above, tell them you are bored of being wrongly accused and from now on she should keep her food in her bedroom.

Not worth worrying about and not worth having someone droning on about it for the rest of the academic year. Dont feel bad , it will pass and she's an idiot.
She is being crazy about this anyway, a chicken stock cube and some rice? Like I don't condone stealing small things but it's hardly something to make a huge fuss over. If she attacks you over this again I would honestly just walk away from her, say that you've explained you were out of town following a bereavement, don't steal anything and she has no proof then walk away and don't discuss it again. To be frank she can complain all she likes, she has no proof and so no one is going to take any action to you over this. If she steals your food or you are worried about her doing so then keep it in your room.

As for the emotional side, try and keep out of her way and not take it too personally. If you can get some support from other people in your flat that would be good as it will make home feel a bit less hostile. But try and detach yourself from it, you know you didn't steal, she's clearly overstepping the line here.

Your flatmate is an assh*t.

How can she seriously think you're using the death of a family member as a cover to steal some stock cubes ffs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What should I do?

Tell her to fu*ck off if she carries on.
I had a roommate like this.

Here was my plan:

Buy chocolate doughnuts. Inject them with chocolate flavoured laxatives. Leave them and go about my business.

Come back and find out who was on the toilet all night.

Mystery solved.

If someone is stealing food from the apartment, this person is probably stealing your food as well. I would suggest doing the same thing, then holding a house meeting when the person was in the toilet to tell them what you did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending