The Student Room Group

how should the school day be restructured?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
And it was clear then too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah...I'm going to stop speaking to you now.
Original post by jonathanemptage
yeah...I'm going to stop speaking to you now.

If only you didn't start in the first place, you haven't uttered one word of relevance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok regular hours are 9-5 for the most part and your splitting hairs.

How am I splitting hairs? I've never done a job where I worked 9-5, and I'm self-employed. In fact, most people I know don't do 9-5; they do shift work or are self-employed.

How are the school kids of today going to fare at running their own businesses if they don't have to practice at how to adequately keep time, or can't even recognise the notion of taking your work home with you?

Homework interfering with your ability to flick the tv on as soon as you walk through the door doesn't make it worthless.

I've never seen a rational argument in favour of abolishing homework, they mostly centre around an unwillingness to do it. And sure, when I was in education I loathed doing any form of work outside of class... but as I grew older, I realised the importance it has.
Original post by Drunk Punx
How am I splitting hairs? I've never done a job where I worked 9-5, and I'm self-employed. In fact, most people I know don't do 9-5; they do shift work or are self-employed.

How are the school kids of today going to fare at running their own businesses if they don't have to practice at how to adequately keep time, or can't even recognise the notion of taking your work home with you?

Homework interfering with your ability to flick the tv on as soon as you walk through the door doesn't make it worthless.

I've never seen a rational argument in favour of abolishing homework, they mostly centre around an unwillingness to do it. And sure, when I was in education I loathed doing any form of work outside of class... but as I grew older, I realised the importance it has.

well in all the places I've worked it's been 9-5 you always here people saying oh i've got a normal 9-5 job so it's more common than saying oh i work shifts or oh i am self employed (although that is getting more common) 9-5 works out about 40 hours a week which is a full working week. Stateing two exceptions to the rule is splitting hairs.

also some peoples home environment prevents or severely hinders effective home work which is why I'm for implementing a prep system like they do in boarding schools
well in all the places I've worked it's been 9-5 you always here people saying oh i've got a normal 9-5 job so it's more common than saying oh i work shifts or oh i am self employed (although that is getting more common) 9-5 works out about 40 hours a week which is a full working week. Stateing two exceptions to the rule is splitting hairs.

More and more people are working in shifts these days, it's damn difficult to get a 9-5 unless you're in what is considered a "profession". A standard job will be shift work.

also some peoples home environment prevents or severely hinders effective home work which is why I'm for implementing a prep system like they do in boarding schools

Implementing a system to benefit the minority at the expense of the majority? Weak sauce.

I didn't have any spare time when I was at school, I was either in class or on a break. So unless you're suggesting that break time get converted into prep time, I'm not sure how you're going to attempt to implement that.
Original post by Drunk Punx
More and more people are working in shifts these days, it's damn difficult to get a 9-5 unless you're in what is considered a "profession". A standard job will be shift work.

Implementing a system to benefit the minority at the expense of the majority? Weak sauce.

I didn't have any spare time when I was at school, I was either in class or on a break. So unless you're suggesting that break time get converted into prep time, I'm not sure how you're going to attempt to implement that.

make the day longer or start kind of homework club that kids can either go voluntarily of be made to go to if they can't or won't do home work at home.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Filing Cabinet
They should most definitely have a day, say Monday for example where half the day is Maths, and the afternoon is English, then that is the week's lot of those core subjects out of the way with. :yep:

How on earth would you timetable and staff that? And what would those staff do for the rest of the week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending