The Student Room Group

Limited Options (A-Level)

Because of being ill at GCSE but I'm better now, I only passed 5 GCSE's, 6 in English Lang, 6 in English Lit, 5 in Biology, 4 in Maths, and 4 in Chemistry.

Speaking with college, they won't let me do a 3 a levels, and they've accepted me for A level English Literature, and a BTEC in Psychology. I presume BTEC Psychology might be the best for universities but I don't know.

What would be another good option with these results? I aim to do International Relations, or politics but they won't let me take politics or sociology despite meeting the requirements. Should I try for Philosophy?

Should I restructure my university plans?
Reply 1
That sucks that they won't let you take the subjects you want.
If you can't do politics or sociology it's not the end of the world. A lot of unis don't need you to have taken the subject at a level as often times it isn't available especially at secondary school sixth forms. What kind of unis do you want to go to?

I'm going to warn you I've heard btec psych is harder than a level so maybe switch that if you can.
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
That sucks that they won't let you take the subjects you want.
If you can't do politics or sociology it's not the end of the world. A lot of unis don't need you to have taken the subject at a level as often times it isn't available especially at secondary school sixth forms. What kind of unis do you want to go to?

I'm going to warn you I've heard btec psych is harder than a level so maybe switch that if you can.

Yeah it's awful, originally my school was going to just let me take English Lang and Maths. I'm glad other teachers fought for me or I doubt I'd would've got into college, well one that does A-Levels. All the others in my area just do BTECs.

Well, I wanted to go study international relations at SOAS or LSE but I don't know if I can now. I suppose I could maybe do a Psychology degree somewhere or an English Lit degree.

Really never knew it was harder. I think I'll be okay, essay based stuff and lots of reading and comprehension tend to be the stuff I'm good at.

I keep hearing news that universities won't accept BTECs, well good ones anyway. which has me really nervous haha
Reply 3
Original post by Throwaway17
Yeah it's awful, originally my school was going to just let me take English Lang and Maths. I'm glad other teachers fought for me or I doubt I'd would've got into college, well one that does A-Levels. All the others in my area just do BTECs.

Well, I wanted to go study international relations at SOAS or LSE but I don't know if I can now. I suppose I could maybe do a Psychology degree somewhere or an English Lit degree.

Really never knew it was harder. I think I'll be okay, essay based stuff and lots of reading and comprehension tend to be the stuff I'm good at.

I keep hearing news that universities won't accept BTECs, well good ones anyway. which has me really nervous haha

Some don't but most do so don't worry (unless you want to go to Oxbridge). Universities also offer foundation years if you don't meet the entry requirements so it's a lot more flexible than you might have thought.

If you only had 2 GCSEs you would have had to do a level 2 course and you'd probably be unemployable because you wouldn't even be considered to have secondary school qualifications
Reply 4
Original post by Andi.0k
Some don't but most do so don't worry (unless you want to go to Oxbridge). Universities also offer foundation years if you don't meet the entry requirements so it's a lot more flexible than you might have thought.

If you only had 2 GCSEs you would have had to do a level 2 course and you'd probably be unemployable because you wouldn't even be considered to have secondary school qualifications

Yeah Oxbridge don't interest me. I was planning on going to SOAS, LSE, or St Andrews. Do you think that's still viable. One of the other A levels I'm being offered is English language. Do you think English Language, English Literature, and a BTEC psychology, providing I get A*A*D* or similar, is a good combination for that?
Reply 5
Yeah Oxbridge don't interest me. I was planning on going to SOAS, LSE, or St Andrews. Do you think that's still viable. One of the other A levels I'm being offered is English language. Do you think English Language, English Literature, and a BTEC psychology, providing I get A*A*D* or similar, is a good combination for that?

I honestly have no clue as I was looking at a completely different subject to you. Look at the entry requirements for your ideal courses and maybe contact the university if there isn't enough information. Contacting the uni is good for picking one as I was going to apply to Queen's Belfast but they never responded to a question I had.
Reply 6
Original post by Andi.0k
I honestly have no clue as I was looking at a completely different subject to you. Look at the entry requirements for your ideal courses and maybe contact the university if there isn't enough information. Contacting the uni is good for picking one as I was going to apply to Queen's Belfast but they never responded to a question I had.

That's a good idea, thank you for your help. I'm sorry that they didn't respond (Was going to do a smiley face but it gave me an emoji instead so just imagine a colon bracket smiley face here lmaooo)
Reply 7
That's a good idea, thank you for your help. I'm sorry that they didn't respond (Was going to do a smiley face but it gave me an emoji instead so just imagine a colon bracket smiley face here lmaooo)

It's okay it told me that I shouldn't apply so at least they gave me a warning
:h: :smile: lol

Quick Reply

Latest