The Student Room Group

Film Portfolio

I made a very bad portfolio for Kingston, and they emailed me asking to restructure it into either a 3 minute edited video or a 15-20 page document. I'm gonna do the 3 minute video but i can't see any examples anywhere online and they don't give any other details other than what i just said, is it like a reel of shots i've filmed? or is it one full piece ive done? i need as much info as i can please
Reply 1
Think quality here. What is the best three minutes you can pull together to promote yourself and your skillset?
Original post by finnw23
I made a very bad portfolio for Kingston, and they emailed me asking to restructure it into either a 3 minute edited video or a 15-20 page document. I'm gonna do the 3 minute video but i can't see any examples anywhere online and they don't give any other details other than what i just said, is it like a reel of shots i've filmed? or is it one full piece ive done? i need as much info as i can please
Hi @finnw23

I would recommend heading to our additional requirements section on the course page (https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/filmmaking/).

Here it will provide you help on the details you will need to include in your video. For a summary of what the website says, you should be showing the values of questioning, curiosities, technical ability and enthusiasm. You 3 min edited video should be made up of one or more clips from film projects you have made or worked on.

The rest of the information on the website directs you on how to post the video and the formats that will be accepted.

I hope this helped and please let me know if you have any questions!

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)
Hi,

From what I've interpreted what you need to create is a showreel. This will showcase a range of projects you have filmed. So from each project take a clip or two from each one that presents the best part of your film abilities within them and take all of those clips and make one video out of them.

As the website that Kingston has linked says, you need to in the 3 minute video with a range of clips of your work throughout need to portray "questioning, curiosities, technical ability and enthusiasm".

Questioning is described as "Shown through your exploration of ideas, works in progress, sketchbooks, or experiments.
Show the iterative, playful exploration of possibilities; this means trying something more than once in different ways just to see what happens. You can use annotations and captions in your submission to tell us what you were thinking and why, and what you would like to do next."

Curiosities is described as "What influences and interests you? How do you see the world and what are you curious about?
This could be other artists, designers, or performers, but it could be things you do or see every day; what do you like to watch, listen to, read, follow, collect, wear, cook, eat, and do for fun?You can show us your influences and interest through the work you make or perform, the research for a project, or by dedicating part of your submission to your influences or interests."

Technical abilities is described as "What are the different technical skills you have tried out so far? Don't worry if these don't seem related to the subject you are applying for, we know that everyone has been on a different journey to get here.
This could be performing, drawing, designing, making, photographing, painting, composing, dancing, building, filming, writing, curating, directing, weaving, sculpting, or telling stories."

Enthusiasm is described as "Let's see more. Don't hold back, it can be daunting to show your work, but this is your chance to let your work speak for you."

If you can find ways to represent these in your work then you're on the right track. If you're still unsure of how to represent these in your work, I'm sure Kingston would be able to point you in the right direction for what they are expecting in detail as the Rep above has offered more help.

I hope this layout helps and good luck on your journey, best wishes,
Katie F (Film Graduate)
University of Wolverhampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending