The Student Room Group

Drop out of sixth form to run my business?

So i've just turn't 17 and i'm currently in Sixth form studying Business, Finance and Economics and its coming up to exam time and i have zero motivation to study and pass my A levels, i run a e-commerce business outside of school, at the moment it's not consistent, some months i make £2000 but other's i'll only make £750, i'm 100% confident that i can run a successful business as i believe it's in my DNA, i love it and i can't imagine working for someone else in the future, and i have zero plans to go university but i wanted to know what everyone else would do in my situation, and am i even allowed to drop of of sixth form to run a business because i know there's a law to stay in education till 18.
Original post by tballer
So i've just turn't 17 and i'm currently in Sixth form studying Business, Finance and Economics and its coming up to exam time and i have zero motivation to study and pass my A levels, i run a e-commerce business outside of school, at the moment it's not consistent, some months i make £2000 but other's i'll only make £750, i'm 100% confident that i can run a successful business as i believe it's in my DNA, i love it and i can't imagine working for someone else in the future, and i have zero plans to go university but i wanted to know what everyone else would do in my situation, and am i even allowed to drop of of sixth form to run a business because i know there's a law to stay in education till 18.

Damn, well done! :congrats:If you don't mind me asking what is your e-commerce business?
Reply 2
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Damn, well done! :congrats:If you don't mind me asking what is your e-commerce business?

I'm not going to say the exact niche as that takes a lot of time and hard work to find but its electronics. Own a website thats doing well and also got the eBay biz running and soon starting Amazon fulfilment.
What is your website called?
I think you have to be in some sort of education/apprentecship till 18.
Reply 5
Original post by Blackstarr
What is your website called?

I said i wasn't going to tell anyone the products i sell :frown: business is private.
Reply 6
Original post by tballer
I'm not going to say the exact niche as that takes a lot of time and hard work to find but its electronics. Own a website thats doing well and also got the eBay biz running and soon starting Amazon fulfilment.

Perhaps try and put the biz in autopilot until you finish mandatory education. A Levels are a big plus should anything go awry. You need a back up and so it would be silly not to finish your sixth form seeing as you've already invested so much time and effort into it.

Working for yourself can be amazing. Remember though, it's a huge risk and so having A Levels or even an apprenticeship/degree to back you up would be great should anything go wrong.

Personally, if I were you, I would finish my A Levels, then perhaps get a part-time job/degree/apprenticeship, depending on how well my time management is. Doing this succesfully means maximising your gains whilst minimising risk. Ultimately, that's the safest way to go about doing it.
Original post by tballer

This can be quite profitable. Seeing how you are already making this much then that's quite good. The real question here is: what will I do after I leave school? (whenever that may be).

If you have no other thoughts other than business, at all, then you might aswell. However, given the timing now, I would take the exams. My reason would be:
1.It's not that long untill them
2. If I do well, great, I have a bit of a backup if my business fails
3. If I don't do well, oh well I'm my own employer so it doesn't matter.

I would do the exams and then start a business.
Reply 8
Original post by tballer

How did this go I am in the exact same situation as you currently and I want to know if this decision was worth it if you did it

Quick Reply

Latest