The Student Room Group

My sixth form subject choices

So I’m starting sixth form soon and my father really despises the choices that I made and thinks that I will go no where with these choices. I chose a level film studies, btec business and btec creative digital media. Are these good subjects to pursue? Are my university choices low? Also I’m thinking of changing a level film studies to btec applied law, is this a good choice? Any tips will be appreciated
Reply 1
Honestly darling, a university out there will accept you & 6th form has a huge workload, so really and truly you probably want to be doing subjects that you actually enjoy rather than ones that you don't. Maybe look at a few uni courses online and see the requirements? Talk to a careers advisor if your school have one? When I was choosing my options I found this website that lets you put in your choices and see which courses will most likely be available to you at uni: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer If you really want to change to applied law then you should choose your favourite two out of the ones that you have already selected and drop the one you're less keen on. I can't really give you much advice on uni choices because I'm just about to start 6th form too haha. Good luck hun! :biggrin:
my question is what do you want to do in life? what do you want to do in the future
Reply 3
Original post by samcarolinx
my question is what do you want to do in life? what do you want to do in the future

I am not sure. Maybe something related to business or media.
Reply 4
Original post by LokiL
Honestly darling, a university out there will accept you & 6th form has a huge workload, so really and truly you probably want to be doing subjects that you actually enjoy rather than ones that you don't. Maybe look at a few uni courses online and see the requirements? Talk to a careers advisor if your school have one? When I was choosing my options I found this website that lets you put in your choices and see which courses will most likely be available to you at uni: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer If you really want to change to applied law then you should choose your favourite two out of the ones that you have already selected and drop the one you're less keen on. I can't really give you much advice on uni choices because I'm just about to start 6th form too haha. Good luck hun! :biggrin:

The main reason why I might change film studies to applied law is because there could be more choices opening up. the btec creative digital media is kind of similar to film studies. if i do business, media and law there could be a better chance in uni and future for me. however, i am a tad bit more interested in film studies than law
Reply 5
Original post by Sufman
The main reason why I might change film studies to applied law is because there could be more choices opening up. the btec creative digital media is kind of similar to film studies. if i do business, media and law there could be a better chance in uni and future for me. however, i am a tad bit more interested in film studies than law

Maybe have a look at the Universities you are interested in and see if you can do anything with Film Studies, Media and Business and if you don't think there is a lot then change to law? Do you have any sort of vague idea of what you would be interested in pursuing in University? Just make sure that you are being true to yourself with whatever it is you choose, because as I said before the workload is quite heavy and you definitely don't want to be stuck with a subject that you are not interested in. :smile:
Original post by Sufman
I am not sure. Maybe something related to business or media.

oh okay, if you are 100% certain go for it but if you're still thinking maybe choose a completely different subject so your options are open.

https://www.ucas.com/job-subjects/media-studies
You can study media studies.
Related subjects include English language, English literature, English language & literature, sociology, philosophy, psychology, drama, communication, film, government and politics, religious studies, foreign languages.
Reply 7
Original post by LokiL
Maybe have a look at the Universities you are interested in and see if you can do anything with Film Studies, Media and Business and if you don't think there is a lot then change to law? Do you have any sort of vague idea of what you would be interested in pursuing in University? Just make sure that you are being true to yourself with whatever it is you choose, because as I said before the workload is quite heavy and you definitely don't want to be stuck with a subject that you are not interested in. :smile:

I am going to be completely honest. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I have no idea what I want to do at uni. I am mainly interested in media only because I enjoy photoshop and editing videos. I chose business because I have an interest in being self employed. I may choose applied law instead of film studies just because I might be interested in doing other things and there could be more choices in uni. For now, when I’m at sixth form I’ll just see what subjects I like the most and maybe pursue a similar subject in uni :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Sufman
I am going to be completely honest. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I have no idea what I want to do at uni. I am mainly interested in media only because I enjoy photoshop and editing videos. I chose business because I have an interest in being self employed. I may choose applied law instead of film studies just because I might be interested in doing other things and there could be more choices in uni. For now, when I’m at sixth form I’ll just see what subjects I like the most and maybe pursue a similar subject in uni :smile:

There's nothing wrong with not knowing, many sixth forms give you until Oct half term to change subjects, so you still do have plenty of time to think about it & decide ur subjects :biggrin: good luck darling
Reply 9
Original post by samcarolinx
oh okay, if you are 100% certain go for it but if you're still thinking maybe choose a completely different subject so your options are open.

https://www.ucas.com/job-subjects/media-studies
You can study media studies.
Related subjects include English language, English literature, English language & literature, sociology, philosophy, psychology, drama, communication, film, government and politics, religious studies, foreign languages.

Yeah I think I am going to switch A-level Film studies for BTEC Applied Law instead.
Original post by Sufman
Yeah I think I am going to switch A-level Film studies for BTEC Applied Law instead.

that's great i wish you and myself Goodluck for sixth form :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Sufman
So I’m starting sixth form soon and my father really despises the choices that I made and thinks that I will go no where with these choices. I chose a level film studies, btec business and btec creative digital media. Are these good subjects to pursue? Are my university choices low? Also I’m thinking of changing a level film studies to btec applied law, is this a good choice? Any tips will be appreciated

Did you take btec creative media? If so how was it? I've considered doing it, but I don't know anything about it. I would really appreciate it if you tell me everything about it (the good,the bad, the amount of coursework compared to theory and how useful it is). Thank you :smile:
Original post by Sufman

Heya!
If it helps, explore your career choices using prospects, perhaps this will help you with deciding what you want to do in the future at uni :h: You can also use uniguide to explore the courses!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 13
Original post by yak8
Did you take btec creative media? If so how was it? I've considered doing it, but I don't know anything about it. I would really appreciate it if you tell me everything about it (the good,the bad, the amount of coursework compared to theory and how useful it is). Thank you :smile:

Damn I didn't know people were still active on this thread lol. Yeah I took Btec media and now im finally signed off for it. I originally took it because i really enjoyed imedia back in gcse but this was very different. I'm pretty sure that the modules are different for schools. In the final examination (there are no written exams for this btw) I had to do a one minute short film following a brief. Anway I really enjoyed the filmmaking aspects of the course but there was other things I did such as creating a magazine front page, editing a movie trailer, analysing movies etc. The bad side is probably the fact that my teacher was AWFUL. Like really bad at explaining anything, so this may not apply for you. For the coursework, It's not difficult but its really long so dont be like me procrastinating the work untill the last day where I had to just look at ppls work and apply it for my own (talking about a portfolio I had to do on my one minute film). So good luck :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Sufman
Damn I didn't know people were still active on this thread lol. Yeah I took Btec media and now im finally signed off for it. I originally took it because i really enjoyed imedia back in gcse but this was very different. I'm pretty sure that the modules are different for schools. In the final examination (there are no written exams for this btw) I had to do a one minute short film following a brief. Anway I really enjoyed the filmmaking aspects of the course but there was other things I did such as creating a magazine front page, editing a movie trailer, analysing movies etc. The bad side is probably the fact that my teacher was AWFUL. Like really bad at explaining anything, so this may not apply for you. For the coursework, It's not difficult but its really long so dont be like me procrastinating the work untill the last day where I had to just look at ppls work and apply it for my own (talking about a portfolio I had to do on my one minute film). So good luck :biggrin:

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest