The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Diagnostic radiography Derby

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit late to this but I just wanted to get some information from anyone who has recently applied and got an offer. I'm looking to apply for the Msc in Diagnostic Radiography at Derby for sep 2018 start. I currently have a Bsc 2:1 in medical physiology and I'm just waiting to start some work experience in a radiography department alongside my job. I just want to know, how hard is the selection process? Is there a lot of competition ? How difficult is the online test? When should I submit my application by at the latest? Sorry for bombarding with questions, I'm just worried I'm late applying but I also didn't want to apply without any work experience on the application form. Any information would be useful!!
Thanks in advance :smile:
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has done the pre-interview assessment in Derby? What does it entail?
Hi everyone,I'm a bit late to this, but I'm looking to apply for the Msc for Sep 2018. Just wanted to get some basic feedback from anyone who's applied recently and been made an offer. How hard was the application process? Is there lots of competition? Was the selection process difficult especially the online test? I have a 2:1 Bsc in Medical Physiology and I'm currently just waiting to start some work experience in a radiography department. Any information would be useful!Thanks in advance :smile:
Given the limited places on the MSc course, I would say there is a certain level of competition during the selection process. This also reflects how good Derby is in healthcare-related subjects. Don't worry too much about the online test (not difficult in my opinion), but you should prepare well for the interview day! You should really be submitting your application asap!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Helper000
Given the limited places on the MSc course, I would say there is a certain level of competition during the selection process. This also reflects how good Derby is in healthcare-related subjects. Don't worry too much about the online test (not difficult in my opinion), but you should prepare well for the interview day! You should really be submitting your application asap!

Thank you! What kinds of things would you include in the personal statement seeing as it's 500 words? The summary also says about including a written portion after the online test, what would you include in that?

thank you so much
Original post by Noor_malik
Thank you! What kinds of things would you include in the personal statement seeing as it's 500 words? The summary also says about including a written portion after the online test, what would you include in that?

thank you so much

In the personal statement you should explain why you are interested in diagnostic radiography and show that you know about its role. You may include previous work experience/shadowing to back it up. You should also describe yourself and show why you are suited for this profession. I can’t remember what the question is for the written portion after the online test but it’s definitely related to the content you include in your personal statement. You just need to rephrase it.
Hi all. I have an unconditional offer for radiography starting in September (I defered my place last year) can any new or old students inform or of reading/book lists so I can make a start in purchasing these?
(edited 6 years ago)
In the personal statement you should explain why you are interested in diagnostic radiography and show that you know about its role. You may include previous work experience/shadowing to back it up. You should also describe yourself and show why you are suited for this profession. I can’t remember what the question is for the written portion after the online test but it’s definitely related to the content you include in your personal statement. You just need to rephrase it.

Oh I see!! Thank you!! What about the literacy, logic and numeracy test?? I received a link to complete that this week, I just wanted to know how difficult it is or whether I need to prepare for it!?
Oh I see!! Thank you!! What about the literacy, logic and numeracy test?? I received a link to complete that this week, I just wanted to know how difficult it is or whether I need to prepare for it!?

Hi @Noor_malik, I've checked with our teaching team to help give you some insight on this. You shouldn't find the online test to be any more difficult than GCSE Maths and English. It is more about literacy and numeracy rather than more abstract concepts. It may help to have a pocket calculator or equivalent on hand.

I don’t think any specific preparation is needed, other than to prepare the personal qualities section beforehand (which we ask candidates to do anyway), this way you can copy and paste into the relevant section on the form. Remember this should be about your general care experience, rather than your passion for radiography.

On the application form will be a section asking about why you wish to pursue this particular course of study here you should talk about your rationale, motivation, and observational experience; in particular we will be looking for confirmation of your values in accordance with the NHS constitution.

I hope you find that useful and best of luck with completing it.

Ryan
Original post by Scrumpet88
Hi all. I have an unconditional offer for radiography starting in September (I defered my place last year) can any new or old students inform or of reading/book lists so I can make a start in purchasing these?

Congratulations on your offer, @Scrumpet88.

In terms of your reading list, this will be sent out near the start of term to students who have confirmed a place, and are holding an unconditional offer.

Ryan
Original post by University of Derby
Hi @Noor_malik, I've checked with our teaching team to help give you some insight on this. You shouldn't find the online test to be any more difficult than GCSE Maths and English. It is more about literacy and numeracy rather than more abstract concepts. It may help to have a pocket calculator or equivalent on hand.

I don’t think any specific preparation is needed, other than to prepare the personal qualities section beforehand (which we ask candidates to do anyway), this way you can copy and paste into the relevant section on the form. Remember this should be about your general care experience, rather than your passion for radiography.

On the application form will be a section asking about why you wish to pursue this particular course of study here you should talk about your rationale, motivation, and observational experience; in particular we will be looking for confirmation of your values in accordance with the NHS constitution.

I hope you find that useful and best of luck with completing it.

Ryan

Thank you so much for your help! It's very much appreciated!
Hi,
Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from the university after the interview??

Thanks!
Hi,
Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from the university after the interview??

Thanks!

How was your interview?
How was your interview?

Hi,

My interview went well. I’ve been offered a place to study the course starting September!

Many thanks for all the help
:smile:
Hi,

My interview went well. I’ve been offered a place to study the course starting September!

Congratulations and well done

See you in September :smile:
Reply 35
Hi,

Congratulations 😊 was the interview difficult?
Original post by Becksee
Congratulations 😊 was the interview difficult?

Thank you!

It wasn’t too difficult but you do need to prepare for it beforehand.
Hi,

Hi,

I’m looking to study this course next September. I was just wondering how long it took for you to have an interview from putting in your application, and if you had any time out between your Bsc and applying?
Also, what work experience did you have?

Thanks!!
Original post by Vicky_pw
Hi,

I’m looking to study this course next September. I was just wondering how long it took for you to have an interview from putting in your application, and if you had any time out between your Bsc and applying?
Also, what work experience did you have?

Thanks!!

Hi,

After submitting my application I got my interview within two weeks. But I know this varies for everyone, I put in my application quite late.

Yes, I did have time out between my BSc and applying, I took a few months off and after graduating in July 17’ then worked for ~6months at a hospital. I was still working when I applied.

I gained work experience at an A&E x-ray department for 8 sessions.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending