The Student Room Group

AQA SCLY3 and SCLY4 2016

Hey! I couldn't find any other threads for A2 Soc, so here we go.
I'm studying Religion and Crime and Deviance w/ research methods and whatnot - if anyone needs a hand I'll try to help you out or someone else might be able to!

Good luck!

P.S. SCLY3 is on 20/06/, SCLY4 is on 23/06

Scroll to see replies

Hey!
Quick question for you, how are you revising Crime and Deviance w/ Research Methods?
Reply 2
Original post by ChloeElizabeth01
Hey!
Quick question for you, how are you revising Crime and Deviance w/ Research Methods?

I'm studying psychology alongside soc so my knowledge of research methods is already pretty good but I feel like its just a case of working out which methods would go with which topics and trying to make essay plans/short snippets of AO1 and AO2 that I can memorise and expand in the essay. The source also kinda feels like a blessing so as long as I've covered the topic in hoping the source will drag the knowledge from the back of my mind 😂
Anyone doing Global Development and Crime and Deviance?
Original post by Armastan
Anyone doing Global Development and Crime and Deviance?

I am!
I am!

There's so much to remember for Global Development :frown: It's crazy!
Original post by Armastan
There's so much to remember for Global Development :frown: It's crazy!

I know, but I think, if you can understand like the main theories inside out, then its pretty easy to apply them across the board for all the topics. Its just difficult, the textbooks and resources for the unit are so poor. But, its the less common unit to do, as not many examiners know the content, so it gets marked a bit nicer apparently!
I know, but I think, if you can understand like the main theories inside out, then its pretty easy to apply them across the board for all the topics. Its just difficult, the textbooks and resources for the unit are so poor. But, its the less common unit to do, as not many examiners know the content, so it gets marked a bit nicer apparently!

That's good to know! I think once I've got my head around all the theories and their general perspective then it will definitely be easier to remember everything else.
Reply 8
Hey I'm studying religion and crime and deviance too. Do you know what the predictions for the paper may be this year?

What questions came up last year?
Reply 9
Original post by 06052008
Hey I'm studying religion and crime and deviance too. Do you know what the predictions for the paper may be this year?

I'm not sure what came up last year, but making predictions is pretty useless as AQA essentially pick the topics for the questions out of a hat
Original post by 06052008

I'm doing religion and crime and deviance too! Apparently social policy has never come up before and neither has a question on modernity/post-modernity, they are the two essay areas i've been told to look at. Apparently functionalist theory hasn't been on there as an essay question for a while either?
Hope that helps!
Anyone doing beliefs in society and wants to revise/ exchange notes? :smile:
Reply 12
does anyone know of a simple way to revise action theories
Okay, is anyone else doing Global Development, and if so, how are you revising it?

Also, those doing Crime & Deviance, how are you revising it? Beginning to panic as theres too much content :frown:
Okay, is anyone else doing Global Development, and if so, how are you revising it?

Also, those doing Crime & Deviance, how are you revising it? Beginning to panic as theres too much content :frown:

For global development, I've been going through my notes and highlighting key words, studies, information etc
Planning out essays is also useful to revise from
But there's only a few days left to revise so I've just been going over my notes

As for crime and deviance... I don't even wanna think about how much there is to do lol
Global development seems like a piece of cake compared to crime, there's just so much to remember! The best thing to do at this point in time is that you make sure you're revising key information and a few studies for each theory/topic. I wouldn't try to remember everything because that would be stressful. Make sure you know key words because of you forget anything in the exam, putting key words in can gain you some marks. I know this because one of my friends who did it last year said she just waffled through and inserted a few key words and she got a B.
Has anybody got any predictions for sociology beliefs or crime and deviance? I've left my revision so last minute and am willing to take a risk by only revising the predicted topics! Please can anyone help!?
Hey, has anyone got any global development predictions?
Reply 17
Who reckons what the questions will be for Unit 3 2016???
Reply 18
I understand the material quite well but I'm really bad at applying it to an exam structure which is why I got a C last year when I need a B for University.

Any A-A* students got any advice on essay structure and exam technique? Timings? If I'm writing a paragraph about a theoretical approach to something, how much time should I spend describing the theory compared to applying it to the topic? Can I get an A grade overall on the exam using purely the material from the Webb textbook or do I need to prove external reading?

Thanks for any help on any of these. Getting desperate in these last few days :'(
Reply 19
Anyone else doing power and politics with crime and deviance? My college seems to be like the only one lol :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending