The Student Room Group

What is the difference between indeterminism and free will?

Was just reading a wikipedia article, and this is what it said

"Incompatibilism

Baron d'Holbach was a hard determinist."Hard determinists", such as d'Holbach, are those incompatibilists who accept determinism and reject free will. "Metaphysical libertarians", such as Thomas Reid, Peter van Inwagen, and Robert Kane, are those incompatibilists who accept free will and deny determinism, holding the view that some form of indeterminism is true.[19] Another view is that of hard incompatibilism which states that free will is incompatible with both determinism and indeterminism. This view is defended by Derk Pereboom."

I always thought indeterminism meant free will....but this sentence appears to suggest otherwise... Can someone please explain this to me?
Reply 1
Yes it does mean free will. All it means is that more than one option is available to you but it doesn't mean that all the options are equally likely to be chosen, coz of environmental factors etc.

The mistake Van Inwagen makes is that he appears to equate it with randomness (and presumable also this Pereboom chap I've never heard of) as the cause cannot be determined.

You are right, ignore Wikipedia, its often incorrect.
If you want a more detailed answer then let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Latest

Trending

Trending