The Student Room Group

Taking a few years out after graduating and starting Foundation training

Is it possible to take a few years out between graduating from medical school and commencing foundation training? (for family and personal matters) If this was the case, I understand there would be fitness to practice tests and probably retaking exams to check my level of knowledge is acceptable. But would delaying foundation training for a vast duration of time prevent me from ever practicing in the future?

Also, are there good options at all for careers that I could get into only holding the BMBS medical degree and not foundation training?

Thanks!
I believe there is a fixed amount of time you need to complete F1 after graduating and if you do not complete it in that time then you will never be able to register with the GMC as a fully licensed doctor.

I gather it's more typical to take time out after foundation training before commencing specialty training (as at that point you will be fully registered with the GMC and have some experience and can locum and such for money if you wish).

@GANFYD may know more about how it works?
Reply 2
Original post by snepspell
Is it possible to take a few years out between graduating from medical school and commencing foundation training? (for family and personal matters) If this was the case, I understand there would be fitness to practice tests and probably retaking exams to check my level of knowledge is acceptable. But would delaying foundation training for a vast duration of time prevent me from ever practicing in the future?

Thanks!

"You can hold provisional registration for a maximum of three years and 30 days (1,125 days). Most doctors complete Foundation Year 1 (F1) within 12 months.

Once you reach your maximum allocation of days, your provisional registration will expire and we will remove your name from the medical register. Once this has happened, you won't be able to apply for provisional registration again, so it's important that you tell us if you need more time before it expires."

https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-and-licensing/join-the-register/provisional-registration/time-limit-on-provisional-registration

You would be better off starting foundation training and at the very least completing FY1. There are options for less than full time training - this is likely to be a better way of doing things than just taking an indeterminate number of years out.

Also, are there good options at all for careers that I could get into only holding the BMBS medical degree and not foundation training?

Well they won't be medical careers as you will need to complete the Foundation Programme first. It would be the usual range of graduate jobs as with any other bachelor's degree: grad schemes, teaching, civil service, and so on. Pharma jobs are likely to want some medical work experience, but I might be wrong about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending