The Student Room Group

May have been caught speeding

Today i was doing around 35 in a 30(according to my speedo, i dont think its accurate though. There was a sign up once that said i was doing 25 when my speedo said 30. I trust the speedo more than the sign though) and i saw a policeman at the side of the road with a speed gun. As soon as i saw him i slowed to around 27-8MPH. I slowed around 100 meters before i got to him. There was also a car in front of me going slowly (25mph).
He pointed the gun at the floor when i was going past him (there was a car behind me but not that close).
Advice?
Am i gonna get get done for it?
I wasnt stopped and they didnt signal for me to stop.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
They probably wouldn't tell you to stop. We can speculate but at the end of the day, you'll have to wait a few weeks and see if you get the dreaded letter. Were there cars in front of you? Perhaps he was busy scanning the cars in front by the time you've slowed down.
Original post by NX172
They probably wouldn't tell you to stop. We can speculate but at the end of the day, you'll have to wait a few weeks and see if you get the dreaded letter. Were there cars in front of you? Perhaps he was busy scanning the cars in front by the time you've slowed down.

There was only one car in front of me.
I didnt see him point it at me (i cant imagine he wouldnt have pointed it at me).
They did seem to scan the car in front a lot (it was a learner driver).

They didnt turn around and zap me again. I didnt speed up afterwards. Stayed at 30.
Maybe maybe not.... how can we know? You will just have to wait and see.
Original post by 17inchGuns
Maybe maybe not.... how can we know? You will just have to wait and see.

There is no way to know. I was just trying to see if anyone had any similar experiences or knew anything more about this sort of stuff. Like speed limit buffers (30 + 10% speed).
I will wait but its gonna be a couple of weeks. I did slow down to below the limit and 35 on my speedo is slower than 35 so i dont know if that will help me.
The car in front was above 30 also. I wasnt catching them doing 35 so surely they should get done too if i do.
Ive just done a test on my speedo.
I drove for 1 miles at 30mph on the speedo.
I timed how long it took 2m 11s
My speedo is 3 mph out of sync.
I was actually driving at 27mph.
Therefore i was only doing 32 instead of 35 which isnt as bad. I probably then slowed to around 25mph.
I feel happier now but ill wait and see.
Reply 6
As something to practice for the future, perhaps get used to how 25, 30 and 35 MPH feels like. Experienced drivers can usually tell the speed without looking.
I always thought that if it's a policeman with a speed gun, they stop you there and then, issue points/fine etc, rather than send the letter in the post...? Thought you only got the letter if it were from an actual camera?
Original post by NX172
As something to practice for the future, perhaps get used to how 25, 30 and 35 MPH feels like. Experienced drivers can usually tell the speed without looking.

I will do that. I can sort of tell how fast im going but the speedo moves around a lot, even when my foot stays in the same place. The needed just goes up and down, its really confusing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending