The Student Room Group

Would I be able to get into Cambridge?

I'm currently in year 11 and doing my last year of GCSEs. Last year I went on a trip with my school g&t group (there was about ten of us) to Cambridge university and I just fell in love! The feel was amazing and everyone seemed so motivated and like-minded, not to mention how beautiful the city and the university was. The only college I saw was Pembroke, but since then I've looked at all the colleges and the course I want to do in detail, and can't imagine studying anywhere else!
I want to do an economics undergrad degree and then take an mba, preferably both at Cambridge. I know there's probably hundreds of threads just like this but I genuinely am confused about whether or not there's a chance I could get in? I know I haven't taken my GCSEs yet, but my mock grades both this year and last year were good and I'm feeling positive for my GCSEs.
My predicted/target grades are:
Maths- A*
English lit- A*
English language- A*
Core science- A (this is the one I took last year so this is my confirmed grade)
Additional science-A*
Drama- A
History- A
textiles- A
Further maths- A/A* (we haven't done a proper mock on this so I am unsure which grade I would achieve but I've been getting both in homework and class work)
French- A/B (this is the only subject I'm worried about as I'm unsure as to whether I can achieve the A. My teacher says I am on track for either and A or a high B, depending on how I do in my exam at the end of the year, as in my controlled assessments I am averaging an A)

For my AS levels I have chosen to do maths, further maths, economics and drama and would be taking them all on into A levels. I'm not sure how I will do in these subjects but I've spoken to my teachers and they seem to think I can get top grades in them(I'm aiming for As in further maths and drama, and A*s in maths and economics).
So do you think I'd be a strong candidate for Cambridge based on my grades and A level subjects?(I know drama is probably not the best option to take and I know that they will most likely not consider the grade I get in it but I figured that by taking my other three into A level then it wouldn't matter, and I just love the subject so much, but would consider dropping it if you think my application would be stronger without it, and take another subject instead)
Thankyou!
Reply 1
Of course. As usual, GCSE grades aren't really that important - it's achieving those A-level grades that's going to determine whether you're worthy of a place.
Anyone with A*s at GCSE who then goes on to get A and A* grades at A level has a chance of getting into Cambridge, providing they have a reference that confirms they're not a terrible person and have chosen relevant A levels. Your A levels include those subjects relevant for Economics at Cambridge and your GCSE predictions are good (don't get caught up in worrying about the occasional B you might get). So yes, you have a chance.

Having said that, Economics is one of the most over subscribed courses at Cambridge and they do require a high level of maths as it's a very mathematical course. So there's competition for places from people who will be just as qualified as you are, and the interviewers will be looking for certain types of learners too - the interview is used as a way of seeing whether you could thrive in the Cambridge teaching environment. There are other great courses at other wonderful universities where they will be motivated students who you can surround yourself with. Everything at Cambridge is not picture perfect and so do try not to put it on a pedestal and have it as your be-all-and-end-all.
Reply 3
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
I'm currently in year 11 and doing my last year of GCSEs. Last year I went on a trip with my school g&t group (there was about ten of us) to Cambridge university and I just fell in love! The feel was amazing and everyone seemed so motivated and like-minded, not to mention how beautiful the city and the university was. The only college I saw was Pembroke, but since then I've looked at all the colleges and the course I want to do in detail, and can't imagine studying anywhere else!
I want to do an economics undergrad degree and then take an mba, preferably both at Cambridge. I know there's probably hundreds of threads just like this but I genuinely am confused about whether or not there's a chance I could get in? I know I haven't taken my GCSEs yet, but my mock grades both this year and last year were good and I'm feeling positive for my GCSEs.
My predicted/target grades are:
Maths- A*
English lit- A*
English language- A*
Core science- A (this is the one I took last year so this is my confirmed grade)
Additional science-A*
Drama- A
History- A
textiles- A
Further maths- A/A* (we haven't done a proper mock on this so I am unsure which grade I would achieve but I've been getting both in homework and class work)
French- A/B (this is the only subject I'm worried about as I'm unsure as to whether I can achieve the A. My teacher says I am on track for either and A or a high B, depending on how I do in my exam at the end of the year, as in my controlled assessments I am averaging an A)

For my AS levels I have chosen to do maths, further maths, economics and drama and would be taking them all on into A levels. I'm not sure how I will do in these subjects but I've spoken to my teachers and they seem to think I can get top grades in them(I'm aiming for As in further maths and drama, and A*s in maths and economics).
So do you think I'd be a strong candidate for Cambridge based on my grades and A level subjects?(I know drama is probably not the best option to take and I know that they will most likely not consider the grade I get in it but I figured that by taking my other three into A level then it wouldn't matter, and I just love the subject so much, but would consider dropping it if you think my application would be stronger without it, and take another subject instead)
Thank you!

Economics is as competitive as Medicine at Cambridge and you need a very high level of Maths so A*A* at GCSE is a good start. The minimum offer is now A*A*A at A2 and is is quite likely they might specify that was from Maths/FM/Economics. To strengthen your application another subject such as an essay subject or language or even Physics would be better. Since most Economics applicants don't get a Cambridge offer it is worth being aware that some Economics courses whilst valuing maths only consider FM as a fourth A level and would also prefer a more traditional third. Most successful applicants, but not all, are in the 7-10A* at GCSE for Economics at Cambridge. The majority have 4 or 5 A2.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending