The Student Room Group

Is cambridge worth it?

I’ve just finished my first term at cambridge (studying natsci) and have found it super intense and stressful. i’ve spent a lot of the holiday working just so that i can feel caught up as well as start revision for a mock exam i have in january.
When talking to friends at other universities i’m shocked by the lack of work and contact hours they have, and feel myself wishing mine was easier. Even people doing similar degrees at other high ranked russell group unis seem to have such minimal contact hours and not much work. Is there actually worth in a Cambridge degree vs somewhere else? Why am i putting in so much effort compared to them? why is it so hard to keep up? What do i get out of it from all this work?

Any thoughts on this would be so appreciated!

Struggling to feel like my hard work was/is worth it, and feeling like I shouldn’t be here if I can’t keep up
I am replying as your last few words concerned me. You have earned your place at Cambridge and your interviewers rated your ability and potential highly. 'Imposter syndrome' can occur but the selection process is thorough.

Cambridge courses are intense, the terms are short and it is expected that 'holiday' time is used for studying.

Is it worth it? Only you can decide what is best for you - but your view on this may be different now, in 3 years time, 10 years time and 30 years time.

Throughout your course, you may find your study methods/routines adapt and this may make the high workload more manageable. Focus on making connections within your peer group (eg join a WhatsApp group for others on your course) so that you have support from others going through the same experience. Spending Sundays in the library with some friends can feel less stressful than sitting alone for hours at a desk in your room.

There is a lot of support available within the colleges so do reach out and discuss any concerns you have with the academic staff. They will have heard all this before so don't worry about speaking out

Finally, the grass is always greener.... You may think it is great at other unis but the people there may be envious of the Cambridge college lifestyle with a hot meal waiting at the end of a busy day in the lab (instead of a trip to Aldi and cooking in a shared kitchen...).
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve just finished my first term at cambridge (studying natsci) and have found it super intense and stressful. i’ve spent a lot of the holiday working just so that i can feel caught up as well as start revision for a mock exam i have in january.
When talking to friends at other universities i’m shocked by the lack of work and contact hours they have, and feel myself wishing mine was easier. Even people doing similar degrees at other high ranked russell group unis seem to have such minimal contact hours and not much work. Is there actually worth in a Cambridge degree vs somewhere else? Why am i putting in so much effort compared to them? why is it so hard to keep up? What do i get out of it from all this work?

Struggling to feel like my hard work was/is worth it, and feeling like I shouldn’t be here if I can’t keep up

definitely worth looking into opportunities to change course rather than dropping out
yours happens to be one of the more demanding degree options
Original post by Anonymous #1

Natural Sciences is a prestigious degree. Also, Cambridge University has a global world class reputation. You must have impressed the admissions tutors, that you could get at least a 2:1 degree during interviews.

Also, the Colleges at Cambridge University, all have long hours of opening for studying and ample resources. So make use of them.

Try to study with one friend in your College, who is also studying Natural Sciences. You can compare your notes and discuss ideas.

You must have achieved at least A*AA or more in your A-Levels and are clearly an able student.

More importantly, you would be foolish to drop out. Because other universities don't have an 'exclusive' Supervision system like at Cambridge University!!! 😀

You also get all your meals in College, which are cheaper than preparing your own meals and room rent is cheaper than all other universities as well as being able to get access to any textbook, as Cambridge University Library receives a copy of every book by law. 😉 lol

Just focus on the hard topics first, break them down in manageable parts in a to do list, as well as seeking help from others on your Natural Sciences course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending