The Student Room Group

White Ink Tattoo

I had never seen them before until one day I found them on instagram and fell in love !

I do like the traditional black ink tattoos but if i wanted one on my wrist then I like the fact that it is not totally visible as it makes it more private for me.

The only thing is I have heard that people can take bad reactions to the ink and that they have a larger risk of going wrong..

What are people's thoughts ? Does anyone have a white ink tattoo that can share their experience ?
I have white in a monochrome tattoo. It was used to increase contrast and put highlights on some areas. Didn't notice any difference between areas that were white and those that were black or grey. Everyone is different though. If you are very concerned get a small area tattooed somewhere discreet and wait a while before going ahead with a larger, more visible tattoo.

Most importantly find a good quality studio with an excellent reputation. If it's out of budget, save for longer. Tattoos are not something to go bargain hunting for!
Reply 2
Never heard of it.
I better google.
Your best bet is asking a tattoo artist (most studios will do free consultations). Find a studio that you like and is good and ask the right artist (ideally the one you want to do your tattoo).

As far as I'm aware, white ink isn't significantly more risky, but when it is used it tends to be more in colour tattoos (so a lot of ink of other colours will also be present), but DO NOT take my word for it. See a professional.
Reply 4
Original post by Quilverine
I have white in a monochrome tattoo. It was used to increase contrast and put highlights on some areas. Didn't notice any difference between areas that were white and those that were black or grey. Everyone is different though. If you are very concerned get a small area tattooed somewhere discreet and wait a while before going ahead with a larger, more visible tattoo.

Most importantly find a good quality studio with an excellent reputation. If it's out of budget, save for longer. Tattoos are not something to go bargain hunting for!

Yeah i have seen white ink being used as an accent in black ink tattoos, but the ones i am talking about are purely done in white ink.

The tattoo I would want would only be the size of a 50p anyway but I would want it on my wrist so I would want it to go wrong and have a reminder on a part of my body that I always see.

Thanks for the advice though ! :smile::smile:
Reply 5
Original post by M14B
Never heard of it.
I better google.

Yeah I had never heard of it either until I saw someone get one via instagram.

They are quite cool and I like them because they are more discreet than traditional tattoos, and since i would want it done on my wrist I would want something that isn't too obvious and that I could cover easily for work
Probably looks good if you have dark skin
Reply 7
Original post by Gwilym101
Your best bet is asking a tattoo artist (most studios will do free consultations). Find a studio that you like and is good and ask the right artist (ideally the one you want to do your tattoo).

As far as I'm aware, white ink isn't significantly more risky, but when it is used it tends to be more in colour tattoos (so a lot of ink of other colours will also be present), but DO NOT take my word for it. See a professional.

I think I will wait a few months but i will definitely choose wisely when it comes to what tattoo parlour and I will have a consultation beforehand.

Thanks for your help ! :smile:
I honestly feel like white ink tattoos look a bit like scars :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Leviathan1741
I honestly feel like white ink tattoos look a bit like scars :s-smilie:

Yeah I have seen some and they do look more like scarring. I prefer the ones where the white ink is more visible, but then I don't know if that is just because the tattoo is newer in those photos and that it fades to look more like scarring.

i think I just don't want a tattoo done in black ink for my wrist and I want something softer and feminine like a pale blue maybe
Reply 10
The pictures I saw were not appealing.
They looked as if they were made by a hot iron like branding cows.

Quick Reply

Latest